“4 star double beds?”

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 22 August 2013

When we drove up to the valet, he was flirting with a girl and ignored us, so we self-parked. The lobby was pretty, so we were hoping that it was going to be a great stay. When we checked in they informed us that all the king beds were taken, so they only had double beds. A 4 star hotel with double beds? I don't think so. The other 4 star hotels we have been to in that area have either 1 King or 2 Queens in the rooms. The manager tried to tell us that the rooms are so small that they couldn't fit 2 Queen beds. Really? We ended up switching our reservation to a different hotel.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Scott B, Manager at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Jennifer D,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I apologize for the service you received from our valet team. Our expectation is they great every person politely and professionally. I also understand the frustration of not being able to get a king bed. We attempt to grant every guest’s request. Our rooms with two beds are double and not queen size beds. I realize double beds, may not work for all families, but we do have rooms that connect or suites that will work for larger families. I hope if you are in the area again, you will give the hotel another chance. We have many great features and just finished a $17 million renovation. I appreciate the feedback and it is through feedback like yours that helps us improve.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here,he was on business and I was accompanying him.
This a a very nice hotel to stay in and it's pet friendly as well.
The check in was flawless with the staff going out of there way to give us a great room with a roomy balcony.
We travel with our dog and the staff here are very pet friendly,there are even treats at front desk of three different sizes to choose from.
The rooms are a nice size, and well kept, and the house keeping staff is very friendly and helpful.
We had complimentary breakfast each morning in concierge lounge and we cannot say enough about Bilal and Amelia, they are both very friendly and nice to talk to. They made my breakfast experience very nice each morning. Both are willing to help as much as they can and they do an awesome job of breakfast.

This hotel apparently went through a huge renovation not too long ago and it definitely shows the hotel is very nice, clean and has a very comfy atmosphere to it.

It did not matter which staff member I spoke to everyone one of them were more than helpful and very friendly.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a corner room, it has a wrap around balcony that is very usable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We are so pleased with the service and the Hotel , we stay once a year for the several years staff iss wonderful We are gold members and enjoy the service completantary meals, the staff is very helpful and always nice to speak with.. Amada, Amelia & Bilal are fantastic!

Thank You for making our stay here wonderful!

Room Tip: Rooms are very clean, and beds are so comfortable
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Excellent looking property probably renovated recently. Guest rooms and public areas look clean and fresh. Above all great customer service! From F/B outlets to front desk every single hotel employee was courteous and attentive to the guest needs. Theresa at FD did a great job checking us in. Don't remember the names of evening server/manager of the outdoor patio dinning area but they were great too. Diego (I believe) at the breakfast buffet provided an excellent service too. Thank you for a great stay!

Reviewed 18 August 2013

My kids and I were very pleased with our experience at the Marriott La Jolla! The staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The hotel was beautiful and the rooms were nicely decorated. One employee, Theresa, stood out from the rest because she made us feel like we were the only family staying there! She was helpful, cheerful and did everything she could to make our vacation the best ever! Although the hotel is really beautiful, it is the people that truly make it a hotel that we will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

I have stayed here several times and each time their service has been great. The hotel looks great after the renovation. Staff is quite helpful. The only pet peeve I have is that despite several reminders the housekeeping staff changes the temperature to 72 degrees. If your room faces west, you are in for a really warm welcome.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I've stayed at the Marriott in La Jolla numerous times on business and I have to say that the new lobby, restaurant and bar area are an excellent addition to the establishment. There is a lovely fire-pit in the alfresco bar/dining area and the spacious lobby has transformed the previously drab entrance to the hotel.

The rooms are clean and spacious and beds are comfortable.

The concierge lounge service is excellent, the staff are helpful and courteous and their breakfast service is always good, Amelia always has a pleasant welcome and is very helpful.

I look forward to staying at this establishment in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms with king beds are very comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business