Inn by the Sea
La Valencia Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$348
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
US$413
US$374
Official Site
Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$202
US$172
  • Restaurant
Sheraton La Jolla Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$204
US$165
  • Pool
La Jolla Shores Hotel(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$281
Hotels.com
  • Pool
La Jolla Beach Travelodge(La Jolla)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$140
US$430
US$397
  • Pool
All reviewsiced coffeegreat locationocean viewwithin walking distanceon site parkingnice balconybreakfast roomfloor roomshops and restaurantsshort walkla jolla covewould stay here againsmall poolparking feetop floorbeds were comfortablecomplimentary breakfast
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel in March. The location is fantastic, right in the center of La Jolla and walkable to everything. However, despite the refreshed lobby, the corridors and room were pretty dated and dismal. The toiletries look like they were pulled out of storage from the 70's. Our room had an odd smell, I think it was the detergent used on the sheets, that didn't go away the whole time we were there. $12 for parking which one could avoid by finding street parking and moving the car in the morning. It seemed like they were training staff. The front desk person didn't look up once as we walked past entering and leaving. I'm used to a friendlier greeting at most hotels. My mom forgot her toothbrush so around 9:00 I called down to the front desk to ask if they had any. 'Yes, we do", I was told. When my mom went down to get it, the person looked around and said, 'Oh, sorry, I guess we ran out". Just in front of my mom was a man who was asking for some extra coffee. Same story, they had just run out! My pillows were rock hard and very thick. I would stay here again only for the location.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rainsoaked
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed here from Feb. 24-29. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and was very impressed with the reception staff who greeted me upon arrival and the great location. I felt very much at home here and felt that all my needs were met. The amazing thing with this hotel is that my unusual requests were met. This is the first hotel that I have stayed at that has a card that you can place on your door knob indicating that you need the room made up early. As a bird watcher, I am always out before sunrise and return to my hotel room early. It was so wonderful to be able to return to a freshly made up room. The included breakfast was wonderful with healthy choices. There were plenty of fruits and hot and cold items. One could not leave hungry and it was more than a usual continental breakfast. The location of the breakfast room allowed you to eat indoors or around the pool. I found that the hotel location was perfect. I could walk out of my room and be at the cove in just a few minutes. I enjoyed strolling downtown, attending the farmers' market and not feeling rushed. The atmosphere is perfect and allows one to relax. I was able to use the pool and found it was fun meeting other guests there. The one time I needed to take the bus, it was just a three minute walk to the stop. In the evening there is iced coffee and apples available. I recommend this hotel for people who don't want to be driving everywhere and can enjoy the atmosphere of La Jolla without parking and route searches. I will definitely book this hotel on my next visit and hope to stay even longer.

Room Tip: I was placed on the fifth floor which is called the Penthouse floor and I had an oceanview room.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank gloria023
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Hotel is conveniently located in downtown La Jolla. Benefits include ability to walk to nice shops, beach (cove), good selections for complimentary continental breakfast, fruit and coffee in the afternoon in the lobby. Lobby was renovated in the past 2 years.
Concerns include the lack of A/C when the weather is warmer sooner than expected, side of the building facing the alley has the "oceanview". This side faces west and the heat from the sun can make these rooms unbearably hot with no A/C. Hotel staff are sympathetic but unable to do anything. As the "oceanview" rooms are the most expensive, having hot rooms really doesn't make sense.
The street facing rooms are cooler, but can be noisier. I choose the street side rooms because they are cooler, and hope they have a quieter room.
Overall, I stay here every 6 months when I am visiting my family in La Jolla. I hope that the temperature cooperates as the management is seemingly unwilling to allow guests have the benefit of A/C when needed.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the oceanview in late winter/early spring before management has turned on their A/C.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Traveller1615
Reviewed 14 March 2012

nice hotel in great location. a short and pleasant walk to the beach as well as to shops, restaurants and groceries. room was clean and air conditioner/heat/fan was quiet! street parking is free, most times i was able to find a spot in front. otherwise lots of street parking within a short walk. nice continental breakfast. i do wish my room had had a mini-fridge.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Patte R
Reviewed 1 March 2012

Booked in here on a business trip. Rooms are good and spacious. Everything was up to standard.

the only thing to mention is that the included breakfast, is provided as abasic buffet with lots of stuff available, but there is no service everthing is self service. This did not seem to match with the quality of the rest of the hotel, but was more than adequate with lots available. The hottel could do with making more space available for breakfast.

The rooms were very nice with tea and coffee available to make in your room along with an iron & board. Also ther was complimentary coffee and fruit proved at various times in the lobby which was good.

They also provided a free pc in the lobby with internet and printer. Wifi was available free in the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business