La Jolla Beach Travelodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Inn by the Sea(La Jolla)
View Hotel
Grande Colonial La Jolla(La Jolla)
La Jolla Inn(La Jolla)
Pantai Inn(La Jolla)
  • Breakfast included
1,114 results
All reviewswindansea beachsu casatravel lodgegreat locationla jolla beachroom was cleancontinental breakfastfridge and microwavesan diegoshort walk to the beachcoffee makertwo blockspool and jacuzziwould stay here againwithin walking distancebit dateda wonderful stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the La Jolla Travelodge with 2 kids over the 4th of July holiday.

The office staff were very kind, helpful people, and the facilities/room were functional and clean. The rates are generally a great bargain, but beware of the holiday rate increase. It was very high.

Our 2 full size beds were small for 2 adults and 2 kids, but apparently there was nothing to upgrade to.

Breakfast food consisted of non-cooked items. No worries, though. Right next door is Cafe Vahik (excellent and affordable).

The fridge worked great (smelly, though), water pressure was acceptable, room fan/ac worked fine and the pillows and beds were comfy. Parking was not a problem, even on the 4th.

The most wonderful aspect of this Travelodge is location. One can stroll to the beach in ~10 minutes. La Jolla Cove is ~1.5 miles. With a bicycle, Pacific Beach and Mission Bay are an easy destination.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor, SW corner room was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank David P
SleepyBearLaJolla, Manager at La Jolla Beach Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

We are just 300 yards from beautiful Windansea Beach. It is an amazing beach for swimming, surfing, sunbathing or walking. Also you can relax by our outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi which is open from 9pm to 10pm all year around.
We are surrounded by many wonderful restaurants of all types. Downtown La Jolla is just a mile from us and is a great place for dining and shopping. The La Jolla Cove and Children's pool with seals are about 1.5 miles from us.
We offer a complimentary continental breakfast to our guest which includes: apples, oranges, whole and 2% milk, 2 types of cereal, assorted tea, Folgers coffee, hot chocolate, orange juice, as well as fresh bagels with cream cheese, muffins, Danish and oatmeal.
We hope to see you here again.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We spent one day and one night here, and then had to be back on the road by 4AM. Even though we arrived before check-in time, our room was ready. Our room was spacious enough for our family of 4, it was comfortable, quiet and, most importantly, clean. The TV had lots of channels, which my kids liked. The bathroom was nice and clean and we all enjoyed hot showers after being at the beach all day. The people who work here were all friendly, and the gentleman at the front desk gave us an excellent pizza delivery restaurant recommendation called Pizza on Pearl (the kids wanted pizza, and in-room delivery was a great option for us). Excellent pizza!

This hotel is a very short walk to the LOVELY Windansea Beach. There the kids swam in the ocean and jumped waves, we watched some really cool surfers, we saw pelicans, and we enjoyed a long leisurely walk on the beach.

There are many restaurants within walking distance! My husband and I walked around the immediate area, maybe we walked two blocks-I can't remember. But, I was impressed at the amount of nifty restaurants all within walking distance of this hotel. It's a real pretty area with lots to see.

Yes. We would stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank dewdrop490

We do things differently here at La Jolla Beach Travelodge. Our normal check in time is 1pm however if you arrive early and the room is ready you can check. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and service at our hotel. We appreciate your feedback regarding our great location, breakfast and friendly staff. We are also pleased to know you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable as we understand how important comfort can be when traveling. Thanks again and we look forward to hosting you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed for two week nights in mid june with girlfriend. mid-late 20s, professional.
Pros
-At Wind-n-Sea, even some people who live in San Diego don't know about this gem. The waves crash big on the shore. So you can get out and float easily and its one of the best breaks if you surf (beware of locals). the beach it self has a lot more character than the touristy spots. You're close to north Pacific beach also, not too far from La Jolla shores.

-It's cheap and quiet. You're not subjected to the drunken noise in PB and Mission.

-There is plenty to eat. They have specials at the cafe next door. Su Casa Mexican is across the street. And a bunch more with in walking distance.

