“Fantastic Service”

La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I had a wonderful stay this December, and couldn't recommend this property more. Our room was generously sized, and the layout was perfect for a family, with a living room, kitchen, an ensuite King bedroom, a two full size bedroom, and ofcourse, amazing views of the ocean. It was more like a beachfront residence rather than a hotel room.

While the facilities suited us quite well, it was the service that really impressed us. Sandra, our server at the restaurant for breakfast, was wonderful. She was so warm and hospitable, and she made sure that our every need was met before we even thought to ask. When my 8 month old daughter started getting fussy and grabbing the sugar packets at the table (and whatever she could get her hands on), Sandra noticed right away and brought over a small bowl of grapes. So thoughtful!

Also, Sang in room service was extremely pleasant. We had our meal directly delivered to us on the beach while we enjoyed our bonfire. I know I am leaving out many others on the staff that we encountered, but from beginning to end the service was welcoming and genuine.

Thank you for taking great care of us!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank GotoLevel5

Reviewed 13 December 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Beach & Tennis Club for her business trip. The building itself is somewhat dated but that really doesn't take away from the property. Most of the rooms are beach front. Our room was nice, one could even call it a one bedroom apartment. Bed was nice but we really didn't care for the pillows. Don't care for "down". Breakfast on the first day was a challenge as I don't think they were ready for our group. Service was a little slow. The next two mornings things seemed better. Food was good and priced right for a resort setting. Over all we both felt that the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club was a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Personally I prefer a ground floor room. All are beach front (first and second floors).
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I loved my beach front room! But keep on mind my visit was definitely off season (December) so I didn't have to worry about the foot traffic in front of my room.
If you want beach front, this is perfect! Literally 20 steps from my room to sand. And it is a private beach, but I gather from some of the staff that the beach can get crowded in the summer.
My room was huge! Bedroom with two double beds, plus a spacious living room and kitchen. Plenty of room to spread out and relax. I found it to be very clean and well stocked. The beds are comfy.
If you head to the onsite restaurant for breakfast, don't be in a hurry! The kitchen was painfully slow. Food was ok though. Most of the staff is very attentive and nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We specifically chose this hotel for the Thanksgiving holiday because we wanted an oceanfront room where we could sit on our veranda and enjoy cocktails or step out on to the sand. That is what we THOUGHT we were getting as most of the rooms here are set up that way. However, we ended up in a room at the south end of the resort where the rooms are entered from shared interior hallways (our hallway was filled with dirty linens and trash that the cleaning people left laying there all day) and there is no veranda or other spot to sit outside your room and enjoy the ocean view and salt air (the bellhop said I can open my window--thanks). Yes, I can leave the room, go find a beach chair and find a spot somewhere on the beach but I can do that just about anywhere in So Cal for much less than $700 night. They also indicated they'd set up a beach fire upon request but guess what, they are all out of fire pits and told me we could cruise north to the "public beach" and build our own fire in one of the public fire pits. It's Thanksgiving so the hotel is sold out and we have no option but to just deal with it. Do your research before you decide to stay here---you can't beat the beaches of La Jolla but you can definitely do better as far as hotels go, especially for the price!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank socaltraveler1969
Alex W, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations on your recent visit and will make sure your feedback is shared with the rest of the team. While the hotel offers a private beach, not all the rooms have beach front balconies, and I am sorry we could not offer you this accommodation due to the hotel occupancy. Our evening fire pits are a popular amenity and I apologize that we were unable to fulfill your request over the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope that you were able to enjoy the beautiful beaches of La Jolla and may give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Alex W
Director of Operations

Reviewed 19 November 2013

This is an older hotel, so some rooms decor are a little "tired", but the rooms are clean enough (not squeaky clean tho) and comfortable. The staff is very accommodating and friendly, and the beach is fantastic. We had 4 different rooms during our 10 day stay. The first beachfront room was on a first floor, and people sit right outside so it can be noisy. Almost all of the beachfront rooms have an outdoor walkway in front, anyone can see in your room as they walk by, so unless you want to keep the drapes closed all day there is a lack of privacy. There is however one room that has spectacular views and is private-#202. It's a one bedroom suite, with large windows all facing the water, and no walkway access. It was the best of all the rooms we were in. Big windows all around, you feel like you are right in the ocean. There is a loud fan/generator from the restaurant below, that comes on during the day, but is turned off by 10:30pm but otherwise it was very quiet, with no cooking smells. We loved that suite, we were mesmerized by the views, felt like we were outside all the time. Saw surfers, kayakers and seals go by all day. No need to turn on the TV, just watched the ocean all the time.

Room Tip: Room 202 is THE best!!! Right on the ocean, big windows all facing the surf, very quiet except for f...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ewkIowa
Reviewed 19 November 2013

we had a beach front room at great expense. It turned out to be so small that there was no room to move or relax unless we lay on the bed. the bathroom sink was tiny and the plug didn't drain properly. the decor is a bit jaded, and the cleaners missed emptying bins and on one day left our door open to the world while we were out for the day.

In order to get a sachet of dried milk for coffee or tea one has to open a whole packet of cellophane wrapped serviette, sugar and plastic spoon; so very wasteful and environmentally unsound. we were only given one sachet for tea and coffee provided in the room.

the view from the beach is wonderful, and I guess that is what one is paying for. the restaurants were almost empty so we walked to La Jolle village and had some great meals there.

the bar-b-q and fire pits that can be used at night on the beach are great, but very expensive.

Room Tip: go large with a sea view and kitchen if you want a sofa and somewhere to relax/cook
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club is an iconic Southern California attraction in itself. The approach to the Resort offers an eye catching landscape of a short 9 hole course played around a pond with a water feature in the center. Checking into our room we were greeted by a gracious attentive representative who was able to accommodate checking us in despite our early arrival. The hotel is an older property but well maintained and really fresh and clean. Steps away from our room was a beautiful private beach. The staff and service during our 5 day stay was always great. I will return to The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club time and time again for getaways in the future.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VictorVDenver
Alex W, Manager at La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed your recent 5 day stay. Thanks for the positive feedback. I will be sure to share it with our team. The Beach and Tennis Club strives to create the ideal setting for our long term guests with our unique beach front setting and numerous activities for all ages. We look forward welcoming you back soon.

Alex Willow

Pacific Beach
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#6 of 279 in San Diego

Been to La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club? Share your experiences!