“Great place for a wedding block”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
sdaints
“Great place for a wedding block”
Reviewed 11 May 2009

We got a very large block of rooms here for our wedding recently and we had a great experience. Somer was great to work with and very willing to accommodate our requests. All of our guests loved the location as it was walking distance to restaurants, shops, and the water. We looked around at a lot of hotels before deciding on the Empress and I think we definitely made the right choice.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank sdaints

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
California
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I am a Sales Representative who travels extensively and I had the most fabulous stay at The Empress Hotel In La Jolla! This is a beautiful, spotless, comfortable hotel that went above and beyond what I have experienced at hotel stays elsewhere- it was second only to being home. I truly appreciated the warmth and hospitality of the entire friendly staff (Mario, Alan, Somer, Nick, John, Jean, Ben, Joe and the wonderful Director of Sales "Sandy Gallo"), who responded to my every need efficiently and graciously. In fact, every staff member I encountered, from the cleaning staff to the valets to the reception desk, always greeted me cheerfully and went out of their way to help me feel welcome. I really enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast every morning. I Cannot wait to return!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Liz2009California
long eaton, nottingham
Reviewed 29 April 2009

On arrival the hotel looked very pleasant. The check in staff were really helpful and friendly. No problem at all. I thought we would have a great time. The location is excellent!! I didn't even find the parking a problem. As soon as I got out of the lift I could smell cigarettes. This was classed as a non smoking hotel, our room was directly opposite the breakfast patio were you could smoke if you wished. Unfortunately the hotel was fully booked so could not change our room. The cleanliness of the room is definately not up to scratch. I had a small bed in the room for my daughter as she didn't want to share with me, For some reason the maid just didn't want to make that bed!! Not once was it made!! Every day when we got back to our room the sheets etc were piled neatly on top but we had to make it ourselves. From there the cleanliness of the place went down. Dirty towels in the bathroom. I used to check them before I showered. The coffee machine was either not cleaned or the cup would be left dirty. No refills of coffee etc were left. The carpet didn't look like it had seen a hoover in weeks. The last straw was a lovely big stain on the sheet of my bed on the last night. Never again. Not really what I would call an expensive hotel bearing in mind the location. When compared to other hotels in the area.YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
sugar land
Reviewed 26 April 2009

Our family joined our close friends for a week-end Wedding Event in La Jolla. The Excellent Staff and the great location made for a most pleasant experience at The Empress. The rooms were spacious, clean. I would recommend this hotel to any of my friends. The breakfast which was included was quite adequate. Would enjoy staying there again if the occasion occurs.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank marshallSugarLand
Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My wife and I stayed recently at the Empress Hotel of La Jolla. We travel quite a bit and I must say that the Empress was perfect. Perfect location, professional service, extremely friendly staff and a level of personal care that ranks with the best four and five star hotels we have stayed at in the States, Asia and Europe. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Sleeping in such comfortable beds with a hotel situated on a quiet street that was also close to walk to restaurants and shops makes recommendations to family and friends easy.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DrDadFlorida
Alexandria, LA
Reviewed 23 April 2009

We booked the Empress for our out-of-town guests for my daughter's wedding weekend. We had a large group (approx. 40 rooms) and everyone was so impressed with the hotel, the location and the staff. Somer, Alan, Nick and John (to name a few) couldn't have been nicer or more attentive to the needs of a crazy mother-of-the-bride. I truly cannot think of anything that we needed or requested that was not done for us. We had chosen an alternate hotel for those who did not want to stay in the Village, but it was under construction and did not re-open in time for the wedding; the Empress gladly absorbed those few reservations as well into our block at the last minute. I cannot recommend this hotel and staff highly enough. Vicky Bergman, Alexandria, LA

Stayed April 2009
1 Thank VeeBee412
Cincinnati
Reviewed 22 April 2009

TA has been invaluable to me as I have traveled and I wanted to pay back with my finds on our last trip. My husband and I traveled to LaJolla from Ohio for a burial at sea celebration. The somber tone was lifted by the finding of this lovely hotel for a reasonable rate. We were met by great service and fast check-in. Our room was roomy and very sufficient for our needs. The linens were soft and of good quality and the bed was very comfortable! The bathroom was fresh and modern and I loved the sliding door!! Special kudos to Nick Yeager and John Bagnasco at the front desk who helped with so much with suggestions concerning dining, valet parking, and anything else we needed. We even got an addtional discounted rate for our second night stay once we decided to stay over. Go ahead and pay the extra for the valet parking as it is definitely worth it not to have to watch the meter or search for street parking. We used the business center to print out mapquest for some sight seeing. We ate the continental breakfast which was free nourishment. As other reviews have said, it is nothing special, but it is fresh and free. The outdoor courtyard is lovely if it is warm enough and if you want something fancy there are plenty of places where you can pay for a breakfast. If we are ever in LaJolla again, the Empress is where we will stay! Thank you for a great start to our 5 day tour of California.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
#5 of 279 in San Diego
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,969 reviews
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to Empress Hotel? Share your experiences!