“Amazed At La Jolla CA Marriott by Hiep Hoang”

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I wish to share this experience with the Planet. While staying at the Marriott in La Jolla between Christmas and New Years, we were on a working vacation and had to wire a large sum of money using the computer in the lobby. Hiep noticed that we were waiting for a computer to free up and we were under the gun as the Fed Wire cut-off time was 2:30 PST. He asked if we would like to use his computer. We jumped at the gracious offer by Hiep and our transaction was completed with 30 seconds to spare. Hiep has shown us that he is ready to move up the corporate ladder and we hope that he gets his own property to manage in the very near future. What a great experience...Thank you Mr. Hoang

Room Tip: Ask for Hiep!!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank David G
Susanna A, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear David G,

Thank you for your incredible review and for recognizing one of our Brilliant Hosts, Hiep! He truly enjoys providing our guests with exceptional service and we are lucky to have him on our team.
Again, thank you for your review, and we look forward to your future trips!

San Diego Marriott La Jolla Team,

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Check-in staff were very good. Room was typical corporate America - comfortable but nothing special. The property is not in La Jolla proper - but a few miles up the hill in a business park. There was a standard USA anywhere mall across the street with limited dining options. Small pool. Housekeeping was inconsistent - if you used a glass from the bathroom - it was never replaced. Restaurant was nothing to write home about - breakfast over Xmas was understaffed with bad / stressed out service. Concierge floor was closed over the hols. All staff seemed a bit stressed and under resourced. Good location for easy access to SD, airport and Seaworld, Next time will stay at either the Hyatt or Sheraton as they are much more convenient to the sights and have bette service. This is a hotel where the plumbing is bad - if someone takes and early shower or bathroom break - you hear the plumbing........in this day and age that is Motel 6 quality !

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel - those at the back have a view of the business park
1  Thank SeattlePJS
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I have been staying at the Marriott La Jolla for business over the past 6 months nearly every other week. The staff quickly recognized a frequent business traveler and has made every effort possible to make my stays as comfortable and homey as possible. The sincere welcome handshake of the parking attendant and the warm friendly smiles of the front desk staff, without fail, happily greet me back each time. Even though the staff is very familiar with my check-in needs, Miriam H and front desk supervisor Jackie are always thorough to every last detail of my room preferences and service needs. During the last 6 months my wife has accompanied me several times and on her first visit she commented to me on the superior service the hotel staff provided me. On her first visit staff came to know her and it is now a common question from the staff as to her well being when she isn't with me. The staff's attention to detail is certainly top notch and always has the guest interests at the top of its list. The staff is genuinely interested in making each and every stay as pleasant and as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: I have enjoyed the southwest view from the higher floor balcony rooms. Even during my December stay...
1  Thank Monty5058
Reviewed 17 December 2013

.From the moment the Valet parking opened the doors for my Wife and I until they said please come back the entire stay was wonderful, Our room was large and comfortable, the shower and lighting in the bathroom was great, a beautiful view of La Jolla from the small balcony, the bar and lounge had a good menu, and the view of the fire pit on the patio was very romantic, I can't say enough about the place except wonderful, We were there for a kick start of the Christmas season on December 13,14,15, and did everything throughout the visit, Our daughter lives in Scripps Ranch, so the Marriott was a very convenient location, Our next visit to the San Diego region will certainly include Marriott

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank james g
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed here for the first time on a business trip and it was a very pleasant experience. I used the Marriott app on my iPhone to check in. When I arrived, my room key was ready and I breezed upstairs without a hitch. After a long flight, and at nearly 10pm, that was a very nice touch.

The bed and bedding were clean and very comfortable. Each room has a small balcony with a different view of the bustling area around the hotel. The bathroom is a nice size, the television and fixtures are all new. There's even a nice-sized small fridge available to stash your drinks - and you don't have to move any mini-bar alcohol to use it.

The location is great - restaurants, shopping, easy access to the freeway. Customer service is great - everyone greeted me with a smile each time I arrived or left the hotel. Nice job, Marriott!
I will definitely stay here again next time I'm in town.

2  Thank Phlyjets
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting my daughter in San Diego. She lives very close to the hotel and I picked it for the location and the price. It has a wonderful staff who seemed to share in my displeasure about having to pay for the internet connection. In this day and age most come to expect free wifi and charging $10 for 24 hour wifi is ridiculous for non-business people who may have to go on it for a few minutes each day. The lobby had wifi but it was not very good.
Parking is also extra and very pricey. Luckily we did not have to park a car.
The beds are very confortable. Everything in the room was clean and thoughfully planned. The rooms were renovated and are lovely.
Since neither my cousin nor I eat very much breakfast we had coffee and a roll at the coffee bar near the restaurant. The breakfast was $20 per person which I find to be very expensive because I do not eat that much in the morning. Instead the coffee bar was great. My cousin suffers from a gluten intolerance and the woman barista found her a gluten free roll. It was delicious.
My chief complaint is there was no heat in the lobby and it got to about 50 degrees when we were there. I live in Chicago and I am used to the cold but I am also accustomed to heated spaces. I have no idea why there was no heat in the lobby. It made sitting there impossible so we did not have a drink at the bar. We were in our coats and were still chilled to the bone. One of the staff people said it was too expensive to heat the lobby.
If you need to be in La Jolla this is a nice hotel and good location.

Room Tip: We had a room facing the west.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Pierry
Reviewed 12 December 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to stay at this location on the nights of Dec. 5, tth and 7th. We found ALL of the help from the bellhops, to the desk clerks, to the security people, to the General Manager to be very helpful, friendly and accommodating.
One inconvenience was the restaurant. Apparently the room is only used for breakfasts. Lunch and dinners are served in the lobby. This was not the best of situations. It was cold and windy. We did have 1 lunch and 1 dinner there and was cold before we could
it.There was absolutely no intimacy as people were milling around that portion of the lobby. On both occasions we had to wear our coats while we ate. And again, no intimacy.
The General Manager did help us out the 3rd night with dinner in our room, which we appreciated.
Overall the hotel and help were great, but the dining experience may prevent us from future visits.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple