“Great place for couples weekend”

The Lodge at Torrey Pines
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great place for couples weekend”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My wife and I were in town for a wedding and although this was not one of the hotels set up for the wedding when we realized it was close enough and based off the reviews we read we decided to stay here instead. We were very happy we did and not just because of some of the nightmares we heard about the other hotel. Of course access to the golf course was key and I'm glad I called the hotel several months before to secure a tee time. It's a little different since the hotel is only loosely associated with the golf course and it's a little wild with lines of people showing up to play since it's a public course but the hotel did a great job of taking care of my tee time and making sure my bags were taken care of. In fact, I pulled the clubs out the day before to go to the range and had someone volunteer to drive me over in a golf cart, asked what time he should return to get me and promptly did so. I'll get the one negative out of the way. I booked through AMEX and no upgrade was available, which was a first and the room they initially gave me was right next to a main entry door where you could hear everything. I was told it got even worse in the mornings with the staff bringing breakfast carts across the tile. I wouldn't have slept so I called up and they arranged for a room that was much more quiet. Service was terrific throughout the hotel, from the valet service to the bar staff. When we checked out they even took care of repacking my clubs which saved me the time and hassle. Received a great recommendation for lunch in Del Mar. We ate at the grill for dinner and liked the atmosphere, menu and select high quality beer selection. My wife got the burger which I thought was crazy since you can get a burger anywhere but it was ridiculously good and I regretted ordering the seafood chowder. Breakfast at the grill was ok, I'd recommend eating breakfast at AR Valentien upstairs instead. We also had dinner at AR Valentien and were very impressed. I was feeling like steak and don't normally order the strip cut but it was by far the best NY Strip I'd ever had. Hiking was right outside the hotel and provided a beautiful view.Standard rooms were comfortable and a good size, although if I did it again I'd probably pay to get a better view. The lobby felt warm and welcoming with the decor, fireplace and large Christmas tree. Wife enjoyed the spa while I was playing golf. I would absolutely recommend staying here.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 22 January 2014

After visiting the state reserve many times over the years, we decided to stay at the Lodge after our "courthouse" wedding in San Diego. This area has a special place in our hearts so picking this location was easy. We arrived a bit early to enjoy a long lunch in the restaurant which was
spectacular. Quiet and elegant, this was a great way to start out the week-end. The food is
fantastic and service wonderful. Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked the gardens filled with native grasses. The management picked up that we had just been married and sent a bottle of champagne and strawberries to our room. I enjoyed a lovely spa treatment and had the whole place to myself even though it was a Saturday afternoon. You cannot go wrong in choosing the Lodge at Torrey Pines. The service is first rate; something that seems to be missing these days even in the most expensive of hotels. We did enjoy one more dinner in the restaurant and it was nothing short of heaven. I love that we were able to enjoy a long leisurely meal and the food is really delicious. We will be going back for sure!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank travelgirlCA1
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We love this hotel. The decor is beautiful - warm and cozy. The the service is warm and polished and the food is excellent.

Though I'm a bit overdue in writing this, I wanted to share what a wonderful time we had at the lodge over Thanksgiving with our family. We had three rooms at the hotel for ourselves and our family members and all rooms had a view of the ocean. I mention this because the view really does make a difference in one's experience at the hotel. My husband and I had stayed there a few years ago and our room, though very nice, faced a courtyard. As as result, it was rather dark.

We all enjoyed outstanding massages in the spa - truly some of the best we've ever had! For each family member to have the same response really says something!

This is a wonderful place for a family gathering. It's elegant without being prissy. It's very comfortable and relaxing and we found it to be the perfect place to celebrate Thanksgiving.

Room Tip: Definitely splurge for a room with an ocean view. The view is beautiful and the room will feel brig...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

wonderful stay my family just did on Saturday for my birthday. This was our first time staying here,and we loved it even more than fabulous Grand Del Mar nearby. We have spent many little stay-cations in La Jolla, as we live in Mission Viejo and used to go to grad school in Scripts Ranch area, so we are well familiar with resorts and hotels inn the area. The Lodge is our now favorite destination in the area.

The staff from Valet, to bell hops, concierge, front staff, restaurant , spa and housekeeping were all consistently friendly, attentive, and made us feel very welcomed and pampered. I did yoga in the courtyard and she was wonderful as well, giving me a very attentive and personal yoga class as it was just the two of us that day. Esther in the spa was the best massage ever.

Rooms were impeccable, roomy, gorgeous, fresh flowers in bathroom a lovely touch. Butler-like room service, with ice filled in the evening without even requesting. The "jet lag" complimentary tea was wonderful. Caught a beautiful sunset in the spa gazebo overlooking the La Jolla Coast.

