“Decent Marriott hotel”

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Average hotel that's catered to business travelers. I've been to a lot of marriotts and this one is average. Staff is friendly, but no one went over the top.

The rooms are generally quiet. I like the ones further from the elevators to avoid foot traffic, and allow myself to use stairs to go up and down.

The concierge lounge breakfast offering is good, but again nothing special when I compare it to other North American Marriotts.

The gym is nice and spacious. Clean and has complete set of workout equipments.

The location of the hotel is close to a large outdoor mall, so food variety isn't a problem.

I run outdoors, so for you runners out there, you'll have to make do with running through housing areas / corporate areas. Not bad, but this means there will expectedly frequent stop-and-go's due to traffic lights.

For the record, the best services provided to me by a Marriott level hotel I have been the one in Ottawa.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Spent a weekend getaway with my wife in La Jolla. The hotel was fantastic. Convenient to shopping, dining, and USD. Room was perfect, and had a little balcony with a fantastic view. Pool was nice and clean, plenty of towels. Front desk staff very accommodating as well as helpful with directions, questions, etc. Looking forward to staying here again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I love this hotel! The San Diego Marriott La Jolla hits all the marks. I travel for work, and have stay here every month. It's a gorgeous hotel, the lobby bar is indoor/outdoor. It gets full of business travelers during the week, more touristy on the weekends. It's a good place to watch the game, enjoy a cocktail and have a friendly chat. There food is tasty - lots of selection and unique dishes.

The front desk always does their best to honor my room request on a particular side of the building. The staff is friendly, efficient and helpful.

I am Marriott Platinum so my review is of an upgraded room. The rooms are wonderful. There are always sliding glass doors and a balcony of varying sizes. If you get a corner room, there are balconies on 2 sides. The views are not much. Since it's located in a business/shopping area, it's a bunch of streets and high rises to look at. The beds and pillows are vey comfy and the bathroom is large.

If you are staying in the area for business or specifically need this area, definitely stay at this hotel - it's the best Marriott in the area. If you are not required to stay in that area, go stay near the beach or downtown San Diego.

Room Tip: All the rooms are very nice. Not sure if all have a balcony - you might need to request that.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel that was recently renovated from top to bottom. The indoor/outdoor restaurant and bar, Amuse, has great food and excellent service. Highly recommend this hotel if you are in the San Diego/ La Jolla area. Hotel is near beaches, shopping, and San Diego attractions.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank ToddR
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Booked a room for 3 nights at this hotel which gave an option for 2 double beds thru a 3rd party booking (Trivago.com). The hotel never had any double beds only king beds but on 3rd party sites it shows as an option. I received the confirmation for 2 double beds and arrived to hotel to find out they only have limited rooms left and are only King beds. This hotel is huge!!! it was not booked to capacity but they told everyone that because they don't have enough staff servicing it. Looked at room smallest room I have ever seen had to be 350 sq. feet, disgusting bathroom not updated, small tubs and dirty. Hotel staff and reservations desk manager RUDE and unaccommodating specially if you booked thru a 3rd party booking told us we would have to go thru hotels.com to deal with any changes but they have a no refund policy!!! Even thou they are the ones that mislead the 3rd party booking site with the option of double beds that did not exist. Their comment was "Well if you went thru us direct you would see that we only have king beds and 3rd party booking is not accurate with their information" Furthermore, motel 76 room was costing an outrageous $346 for one night and $170.09 for the other nights. Not worth it!!! Never staying there.

Room Tip: Always look direct on the hotels website for the room availability and rates. 3rd party bookings on...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank pickyone2014
Jaclyn K, Guest Relations Manager at San Diego Marriott La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Pickyone2014,
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. I can assure you that every guest is our top priority and we aim to give the highest levels of service regardless of how you booked your reservation. I sincerely apologize that we made you feel this way - it was never our intention. Room types are allocated on check in an unfortunately, we are not always able to honor the requested room type but it is our goal to give you options to provide you with a comfortable stay. Our rates do fluctuate based on our occupancy but I apologize that you did not feel our service and property did not live up to this value. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon and provide you with an exceptional experience in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I am a platinum member and just spend time in california, We stayed here last Friday night. When I booked two rooms the website did not inform me there were no double rooms available but when I had to go back to the checkin desk they informed me that the doubles had been sold out for several weeks!! Wouldn't have stayed here if I had known that. The hotel is nice and the room are nice and clean. Was this always a Marriott?? I couldn't believe how thin the walls are. I thought I was paying 400 a night for Motel 6. I could hear the television in the next room and going down the hall you could hear conversation in rooms!!! We were on a conceirge floor!! Unbelievable. I have never been in a marriott like this! They are always so soundproof. Underwent a 17 million dollar renovation?? Really? I won't even go into the people in the halls very late at night making noise. I was very disappointed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank cajmd

Dear cajmd,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I deeply regret to hear that you were so disappointed with your experience. It is our goal to provide every guest with a restful and relaxing stay and I am very sorry to hear that we were not able to accomplish this for you. We did recently undergo a 17 million dollar renovation so I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed the style and cleanliness of your room. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on your next visit so that I may ensure your stay is especially comfortable. Thank you!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family of 4 recently stayed at the Marriott La Jolla for one week. My cousin was getting married in San Diego and we had picked La Jolla for its central location. At first I was disappointed in the small room. The room had 2 double beds (not queens) and only had drawers in the nightstand and 2 small drawers under the console. No dresser and no safe deposit box. For a family of 4, I knew it was going to be a tight space for one week. We regularly stay at Marriott’s but most have been resorts and JW’s. I should have done more research to see that the Marriott La Jolla, in my opinion, is geared towards business travelers or if for families, then for short stays. Given all that, the service we received there was outstanding and it turned our potentially disappointing experience into a great one.
La Jolla is convenient to all of San Diego. We had stayed at the Marriott Coronado two years prior and had a good time. On this visit, we needed to be centrally located and chose La Jolla. Everything we did was no more than a 15 minute drive. The hotel itself is located near the airport, I5, and 805. You can also walk to a small shopping center that has an Einstein Bagels, pizzeria, Starbucks, and sandwich shop.
Marriott La Jolla has one of the best concierge lounges. Amelia, Arlin, and Bilal were there every morning to greet us. They kept the lounge clean and well stocked. One morning, manager Scott Bourne stopped and chatted with us. He was pleasant and professional. Along with their great service, there was another manager downstairs (I didn’t get his name) who was courteous as well. I was in the lobby with my young niece and nephew. The manager saw them and gave them a play car, coloring book, and crayons. Additionally, the mornings we ate downstairs in the restaurant, the servers always asked if we wanted to-go cups for our coffee and juices. Those are the extra touches that enhance a guest’s experience.
If we were to stay in San Diego again for a week, we would definitely consider Marriott La Jolla again—but next time we would book 2 rooms or get a suite.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and have 2 double beds, not queen sizes. No dresser or safe deposit box. If you st...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family