“A solid four star hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of San Diego Marriott La Jolla

San Diego Marriott La Jolla
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Seattle, WA
“A solid four star hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Downtown La Jolla, the cove, can be very busy and overcrowed. The Marriot is about ten minutes driving from the busy part of La Jolla. This is good because you are away from the crowd and bad at the same time, there is not much around the hotel. The Marriot is very nice, the upper floors have a good view of the area, the people at the front desk and in particular the people in charge of valet parking are very nce. The room we got on the top floor was on rather small. The internet is more than $ 12 and it is free in the lobby of the hotel. There is not much parking around the hotel. You can self/park fro $ 19 or $ 20 and full valet parking is $ 24. This is a solid four star hotel that does not overcharge during peak time of teh season like some run down motels of the cove do.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

From the front desk beginning with Miriam at check-in to the concierge staff-- Amanda, Bilal, and the other lady whose name I forget (maybe Anna?) but cannot forget her big heart, and Elsa from HR,and every server in the restaurants and housekeeping staff member; we received outstanding service and sincere kindness. And, I can't forget John at the front door who helped us with our luggage at check-in and check-out. If it weren't for him we probably would have forgotten half of our belongings. He's was such a good guy!

We stayed for almost two weeks when my daughter was seriously injured in a surfing accident and rushed to the Scripps hospital where she had major internal injuries---they saved her life. She was in ICU and then when she began to get better a regular hospital room. When she was released we stayed another week to be close to the hospital. John at the front door of the hotel escorted her up to the room while I parked the car. This was during a time when every hotel room was sold out for the Comic Con conference. Marriott staff came through for us in a time of great need. The staff knew we needed help and were in deep crisis. THEY ALL HELPED! They cared! They even felt like family. Every hospitable effort was shown us with grace. Extra towels, changing the sheets at odd times, sweet notes, smiles....that's what makes life sweet but to get it when you are in such need equates to impeccable service. Because of the wonderful people, a difficult time was made bearable.

Also, when things settled down a bit for us and we could get to the restaurant...how nice the fire pit was in the evening. It made us feel like we were on a vacation even though we were there for an entirely different purpose. The evening was just beautiful sitting outside enjoying some very delicious food and ambiance!

I have shared our experience with the Scripps Hospital and with everybody we know.
THANK YOU and Words are not enough! With Gratitude and Deep Appreciation! Blessings to All!

Room Tip: We had a high floor but it seems like any location in the hotel would be fine.
Green Features: We only used what we needed but everything was superb.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Pleasanton, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I have stayed in various hotels in the San Diego from downtown to Del Mar and I must say that the Marriott La Jolla has become my "go to" hotel. From the beautiful lobby and extremely comfortable, clean rooms, my experiences have always been the best. Location is great with surrounding restaurants and shops and a short ride to the beach. Hotel rates can vary by season but I feel that that they a great value for dollar year round compared to other properties. Best part however is the excellent staff! From the front desk to sales and those in the wonderful restaurant, they are always pleasant and accommodating. I have received service above and beyond from Hiep, Erica, and recently Mariana just to name a few. Thanks to all of you as you know I will always be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Orange County
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Our room was clean and comfortable but small. We had a room with two double beds. Not queen but double. It was just my daughter and I for a tournament. This room (and beds) would have been way to small for a family of 4. the bed was very comfortable though. The food from the bar was very good and was brought to us at the pool after ordering. The pool was warm according to my daughter but when the whole team was in the pool, there wasn't much room for anyone else. The pool area and pool is extremely small. It made for a tight squeeze on a busy summer weekend. The photos on their website are a little deceiving regarding size. Parking in the self parking lot was surprisingly easy with plenty of spaces available even though I was told the hotel was sold out. The Westfield mall across the street is a beautiful outdoor mall with a Nordstrom, Macys an Sears. It also has an ice skating rink and large food court. It's within walking distance. All in all it was a nice weekend at a nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank moxietravel
La Jolla, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Amelia and Bilal were very hospitable, accommodating and very good with our children. Very good reflection on Marriott. The food was great. Concierge room always clean. Can't say enough good things about Amelia and Bilal.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

I hope the staff see's this post as I want to thank them for making me feel like a princess during our stay at the San Diego Marriott La Jolla in June! I was sitting in the beautiful lobby catching up on some work email and Susanna asked if I needed anything. I told her I was good and then she asked if she could bring me a coffee. She brought me all my favorite fixings and I told her what room I was in so she could charge it and she said "no thanks" this is on us! As a hard working mom where I am always taking care of others, she really made me feel like a Princess.
Thank you Susanna and the entire staff.
Holly, from Phoenix Arizona

Room Tip: There beds are to die for! I am going to call them and ask what mattress they buy so I can go buy on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

What differentiated this hotel from others was the service. From the check in, to the porters, to the coffee shop, to the bar, to housekeeping, and to Starbucks, everyone was nice and helped. All the other stuff that was to be expected of a Marriott was in place as well, so that just reinforced my overall rating of excellent. FYI, this was a lively hotel!

Room Tip: You are on your own here.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends