“Very nice sheets but a little pricey.”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Very nice sheets but a little pricey.”
Reviewed 4 April 2009

This is a nicely appointed hotel, the sheets had a good cotton feel, a new modern bath and finishes. My only disappointment was the continental breakfast. Nothing special and a tang like mix instead of juice. There is no onsite parking, they have a valet but street parking was availible especailly on the next street back. The Best Western is on the same street half a block closer to the beach. For $70 less I might try it next time.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
San Francisco
Reviewed 1 April 2009

Every year my college girlfriends and I have reunion trip and this time we chose La Jolla as our vacation destination. Staying at the Empress Hotel was the perfect accent to our stay. The staff is very friendly and hospitable while the location is key. The beach, shops, and restaurants are within a short 5 minute walk. I highly recommend making the Empress Hotel your hotel of choice!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank KEP1
CT
Reviewed 27 March 2009

Pros: comfortable beds, nice walk-in shower, nice staff, good location, good value in La Jolla.

Cons: not-so-great room cleaning, very noisy (we were close to the breakfast room), barely adequate breakfast.

Overall, if I were returning to La Jolla, I'd probably look at other places. It wasn't as nice as I expected from the reviews. Still it was OK, and the location was good. Warning- take the parking bans seriously- we forgot to move the car one morning, and got a $45 parking ticket.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
IngerTheEmpress, General Manager at Empress Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2009
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor! We are happy to hear you feel the Empress Hotel of La Jolla has good value. Our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast consists of an assortment of pastries, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, selection of cold cereals, fresh orange juice, guaya juice, coffee, decaf, and hot tea. I am so sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your guestroom location. For your future visits, we will be happy to take any special requests when making your reservation and at check-in. We look forward to meeting and hopefully exceeded your expectation on your next visit to the Empress Hotel of La Jolla.
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 February 2009

I brought my girlfriend down on our 1 year anniversary trip, and the Empress is really outstanding. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, the bathrooms are spotless with walk-in showers. You are literally 2 blocks from the beach and can walk to The Cottage for a great breakfast. They also have an incredible Italian Restaurant called Manhattan right inside the Hotel! I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised, and the entire staff is very professional and very courteous.

1 Thank dolanewsk
Keller, Texas
Reviewed 22 February 2009

This hotel is such a great find that I hate to tell anyone but I have used TA for years and have to pay back.
We stayed at the Empress for 5 nights in Feb. The location is so perfect. Walking distance to restaurants, bars, shopping and the most beautiful beach area. The staff is so helpful and most seemed to really love their job.
The rooms are a good size for 2. We had a king bed, small couch,
nice size table with 2 chairs. The bathroom was small but really great shower. Large closet with a safe, fridge, and plenty of room.
The free breakfast was very sparse but ok for a few days. The patio is nice to eat on but if the weather is not nice, the breakfast room itself is crowded and stuffy.
Valet was great. Worth the extra money.
Our favorite restaurants were the Cottage (breakfast and lunch - huge portions) and Karl Strauss Brewery.
We walked to the cove many mornings and watched swimmers (yes, in Feb. and it was cold), sea lions, seals, and birds. We took the dirt trail that starts behind the cave entrance over to a residential area. The views were unbelievable.
Can't wait to visit the La Jolla again.

1 Thank Lcrich56
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 13 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for a weekend getaway. I chose this hotel based on previous reviews and the location.

I booked a queen bed room through the hotel website and got 15% off for being a AAA member. It was a really good price compared to other hotels in the area (half the cost).

We arrived at 3pm and the receptionist said the only room currently clean and available was right across from the breakfast room, and he hesitated to put me in that room because it could be loud in the morning. I appreciated his honesty and said we would wait. He said our room would be ready in an hour. He took our luggage and gave us a map of the area. We took a walk down to La Jolla cove beach and enjoyed the beach and the seals. It was really nice.

At 4pm we were back at the hotel and checked in. We ended up getting an upgrade and got a king-size bed. Loved the room.

I was really confused by the parking situation and I didn't find a clear answer on here before. So to clarify, the only parking available is 1 hr parking across the street (strictly enforced as we saw someone getting towed) or a parking garage for $1.50 per 30 minutes or you have the hotel valet park for $13.

I am just going to break it down as the good and the bad.

Good:
- Really nice and friendly staff. Even though they seemed overwhelmed at times (See below) they were truly professional and in good spirits.
- Room was nice. you can tell there was recent remodeling
- Bed was comfortable
- There were 2 complimentary bottles of water in my room - yeah!
- Apples at the front desk, cookies in the afternoon
-location was great. Ask the staff for whatever you want and they will recommend something nearby.
- The cottage restaurant nearby for breakfast was great (get there early), although pricey.
-Xtreme pizza around the corner was delish...wish I would have brought some home

Bad:
-You can tell there is cost-cutting going on at this hotel. The receptionist is also the valet, bellboy, takes phone reservations. Sometimes I had to wait for help and the staff was really flustered because they were multi-tasking so much. The janitor is also the breakfast guy who takes care of the breakfast bar.
-I am a freak about bathrooms. There was a hair in the shower and a hair on my hand towel. It was only 1...and I can understand because I shed a lot, but I have to mention it bc it is a pet peeve of mine.
- The walls are pretty thin. We had to sleep with the TV on because we kept hearing the neighbor talking, banging or their TV.
-Elevators were EXTREMELY slow. We ended up using the stairs a lot and we were on the 5th floor. Also the elevator carpeting needs to be replaced/cleaned. Based on the elevator carpet, I was expecting a dirty room, but was pleasantly surprised by the room :)
-Breakfast selection is very slim, but expected for "free".

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank JudgeTravel
California
Reviewed 8 February 2009

Stayed overnight with a friend who was going to San Diego to see friends visiting from out of state. La Jolla is a very pleasant location to stay in San Diego, and the hotel is close to Prospect Street and the shopping district.

The hotel lobby and bar are not new, but are clean, have enough room, and the staff was helpful. The room didn't have much of a view, but we were just there overnight and it was quiet - important to me! The king size bed was also one of the more comfortable beds I have had at a hotel, and the room had lots of room, a desk area, and a sitting area.

The continental breakfast is very basic, but if you want something nicer, La Jolla has lots of cute breakfast places. We got a parking space right in front of the hotel, so didn't have to use the (additional charge) parking, because street parking is free on weekends.

I would go back.

• Liked — the bed was especially comfortable
  • Disliked — the continental breakfast was not up to par
    • Check-in / front desk
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!