We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms either overlook the quiet Pine filled courtyard (my son thought it was like being in a tree ho...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Caroline P
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed at The Lodge at Torrey Pines from Dec. 22-27 for a special birthday celebration. Everything about this hotel is first rate. Lovely rooms, large and spacious with a balcony overlooking trees and a large soaking tub. Turn down service every night with a special gift left on our pillow (candy, bath salts, etc.). I can't wait to stay there again. This made my birthday really special and memorable. The hotel was beautifully decorated, the staff was outstanding. I can't say enough good things.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Libertyville, IL
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Arrive close to check-in time. Check in smooth. Gary, our bellman, took us to our room and described the property on the way. We were in one of the wings on the 4th floor. I wasn’t crazy about the location of the room, since it was the first room from the doorway. Plus, upon viewing the outdoor space, we were very close to the entrance of the hotel. But we were only here for two nights, so I decided just to deal with it.

We requested a fridge for some drinks and champange for New Years Eve. It was delivered promptly. Gary also came back with some ice. (although he made it a point to mention that he had to go to two different ice machines b/c the first one ran out. Not sure if he was hoping for another tip... we tipped him very well the first time around. ???)

Upon unpacking, I discovered some leftover trailmix and opened sugar packets in one of the drawers. Not good. We called the front desk and asked to be moved to another room. Gary came back promptly and we moved about 6 doors down. Much better location, IMHO. Room seemed brighter as well. I always bring lysol wipes with me and wipe down remotes, door handles, toilet flushers etc. (I’ve watched too many Dateline investigations, I guess) There is a little granite counter above the mini-bar and coffee station. On a whim, I wiped this down and coffee grounds and dried up coffee came up on the wipe. My husband discovered some hair on the bathroom floor. This sort of thing is unacceptable in any hotel - but especially one like Torrey Pines that prides itself on it’s top notch/high class reputation. I decided to take it up with management. Dan, the front desk manager assited me. He was very apologetic - didn’t question me at all - and agreed that this is not acceptable. He extended a $100 resort credit in order to put us in a “better place” as far as our first impressions were concerned. This was a kind gesture, and definitely helped us “move on”.

Now for the rest:
This resort is one of the nicest we’ve stayed in the U.S. It’s not too large - about 170 rooms. The attention to detail in the public spaces as well as the rooms is worth noting.

Although we planned on venturing out to La Jolla during our stay, we ended up spending our entire time on property.

Highlights:

Rooms -- aside from our initial experience, the room was very nice. We traveled with our two teenage sons. Two queen beds - high quality linens. Beds on the soft side, which was the only negative. Nice furnishings and lighting. Spacious bathroom. Large patio. We had a Signature Room and it was perfect for us.

Spa -- services were booked, but we used the steam, sauna and relaxation rooms. One of the nicer spas we’ve been to. Super, super clean - well maintained. All accutruments were available - from high-end hair & facial products (Skinceuticals) to flat irons, curling irons etc.

Pool area -- beautiful setting, well maintained. Comfortable lounge chairs. Cabanas free of charge (first come - first served)

Bar -- Plenty of seating and lounging areas. Try to get the spot in front of the fireplace. (the couches were always taken when we were there, but it’s such a nice spot) Great drinks, lovely wine selection. You can also sit on the outside porch - where they have several areas dedicated to bar patrons. Portable heaters make it warm and cozy.

Restaurants -- We dined at all the restaurants. Valentin for breakfast was sublime. The Grill for dinner (New Years Eve) was very good. We also had lunch out at the pool, which is considered “room service”. (I wasn’t overjoyed by the 20% surcharge for pool dining -- as this does not replace the tip)

All of our servers were attentive, knowledgable. You got the feeling that their top priority was making sure we had the best dining experience possible. Of particular was Amelia, who served us dinner out on the porch for our last night. We ordered from both the bar menu and the Valentin menu. She was so personable - a joy to talk to. Not intrusive - but she was on top of our every need.

Coming from the Chicago area, we chose to dine on the porch any chance we had. It’s a beautiful setting, amidst the Torrey Pines, overlooking the pool. There were no folks in the pool when we dined. If there were, I think this would be a distraction as it’s just below the deck. However, Valentin is a beautiful space - and I would like to sit inside during our next visit.

Overall, our experience was excellent. We completely forgot about those first 20 minutes between the two rooms. Everything about this property is top notch. We didn’t golf - but the course looks amazing. We hiked through the Torrey Pines reserve right next door and would highly recommend this. The trail was quite crowded, as it was New Years Day. But other times it is wide open.

I'm so happy we decided ring in the New Year at The Lodge at Torrey Pines.

Room Tip: We had a signature room and thought it was ample for our family of four. We were only in our rooms...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JPfromNJ
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is a fabulous first class hotel with a fabulous location in La Jolla. Were we there for a long weekend for a wedding nearby. The service, food, and spa were excellent. There is a nice bar menu, and plenty of heaters for eating outside even on a cool January night. We did not play golf due to our own schedule, and the course was being prepped for the Farmer's Open so tee times were limited. Do check way in advance if you plan to golf. My only negative comment was that the spa only had a co-ed waiting area and no single sex area for relaxing and lingering after a treatment. A real plus is the great San Diego airport, new, clean, plenty of food and some outside check in for some airlines.

Room Tip: Great view facing the golf course, but it can get noisy from grounds keeping and the announcement of...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Pacific Terrace Hotel
#5 of 279 in San Diego
Hyatt Regency La Jolla
#8 of 24 in La Jolla

Been to The Lodge at Torrey Pines? Share your experiences!