“The restaurant and food services staff are the best in the business.”

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California, United States
“The restaurant and food services staff are the best in the business.”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Hotel restaurants and food service staff typically can be a beat down, depressed, and could care less about the customer's experience in their confines. Not the staff I've encountered at the La Jolla Marriott's restaurant and food service staff. They are pretty darn special.
So, I went around today and actually collected the names of some of their amazing staff members today. There are more names than these, but these were the ones I could remember and write down: Megan, Nelli, Ryan, and Oliver in the main lobby restaurant and Amelia and Bilal in the Concierge Lounge upstairs are stand outs. They all have personalities that are appropriately welcoming without breathing down your neck. They are responsive to requests and remember many individualized particular niceties that regular customers request. Feels like a functional healthy family! By the way, dress warm...this is a cooooold restaurant when they leave the huge bar windows open. You can regularly hear customers complaining about how cold it is in there. Eventually the upper management will figure out that their beautiful new lobby is a cold refrigerator which will keep a good number of people from coming back. I'll be back because of the food and the staff.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Charlie N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I reserved a room at this location while attending a Marine Ball. I am partial to Marriotts because of their service and this one did not disappoint. I can't pinpoint why, but this hotel reminded me a lot of the Marriot Desert Springs resort. I was promptly greeted by the valet and front desk. Mobile check-in make the process easy, as my keys were waiting for me upon arrival. My only knock is that the room service/info book was a 3-page paper printout that appeared to be the 100th copy of the document, very poor indeed. Otherwise, it was a great stay

Room Tip: High floor, corner room with balcony. The balcony at room 1505 is private and has a great view!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TonyGal3s
Seattle
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great location, walking distance to UTC, restaurants and a great health club.
Very friendly staff, especially in the Concierge Lounge, where Amelia and Bilal take care of all your breakfast needs. They ensure that you have the right coffee, the kind of bread you like and that you leave happy with your most important meal of the day -- the breakfast.

Such folks as Amelia and Bilal actually make a hotel stay enjoyable.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 10 November 2013

La Jolla Marriott besides being at a very convenient location for my regular business travel provides perfect abode for me, being home away from home. But more than any other amenities I look forward to being in the 15th floor concierge lounge for breakfast. I can count on Bilal and Amelie to be there to take care of my smallest needs. Their attention to detail about my preferences from bringing in my choice of plain yogurt to croissants, make them the finest hospitality professionals I have encountered in my years of business travel.
Lisa in sales is also someone who is always going above and beyond her duties to make sure I keep coming back to this high standard hotel.
Ali (Chicago)

1 Thank 1worldtraveller06
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I have to say that the parking and front desk personel are some of the best I've ever encountered. To start with Johnny, I believe the bell captain greeted me with a friendly smile and was very polite and helpful in taking the car and bringing my luggage into the hotel. Once inside I was greeted by friendly front desk help(Teresa, Wes and Mirian) they made me feel like family. They quickly checked me in and talked to me about the hotel upgrades from last year. In addition I had trouble with my Mariott App. working and they were all very helpful in making it work on my cell phone. Hats off to them as again they made me feel like one big family.

Thanks and I'm sure to return and spread positive news about this hotel.

Bill

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed there for a week on a business. There is hard to find something to complain about in this hotel. The service was great throughout everywhere, at the reception, breakfast and room service. Breakfast is good but rather expensive. The only thing I didn´t like was that you have to pay over $10 for internet access for every 24 hours which is way over the top.

Green Features: Giving out disposable coffee cups at breakfast is not environmentally friendly
1 Thank Vidarpedia
San Marcos, California
Reviewed 4 November 2013

On 11/1 my wife and I stayed at the marriott. We had an excellent experience from the beautiful lobby to our clean and quiet room with a great view. Theresa at the front deal was amazing. She completely understood our situation having a night without our son and took care of us. She made sure we had a room on the 9th floor away from any noise. She recommended things to do and places to eat. Everything was amazing. I recommend this hotel to anyone on business or looking to get away for the night. The surrounding area is full of places to eat and fun things to do.

Room Tip: Higher floors have cool views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business