“Needs refurbishment”

La Jolla Village Lodge
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 6 February 2008

I definitely cannot agree with the other reviews. The Lodge is pretty rundown with dark rooms that clearly have seen better days. I think you can get much better deals for your money if you look around or book via the internet...

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank Rotondo

Reviewed 18 October 2007

stayed - clean room - bedrooms seem updated - a massage chair in the room -- flat screen tv -- nice comfy bed ... bathrooms are a little beat --- window particularly (no screen) -- EXTREMELY friendly folks running the place -- some more fixes and it would be truly excellent -- free parking was very very nice & we could walk everywhere -- reasonable place and reasonable price for an expensive city

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank joisey-joe
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Husband and I stayed in a queen room, 2nd floor. Location of the lodge is great, could park the car (free) and walk all over the village, to the beaches, etc. Check in was easy and quick, provided us with a map of the village, recommended streets to find shopping, restaurants, etc. Breakfast was worth skipping...a few assorted pastries, a couple of bagels, ran out of juice (which was warm and full of pulp anyway...) but was nice of them to make the effort. Just skip it and walk a block or two to a little cafe instead. Furniture in the room was very retro, pretty cool. Bed was comfy, although very springy-bouncey.

Our room had a coffee maker (coffee packet was not replenished on second day, husband went to lobby to get more), microwave and small frig, which were all unplugged and we did not use, frig did have an odor although it was clean. Room was very clean, but still had a musty odor, fixtures were all old and original. Small stand up shower, small bathroom. If you are someone that needs a large bathroom with vanity, etc., this wouldn't work for you. There is a counter in the room, but the microwave and coffee maker sit on it. Some things were broken, cracked, etc. Window in bathroom had broken handle, so we were unable to close it, no screen.

Overall it was an ok stay, considering we were hardly in the room. La Jolla is a neat little town with some great looking hotels and inns, we'll probably try another one next time.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2007

...then the La Jolla Village Lodge could be the place for you. The location is great. Just a short walk to the cove and very fine restaurants.

But as much as one of the owners, Egon, brags about how much the property is worth, he has seemingly done little to invest in it over the years other than to buy some shabby -- possibly second-hand -- patio furniture to put on the rooftop deck.

The chairs in my room were threadbare. The main light in the room took about 3 minutes to "warm up" and give off light. Upon check-in the shower stall walls were covered with errant hairs. The floor of the shower had visible dirt and the fixtures were rusted and covered with mineral deposits.

The owners are kind but if you are averse to hippies and their carefree and flaky mindset you best stay away if you get my drift.

I was locked out my room twice because my key was deactivated. No apology the first time. The second time, Egon wrapped my card key in tin foil to prevent it from becoming "deactivated" (not kidding). Would that happen at a Marriot or even a Motel 6?

Egon admitted the rough edges but when they build one upon another (there was also a broken tv remote that needed two repair calls to fix) they can be aggravating -- especially when the owners make no apologies for them and insist that the dirt on the shower floor is "encapsulized".

Excellent continental breakfast provided.

Bottom line is that if you pay over $180 a night for this place, you are not going to get value for your money. Shell out some extra and get thee to a nice boutique hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EstesKrenshaw
Reviewed 29 July 2007

We (my husband, my 8 year old daughter, amd myself) stayeds at La Jolla Village Lodge Friday-Sunday, 7/20-7/22/07 and had a wonderful experience. The staff at La Jolla are very helpful and friendly. The owners actually come out to the property and take the time to talk to you. They also have two sweet, loving pets at La Jolla Village Lodge. You cannot find more caring individuals as Maureen, Egon, and April. They are also proud sponsors of the Junior Olympics Acrobatics Gymnastics. I cannot say enough wonderful things about my stay at La Jolla Village Lodge. My only complaint is that my stay was too short. I hope to make another trip to La Jolla and stay several days more. Thank you La Jolla Village Lodge for a memorable experience.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank SA-USAA-mom
Reviewed 20 July 2007

I had a one night stay for a wedding, so the only time I spent in my room was getting dressed and sleeping. All reviews are true, the staff is very welcoming, the location is great. My only complaint is I asked for that King Room that one of the previous reviews had recommended to get, I actually booked it over a month in advance, and when I checked in, they weren't able to give me that room. So I didn't get to see that room, and was sad about how small my room/bathroom were, but the fact that the beds are really comfortable makes it cozy. I was confused about how many ionizers they had in the room, we had 2...it didn't smell, so I didn't understand what they were for. The free continental breakfast is a great spread too, bagels, croissants, pastries, fruit, oj, pretty good for a free breakfast.

Would definitely stay here again if I ever had to go back to La Jolla.

Once again trip advisor reviews steered me to a great value and a great find. Thank you trip advisor!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank formalika
Reviewed 5 July 2007

This little motel is all about location and though it's only one star - it's more like a 2.5 star. They provide some pastries and coffee and OJ in the small office in the AM. We did sit up on the roof :o) one night while the sun was setting. You can see the ocean from up there, but it's a stretch :o) It was all about location here folks and a quiet place to sleep. The bed was comfortable and we stayed 2 nights (no backaches :o). I can't believe people pay $300 and $400 a night to stay in La Jolla. It is a nice place and we loved our relaxing visit but that's just too much. Only complain about our room was bathroom was small (only shower). Great for an older motel and nice people running it.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family