“Friendly, super comfortable, great rooms!”

Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Location is great - short walk to Prospect St shops, restaurants and beach. Accomodations were great (nice linens, good towels and toiletries, comfy robes, clean, big room) and the staff and restaurant folks were all very friendly. Parking wasn't as big an issue as I thought as 2-hour parking on side street was always available and thus from 4 pm to 10 am I didn't have to worry about moving the car. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 October 2012

Great hotel superbly located in La Jolla. Very welcoming and friendly staff. Beautiful room. Breakfast on patio in California sunshine. Excellent facilities including free use of PC with internet. It is one of the Pacifica Hotels group and we had stayed in another of their hotels in Pismo Beach. Based on both experiences we would gladly stay in any of their other hotels. Wonderful Hawai Sushi restaurant just across the road. Parking tip - La Jolla has restricted on street parking between 8.00 a.m. and 6.00 p.m. and is limited to one hour on Fay Avenue where the hotel is located. However, there is a two hour limit just around the corner. So we parked there overnight and then went out for the day before 10.00 a.m. which is what we planned to do anyway.

Room Tip: Cannot think of reason why any room should not be a good one.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

My fiancee and I stayed here in January 2012 for two nights. The hotel is in a nice, quiet, charming location (although all of La Jolla is charming). The hotel room is beautiful and large, the hotel makes the effort to add special touches, such as the towel swans in the bathroom. There is a breakfast table, a living room, and open concept bedroom. The lighting is amazing ( I don't typically notice lighting in a hotel room, but there are dimmer pot lights in this room, which is a lovely romantic touch). There is crown moldings in the ceiling - really nice attention to luxury and elegant detail. Anyway, nothing much special to say about the service at the hotel, but nothing bad to say. There seemed to be a dated lounge bar in the hotel lobby, which we didn't check out. Not sure if they offered breakfast (if they did we didn't realize - we went for breakfast to a restaurant instead). But the check-out desk has fresh apples and I grabbed a couple for the road. The bed was very comfortable. We didn't notice if there was a pool or gym. We didn't check it this trip. All in all, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2012

We are enjoying our stay here. It is very quiet, not sure if we are the only one here? Will find out shortly at the breakfast. The only issue is that our room stinks bad. It is like we are directly over the exhaust fan for the kitchen. Going to ask for a new room tonight. The front desk staff are very nice even trying to run front desk and valet park the cars. Yes, same person does both. Just put out a sign that they will be right back. I would gladly stay here again, just not room 207.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Bosco1946
Reviewed 29 September 2012

This is not your generic Embassy Suites or Hilton Garden; it's a pleasantly decorated, older property with character and I am in favor of more of these kinds of establishments surviving. We stayed here two nights at the end of a California vacation and were extremely grateful when we were allowed to check in VERY early - i think it wasn't even noon yet. We used the valet parking, which was quite pricey, but parking is kind of tense in La Jolla. Whenever we needed the car it was brought very quickly. The clerks did advise us where our son could park his car for free on the weekend. We walked to everything from the hotel - the beaches, the many stores, the restaurants, even CVS for an emergency prescription (and the people in that CVS pharmacy are the nicest people on Earth). The free breakfast is a small buffet, not a full hot meal, but you can eat outside on the charming sun deck and enjoy the California weather. No pool, but we didn't care as we walked to the beach and enjoyed a concert in the adjacent park. Loved the bathroom in the room; it was not old fashioned at all but very clean and updated and smart. The one downside, I guess, is the slow and small elevator, but again this is an older property. I'd certainly return.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I booked a stay here a few months back after retuning home from a deployment. The hotel does seem to be a bit outdated, but the room was very large and even had a jacuzzi!I I enjoyed my stay here quite a bit due to the decent price and the amazing location. It is right downtown in the village, close to all sorts of restaurants and bars. There are some nice art galleries around as well. The staff was very nice also. I dealt mainly with Jean and Amanda and both were very delightful and they even got rid of some trash from my truck that I didn't need anymore. So sweet! Anyways, 5 stars for the staff and location...dropped overall to 4 stars due to the hotels age and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The suites are nice and include a jacuzzi
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeremy H
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Stayed here for one night and it was in a perfect location for walking around La Jolla Village. The hotel itself reminded me of the 1940s and it was fine, but I found that our room felt kind of stuffy, even with the AC on, even though my husband said it felt fine (an older style AC unit). The hotel does not have a view or pool, but you can walk to the beach easily and there is a good sushi restaurant at the end of the street (Roppongi). The Manhattan restaurant in the hotel looked very nice too, but we didn't have time to try it. If you find a parking spot on the street after 6pm on Saturday, you can leave your car there all night and Sunday for free.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel? Share your experiences!