Cons-
Rooms are kind of small.
Breakfast is not even worth entertaining.
The Wifi signal was not strong nor consistent. (A huge one for me)
Building is old, windows are blocked from opening all the way by a screw in the form of a makeshift lock.
Pillows suck, you can ask for new ones, but decent pillows are a reasonable expectation.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank RandomWhiteDude
SleepyBearLaJolla, Manager at La Jolla Beach Travelodge, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

We are 300 yards from Wind an Sea Beach. One of the nicest beaches anywhere. Our motel was built in the 60's and is very clean and modern. We never stop renovating and improving the building and rooms. We have several type of rooms. The most economical are rooms with one Queen size bed, bigger rooms with one King size bed (recommended for couples), rooms with two Double beds or Suites are perfect for bigger families with kids. In each room you will find a microwave coffee maker, refrigerator, AC, cable, TV, irons and irons board. We get many compliments about our pillows and beds. We replace the pillows frequently and the mattresses are all double pillow top.
We serve the same complimentary breakfast that every Travelodge does and we serve it in our office. From 7-10 a.m. each morning we have: fresh Folgers coffee, orange juice, assorted herbal teas, hot chocolate, bagels with cream cheese, muffins, assorted danish, oatmeal, apples, oranges and two kinds of cereal with milk. If you would like something more than free continental breakfast Vahiks Café next door has a full breakfast, and there are a dozen other excellent breakfast restaurants within a mile of us.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

I actually have read many reviews about this place before I've decided to give a try. Now that I'd actually stayed here, I am not exactly sure if we are referring to the same place. Here are my pro and cons.

The Front Desk:

Pro -The lady in the front desk seemed to be nice.
Con- I did not know if she was aware of the restaurants near by. I wanted to try the Mexican restaurant across the street the first night I'd checked in, so I've asked her what time it closed. She said 10 PM. I'd thought I still had time (I've checked in around 8:40 PM). After I'd settled down, I went across the street just to find out that the restaurant closed at 9 PM. (My phone clock said 9:01 PM). Humm...

The room

Pro - The hotel is nearby a beach (within a 5 to 10 minutes of walk). The bed was comfortable.
Con - I had not seen such a small room. I am not a big person, but even to me, the room was small. I took a peek into other rooms when they were getting cleaned up, and it seemed like they were about the same size, so I was not sure about the reviews of some people referring this place spacious for a family to stay. Even their queen-sized bed was more like a twin. The bathroom window on the first floor was so low with no curtain that when I opened it, I could see cars parked in the alley literally right next to me. Our room was literally across from the storage (was not aware of it when I was checking in), and it literally got noisy from housekeeping getting things out even before 7 AM.

Parking

Pro - We did not have a problem finding a space. The lodging has an additional parking in the rear side.
Con - The additional parking was in the alley where the bathroom window opened to. There was a nail that stopped the window from opening further, but without a curtain, I was afraid someone could walk by and peeked into the bathroom.

My final thought is that this place could be a nice place to stay for some, but from my experience, I would advise anybody to ask for a room on the second floor, and if you happen to get a room between 201 to 207, ask for another room even before you check the room out unless you do not care if someone looks into your bathroom and about the noise early in the morning.

Room Tip: Avoid staying in a room numbered 201 to 207.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Ladybug104

We are happy your overall experience was a pleasant one, and you found features such as parking, great location and comfortable amenities to be to your full satisfaction. We strive to always provide the greatest and friendliest service, as well as accurate information. Apparently some restaurants close early when they have no customers. In relation to restaurants in the surroundings, there are many other great options nearby that are open late or even 24 hours: The Shack Bar & Grill, Alberto’s Mexican cantina, The Promiscuous Fork food joint as well as convenience stores, all walking distance from the hotel. There are also several great local pizza delivery restaurants we usually recommend as well.
Although we don’t have any twin size beds we do have different types of rooms: one Queen size bed, one King size bed, two Double beds, Suites with two Double beds in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room, Suite with one Queen size bed in in the bedroom and two Double beds in the living room. Our Penthouse has one King size and a private patio with an ocean view.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge