“Booked 9 rooms for our parent's 50th anniversary and everyone was delighted with the Empress!”

Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 September 2009

I worked with Sales Coordinator Somer De Frates for our group gathering and was impressed with her professionalism and attentiveness to detail from the beginning. There were a couple of price drops during the 6 months or so that we had planned the trip and I was very pleased to see the hotel make the adjustment to our group rate.

The hotel has a cozy European feel and the rooms are very neat and comfortable. We loved the location - in walking distance to everything (beaches, restaurants, shopping, museum...) but not smack in the middle of the crowds. We enjoyed the courtyard at breakfast and cocktails in the Manhattan Lounge after dinner (though we did not eat in the restaurant). The front desk staff was extremely helpful. I hope a return trip is in the cards for us and we will certainly want to stay at the Empress.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 September 2009

The Empress Hotel epitomizes the feeling and spirit of La Jolla. The little beach town is a beautiful part of Southern California to begin with and when you add a stay at the Empress, it can't get much better. Arriving at the hotel is like walking through the front door of a family member's home, the staff is always so warm and friendly. The rooms are beautifully decorated even down to the smallest detail. The rubber ducky next to the jacuzzi tub is my favorite! With great shops, restaurants, and gorgeous beaches steps from my room, I don't think twice about where I'm going to stay when I visit the San Diego area.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We blocked rooms at the Empress for our guests to our wedding in La Jolla. Somer, at Empress did a wonderful job of accomodating all of us and making sure everything went off without a hitch. We had around 30 guests in all staying at Empress over various number of days and didn't have one complaint from any of them. The rooms are definitely a little small in some cases, but for the price and the location, it's really hard to beat it in La Jolla. I'm sure there is always the exception and things do happening where everything doesn't go as planned, but I can say that we couldn't have asked for better service and truly enjoyed our visit. I think the fact that with 30 people there over 4 days, and no complaints, has to say something. We're looking forward to our next visit to La Jolla and to the Empress Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed 26 August 2009

Totally agree that the hotel is well located for the very wide variety of places to eat and drink in La Jolla (the chap on reception gave us his tips on a map which was most useful). But we were allocated a room which was near the lifts and it was noisy - even with ear plugs - and surprisingly small for a US hotel. With hindsight we should have asked to be moved but we were too busy exploring La Jolla and the rest of San Diego which is truly wonderful. The breakfast isn't up to much either but there is a nice terrace so you can eat outside. Overall, we had a good deal on the room price (booked direct with the hotel) but this didn't make up for the disappointing room (if we stayed again we would be very careful about checking the room first). Oh, and good luck finding the hot tub....it's in a smal room in the basement!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
EmpressHotelGM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2009

Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a fabulous time visiting La Jolla! We are happy to hear our location was perfect for your adventures. I am so sorry to hear about your dissatisfaction with your guestroom location. For your future visits, we will be happy to take any special requests when making your reservation and at check-in. Also, once a guest has checked into their guestroom, we will gladly change guestroom locations, when available, until the guest is satisfied. The Empress Hotel offers a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast each morning served on our sundeck that overlooks the La Jolla hills. Our breakfast consists of an assortment of pastries, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, selection of cold cereals, fresh orange juice, guava juice, coffee, decaf, and hot tea. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Empress Hotel on your next visit to San Diego!

Reviewed 24 August 2009

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, we were ready to reserve our room. Went on the hotel's website and it showed they had a deluxe one king available for all 3 nights Thurs to Sat). I called the reservation line to check if they had any other specials than what was online and any other added fees. The man who answered the phone interrupted saying "I don't have anything on Sat., we are sold out for that night." I said "well the website shows there is availability." He quickly and abruptly said "what website are you on?" After informing him it was the hotel website he didn't even respond. I asked him "what would have happened if I booked it online and then got to the hotel and didn't have a room?" He said since I would have arrived on Thurs. I could probably keep my room but someone else wouldn't have a room because they were overbooked."

No apologies for the confusion or help from this man. Rude and poor customer service from this man. He could have cared less if I made a reservation. I wouldn't trust having a room ready for me if I booked it online. Needless to stay, we happily booked elsewhere. If the customer service is this bad from the start, who knows how bad it would be during the stay.

For the management of the hotel: This ignorant man did not give a name and I called at 8:30 pm central time on Monday night (8/24/09).

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Mattsrh

Thank for letting us know about your confusion when trying to make a reservation at the Empress Hotel. It is unfortunate that you were unable to stay at our hotel. The Empress Hotel’s guest service agents pride themselves on their customer service. We are sorry we did deliver to your expectations. On your next visit to La Jolla, we hope you give us another chance to show you the true Empress Hotel experience. Our guestrooms are perfect for your vacation or business stay in La Jolla. We are walking distance to all the nearby shops, restaurants, and even the beach. We offer a complimentary deluxe continental breakfast on our sundeck every morning. We look forward to welcoming our guests to experience all the Empress Hotel has to offer.

Reviewed 23 August 2009

We had a fabulous stay at the Empress Hotel - however I felt the room was a bit overpriced. The location is great, although walking back late at night, the street is not all that well lit. The service was excellent and the hotel had a very cozy, inviting atmosphere to it. The European style rooms were a bit small (especially the bathroom) but they were clean and we did not have any complaints. I guess after reading the reviews I thought this would be our favorite hotel of the trip, but paying $250 after taxes and parking, it seemed to be overpriced for me. I would have preferred to stay on the main street for the same price. But overall, a nice experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear you had a fabulous stay at the Empress Hotel! Even at the peak of the summer season, we offer very competitive rates to our guests. We have Traditional Guestrooms, Deluxe Guestrooms, Empress Guestrooms, and Spa Suites, allowing our guests to pick the best option for their guestroom size and budget. Thank you again for letting us know what a great experience you had at the Empress Hotel!

Reviewed 23 July 2009

Right in the heart of La Jolla this hotel is very highly rated on Trip Advisor. Yes the location is central. While very clean, the aesthetics of the room were 1960's dark chocolate brown- everywhere. The breakfast was equally tasteless and unappealing. If you want convenience- fine- if you want a vacation, move on.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vozick
EmpressHotelGM, General Manager at Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2009

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the Empress Hotel. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our great location in La Jolla. Thank you for your comment on our cleanliness. Our housekeeping department takes great pride in their work. We continue to make improvements to our hotel year after year. Since 2003, we have redesigned the hotel’s entrance, repainted the exterior, remodeled the lobby, and completely renovated our spa suites. Last year’s renovation included brand new, beautifully appointed bathrooms, a completely redesigned breakfast room and new carpeting in all the guest rooms. We are currently in the process of upgrading our lobby furnishing. Also, the Manhattan, our onsite Italian Restaurant, will be completely renovated with a fresh new modern look by year-end. Our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast served in our garden setting sundeck, consists of an assortment of pastries, muffins, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, fresh fruit, selection of cold cereals, fresh orange juice, guaya juice, coffee, decaf, and hot tea. We hope you will find your way back to the Empress Hotel in your future visits to La Jolla.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Jolla
Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 286 in San Diego

Been to Empress Hotel - A Greystone Hotel? Share your experiences!