“Fabulous location”
Review of Inn by the Sea

Inn by the Sea
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Awesome location, great service and attentiveness - we were traveling with three young children, and we had a great oceanviwe room.

• Stayed: February 2011
1  Thank Dltbst

Reviewed 2 March 2011

ask for "penthouse" ie., top floor and "ocean" view (you can kind of see the ocean in between a big building. close to sea walk, grocery and restaraunts. very dated but well maintained (except for the chair I am sitting in which is breaking...) staff pleasant but not to knowledgable of the area. very quiet, however I am visting off season. nice little balcony. could not adjust room temp so HOT in the day and COLD at night. breakfast a nice value. would come back as this is the least expensive hotel I have stayed in in over 10 years....ps NO frills here, pool is small. no exercise room. no paper in the mornig. no food except breakfast.older tv. furniture sad, but for the purpose of sleep not so bad.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank tomuchtravel
Reviewed 21 February 2011

The hotel was not luxerious but was clean with good comfortable beds. The breakfast that was included with the room included premade cheese omeletts. sausage links, various muffons, fruit, yogurt and juices. The pool was a small wading pool type pool suitable for children. The area had restaurants with in walking distance and was a fairly quiet location in a business district. Parking was not free but ample.
Received good service from front desk clerk who figured out the problem with the TV not being properly hooked into the cable. As a former IT professional, I think she has the trouble shooting skills to join that field. (earlier post mentioned bugs, our room was very clean and free of any pests)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2011

Great value! We were within walking distance of everything from the ocean to restaurants, galleries, and shops. We had an ocean view with an incredible sunset view. Any request we had was quickly taken care of by the staff. The $12 a day parking seems ridiculous but worth not having to look for a space when you arrived back at the hotel. Breakfast was not great but coffee and fruit was always available in the lobby. We stayed eight nights and would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2010

We stayed on the 5th floor with an ocean view. We experienced magnificent sunsets from our balcony. Many of the hotels in La Jolla don't have balconies. The rooms are spacious and clean. Could walk to beach, shops, restaurants, and grocery store.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I stayed at the hotel Dec 4th - Dec 6th...woke up on the morning of Dec. 6th and saw a dark small bug crawling across my pillow. I smashed the bug...blood came out. I began to look for more bed bugs and found 2 more hidden in the folds of the bedskirt. I stayed in room 314. I called the manager to notify him, and asked him, " have you had a history of bed bugs in this hotel"? His response, " I wouldn't say we've had a history of bed bugs, we have had an occasional occurence". Will never stay here again!...and will always check the bed bug hotel registry before I go stay anywhere.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
7  Thank TEE008
bwibts, General Manager at Inn by the Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2011

I wanted to wait a bit before I responded to this comment for a couple of reasons. Most importantly; I hope that those of you concerned can now assume that the isolated problem (in fact only one guest room) has now been corrected. There have been no similar comments on Trip Advisor for the last six months!

We responded as a well run property should.

The room was isolated.
Adjoining rooms were also inspected.
Trained pest control specialists did there job (over a two week period).
The problem was resolved.

In house and third party inspections continue, and you can rest assured (pun intended) any similar occurrences will be dealt with promptly and professionally just as this isolated issue was.

Sheldon Joyner
BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn by the Sea
858-459-4461

Reviewed 3 December 2010

(Our visit: October 28 thru November 1) Our stay here for 5 nights was very average. Our room which was in the back of the hotel was nothing special. It overlooked what appeared to be a condominium community and the parking lot. Everything was clean enough and the beds were comfortable, but the house keeping service was lacking. I leave a DAILY tip for the maids since I like for the person cleaning my room to get the immediate reward and not to have to worry if I tipped the right people due to shift changes. I faithfully left a $5 bill every morning as we left for the day. By day two, we no longer received the bedside chocolates, the tissue box container metal plate was left lying on the floor the entire time, and not once were we given any shampoo refills. My Mom was laughing at me as I faithfully tipped every morning, but would return to find the same items lacking. The staff at the reception desk was friendly and responsive to any requests. With no special view or amenities, I might try and stay elsewhere for the price.

The morning breakfast was the usual fare. I liked the fact that they had two elevators. We did not use the pool. Parking was an extra $12/day. The courtesy computer had a printer attached. In the afternoons there was iced coffee in the lobby. There was also a bowl of apples in the lobby that was always kept stocked.

The walk to La Jolla Coves was just 5 minutes which was nice to run down for the sunset over the Children’s Pool area. We enjoyed the pastries and coffee at the Aroma Café La Jolla, virtually across the street.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family