“What great service!”

Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
San Diego, California
“What great service!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a girls' staycation. The service at this hotel was awesome and the staff very friendly and attentive. From the room service, to the valet, to calling for extra towels, to "Vince" helping us connect our DVD for movies, the service was excellent in all areas. The gym was clean and pool very refreshing. We plan on returning for another staycation. Definitely not disappointing, at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Susanna A, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear MaryAnn R,

I was so delighted to read that the service you received on your Girl's Staycation at our hotel was excellent!!! I enjoy those kinds of comments, especially on Trip Advisor. All of us are both encouraged and pleased that our staff seemed to have exceeded your expectations!!
Thank you so much for coming to the La Jolla Marriott. This is the kind of stay we want for everyone! To read these kinds of comments makes our job totally worth while!! We look forward to hosting you again!

San Diego Marriott La Jolla Team,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed here for a conference I attended at the on-site facility. The room was very comfortable and had all of the amenities expected for professional business travel. The lobby bar was excellent and included a very nice patio area. There was not a lot nearby other than an open air mall with upper-mid to high-end shops which was nice. There happened to be a nice farmer's market one afternoon in a parking lot across from the hotel, but I really just stumbled onto that more than looking out for it. The trip to La Jolla proper was too far, resulting in an expensive cab ride. The gym was great - and not busy at all. The pool looked nice (outdoor only).

Room Tip: It's in an office park, so there aren't any especially good views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Susanna A, Front Office Manager at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear neslryan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We are delighted that you were comfortable during your stay with us and enjoyed some of the hotel amenities. Our immediate area has seen some great upgrades in the recent years such as the Westfield Shopping Mall and the renovations and additions of multiple restaurants. We hope that the area continues to provide exciting new leisure events and options for our guests in the near future to make for a more inviting location. We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed at this property for a three nights while visiting the San Diego area over the holidays. We arrived in the mid evening and the people at check in were very accommodating and were very helpful in getting us settled in and even suggesting locations for dinner that evening. The property and the rooms were very pleasant, clean and newly renovated. We stayed in the executive sweet with an adjoining room. This is highly recommended as it provided us with ample space for my future wife, myself, and her family. I will again point out the very pleasant atmosphere provided by the staff. They also were tremendous help sorting out meal options in the area for christmas dinner. Overall the holiday in San Diego was amazing and our stay here made it all the better.

3 Thank polarbear1113
Dear Polarbear1113,

We are so delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your holiday vacation with us while you were here visiting San Diego. I'm so glad that you were able to stay in one of our suites and found it very convenient for you and your family. I know that there are several fine dining restaurants here in our area to enjoy and we hope you enjoyed your particular selection. We thank you so much again for spending your holiday with us and we hope to see and hear from you again in the near future!

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We used a groupon so our value was great, 5 for value. Our room was very clean, as well as, the rest of the building. Front desk was great. Location is great if you need to get off and on the freeways, however it is not close to the beach. The beach is a drive away. We would def. stay again.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank airblue1
Dear airblue1,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are excited that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward hosting you again soon!

slc
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Let me begin by saying our rooms were not ready. (We had 4). The last two were due to check in at 12:00midnight and 3 am. I gave specific instructions where each family was to go. Wrong rooms were given. Then they had to move them because the chiefs were staying in the hotel. No shampoo or soap was left in the rooms. When I asked for the breakfast we were supposed to have I was told I could not pick them up because my name was different that my husbands. Seriously. But the worst was that we were in the lobby when the chiefs came in. We did not know they were staying at the hotel but were excited to wait and see them. We had the kids with us. An Armed, yes armed, guard, hired by the hotel approached the kids and parents and told them to move away. Jim went ballistic. The whole experience was negative. Right up to the end, when we called because we had left a retainer in the bathroom. Asked them to check. They never did. Never called back. Finally I called the manager, Scott. He found the retainer. The hotel apologized and credited us points for two nights(which we will probably not use because I am kind of sick of Marriott lately, All in all. Very poor experience.

1 Thank megaverett
Scott B, Director of operations at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Megaverett,
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. You and I did talk during your stay and as I mentioned to you then, your experience is not the normal one. I apologize that you did have to move rooms. We did not catch that you had multiple one night reservations. If we did then we would have certainly assigned you one room throughout your stay. Due to the lateness of the arrival and being sold out we did not have another room for you to enjoy. I have discussed with our housekeeping manager the missing amenities from one of your rooms. Our goal is to have the refreshing Marriott amenities in all of our rooms for our guests enjoy.

As you can see from our rating your experience is not one that happens very often. I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me during your stay. The feedback you provide us not only gives the opportunity to see how we are doing, but to conduct some re-training. I hope to that you will use some of your points to visit us again. I am confident that you will have a wonderful stay.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Beautiful and impressive lobby and restaurant area with outdoor patio, heated lamps and fire piece. Rooms are spacious and clean. ;0) Building is well-maintained. Food is ok. Service at the restaurant and bar is poor, which is surprising for such a renowned hotel. We ate 3 times at the restaurant of the hotel for a happy hour/evening course. Each time, it took a very long time to get our drinks and plates, while manager and employees were chatting at the bar.. We wanted to take advantage of the 'happy hour', and all three times, there were errors on our bill (drinks and appetizers). It became the running gag, but we were not impressed at all, as we had to justify the time we arrived for the happy hour. At least, the bill was ajusted.
Nonetheless, I would still stay there, but not eat at the restaurant.

Green Features: There is no recycling bin in room :0( O the good side, there is a 5$ credit in the hotel when you ask not to change your bedsheets.;0)
2 Thank Cynthia R
Dear CynthiaR,

Thank you for your honest and constructive review! I’m glad that your enjoyed your stay with us but I regret to hear about your experience at our restaurant. It is our goal to provide prompt and accurate service so I apologize that this was not met. I appreciate that you have shared this experience with us so that we may use it as a training opportunity to strengthen our team and ensure that this does not happen in the future. I would love the opportunity to invite you back to dine in our restaurant again! I can assure you that you’ll have a much more positive experience next time.

Warm Regards,

San Diego Marriott La Jolla Team
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Our stays with La Jolla Marriott over the holidays have been great. The hotel has a wonderful buffet every morning. Several employees are excellent. They made the stay like being with a family that has a culture of hospitality at it's core. Nelli, a waitress at breakfast every morning brought the joy of serving us with a smile and warm heart. Two thumbs up. Carlos, a valet was thoughtful and quick, always welcoming us as we came and left the hotel. Jaclyn, the new manager, graced the front desk management with efficiency and an ability to anticipate what our family needed needed. Thanks for making Christmas and the New Year a joy while we stayed with you.

The family of Jetskiing Santas!

Jack O.

Room Tip: Get the South view of the hotel. I do wish the hotel had not taken out the Jaccuzzi. I hope they...
1 Thank Jack O
Dear Jack O. and the family of Jetskiing Santas,

We were delighted to help you celebrate the 2013 holiday season. Our staff at the Marriott La Jolla takes joy in making the guests feels accomadated and like family. Your family was so much fun and left a lasting impression on us as well. We look forward to seeing you soon and making new memories!

From your La Jolla Marriott family!