“Charming Hotel in La Jolla”

Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 November 2008

A really cute hotel near La Jolla cove. The location is great - walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the beach. The service and staff were all very helpful and friendly.

I stayed in one of the hotel suites - which even has a piano in it!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel to other friends!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank LoveLondon3

Reviewed 2 November 2008

Great hotel in the heart of La Jolla. Great location to shops and restaurants. Free internet and breakfast. Hotel clean, well maintained with large rooms. I plan to stay at this hotel again next time we travel to La Jolla, CA.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nick_ca
Reviewed 24 October 2008

This hotel is centrally located to nice restraunts, shops and within walking distance of the ocean. The hotel room itself is quite confortable and the perfect size for 2. The newly renovated walk-in shower is a wonderful upgrade! The hotel room we were originally brought to had a terrible view of the garbage cans and smelt horrible. We polietly requested to be moved... which was done without hesitation. Needless to say, that was the only hiccup during our 4 night stay.

If we ever return to La Jolla, we would stay at the Empress again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2008

We stayed at the Empress Hotel on October 19 for one night. Excellent location in the heart of La Jolla. The hotel is nice and clean, The reception desk crew were friendly, polite, and efficient(on Sunday afternoon). The room and the bathroom were nice and clean, and the bed very comfortable (we actually got a full night of sleep). The breakfast is nothing special but its free so we can not complain. The only little complain is the charge for the parking but it did not effect the good general experience of staying in this hotel (you can park in the street or in the parking lot across the street). There are also 2 computers for guest use in the Lobby and free Wifi in all the rooms. ( I could not make my Ipod Touch to work with it, but maybe I was doing something wrong)
We had a very good stay at this hotel and I will highly recommends this hotel to anybody. We will stay there again on our next visit to La Jolla.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We stayed at the Empress on September 6th and could not be more pleased with our experience. My husband and I were married at the La Jolla Woman's Club and the hotel was a great pick, only a few blocks away. My bridesmaids and I got ready at the hotel and our suite was amazing with plenty of room. Coming back to our beautiful room that night was a perfect ending to our day. The staff was so accommodating and our room was ready for our 1 pm early check in request. I would reccommend the Empress to anyone who is looking for a great hotel in beautiful La Jolla.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Room was not ready upon arrival but we were still allowed to leave our luggages in the room before proceeding for lunch.

Easy access to the little town. Apparently it was very near the beach too but I didnt have time to wonder there.

Apples were available at the reception desk. internet was available though reception was not stable throughout.

Reception was very helpful in providing delivery of meals options.

Complimentary breakfast was available too - hard boiled eggs, bread, muffins, cornflakes, jucies and hot drinks.

Oh, and my boss had a jacuzzi right smack in her bedroom... cool..

Overall, an excellent experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 August 2008

I was very happy to find this little jewel of a hotel in La Jolla. I am a native San Diegan and come to San Diego every summer to visit my family. I normally stay close to them, but fortunately for me that particular hotel was booked. I will never go back and instead will stay at the Empress from now on. My room on the 5th floor was very quiet, very clean and the bathroom had recently been renovated. The housekeeping staff was very prompt in cleaning the room. The breakfasts were okay, but there are so many good coffee shops and breakfast places within walking distance that it did not matter. You can walk to many great shops and restaurants, not to mention the beach from the hotel. It really is a perfect location. The front staff was very helpful. They held my key at the desk every morning as I went out for my run. This is not a hotel for families with small children, but I would recommend it to everyone else.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
IngerTheEmpress, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2008

Thank you for your kind words. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the newly remodeled bathrooms. Also, I am glad you experienced the convenience of our downtown La Jolla village location. We hope to see you again on your next visit to La Jolla!

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 278 in San Diego

Been to Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel? Share your experiences!