“Excellent Service”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Dearborn, Michigan
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here with my family and was blown-away by the service and value for the money. The Residence Inn La Jolla provided excellent service—better than many 5-Star Marriott’s I’ve stayed in, and I'm a Platinum Elite. The GM Ricki Smith sets the tone by going out of her way to accommodate guests. On my first day I asked to speak to her, and she was helping a customer by carrying their breakfast tray to the guest room. When I asked for help with my room, Ricki went out of her way to make it possible to stay there. Her hospitality kept me loyal to the Marriott chain when many in the corporate Marriott organization displayed apathy. Ricki's customer-first attitude permeates throughout her hotel staff, as everyone at the hotel goes out of their way to help any way possible. This is an excellent value—Ritz service for Residence Inn prices!!! Breakfasts are an excellent value, and every night there is a courtyard fire to huddle around.

Room Tip: breakfasts are great, parking tight
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Thank you so very much for your phenomenal review of your recent stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on having top notch quality service but to be compared to Ritz Carlton is very humbling. Being such a well traveled guest, a Platinum Elite member, you know what great service is because you practically live at our hotels! You've made us all proud of the accomplishments we've made toward delivering Marriott world class service. We hope to have you stay with us again very soon and thank you for sharing your experience!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Hebrew first
Southern California
Reviewed 30 June 2012

We were going to a concert at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and wanted to stay near by. We had accumulated reward points that residence in. Would redeem. I made our reservations a month prior to arrival. The morning of our arrival I called to confirm our reservation. Everything was on track. When we arrived to check in the gal that greeted us fumbled around (I thought she must have been new) she got Lorraine to help us. Lorraine announced "oh I was just getting g ready to call you" (we were there at 3 pm) "we have relocated you to the residence inn in the gas lamp district" (30 minutes away without traffic). I told her no thank you we wanted to stay at her site because it was close to the fairgrounds. She told me we couldn't because they were sold out. I asked how could this be when I had a reservation & went so far as to confirm it that morning. Lorraine treated us like we were being unreasonable for not jumping on her offer to relocate. She said there was nothing else available. We went around and around and then she found a room at the Del Mar Marriott. Next thing I know the mgr, Ricki, comes out and says "since you weren't willing to relocate & take the 20,000 reward points we offered (this was the 1st we heard of this offer) than we have a room here for you. Ricki was hostile & annoyed. I tried to ask how suddenly they had a room when before I was told there was absolute nothing & she abruptly told me not to worry about it. We took the room & as should be expected tad bit agitated at how we were treated. The room was clean, but small, dated & stuffy. It was not very appealing. It was not to Marriott's caliber of rooms. After the experience with check in & going to this mediocre room my husband called the nearby Hyatt and took a room there. We went back to the office to notify Ricki that we were going elsewhere. FINlALLY Ricki showed some concern & was more pleasant. She apologized for how her staff handled things, and tried to convince us to stay. Her attempts were a tad too late. The Hyatt was wonderful. The staff was courteous & the room was lovely. Residence Inn La Jolla blew it & they will never get my business again.

• Stayed June 2012
5 Thank tbird--fan
Good afternoon I hope this message finds you well. I want to take this first opportunity to express my deep gratitude of being a Marriott Rewards member. Secondly to apologize for the experience you had when trying to stay with us. Handling situations of this kind take delicate planning and proper delivery for it to be received well, unfortunately it wasn't and there was a miscommunication in how we were to approach this. We immediately took it as an opportunity to train our staff and took preventative measures to try to not have it happen again. I understand the frustrations you had and sincerely apologize for them. We hope you give Marriott the opportunity to change your tarnished view and possibly let us be that hotel. We appreciate all reviews good and bad; from them we learn and improve. Thank you.
Washington, DC
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I recommend this place if you want more space than the average hotel room, a kitchenette, breakfast, a place to sleep, but not luxury. Rooms were clean at least. This is an older (mid-80s) hotel that is renovated but still showing its age and every Residence Inn of this vintage looks exactly the same as if they were stamped out of the same factory. However, it did the trick. The staff is good plus helpful-- initially they put me in a room directly facing the pool and I protested due to the screaming kids and they moved me to a quieter location. Free wifi in rooms, which worked well most of the time. And yes, the $12 per day parking is ridiculous as others here have said. C'mon Marriott HQ please get rid of the parking fee. This property seemed to be a busy place with a lot of families and people coming and going. Served a better breakfast with more variety than other Residence Inns I've stayed at. Area was nice with pretty landscaping and plants, and this is a convenient walking distance to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and other shopping. Convenient with a car to UCSD, Scripps, and other La Jolla Institutions too. About a 10-15 minute drive to the beach in La Jolla. Like mostly anywhere in southern California, traffic is awful, so plan on adding additional time to your travel plans for getting to where you need to go.

Room Tip: Get a top floor away from the pool.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
The hotel and I appreciate the time you took to write a review regarding a recent stay with us. We are very happy to here that for the most part it was a positive and enjoyable experience. Offering many amenities you would either have to pay for or not have at other hotels we have all at your fingertips, complimentary. Specifically one to mention is our Wifi connections through out our hotel. For the most part it seemed the ease of use was good but not all the time. We are currently upgrading our internet network to meet the increasing demand that wireless devices and smart phones have posed in our hotel(s). Thank you again for recognizing our great staff service and feedback on areas of opportunity for us.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 28 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Residence Inn La Jolla for five days over Christmas and had a fabulous stay. This hotel is on par with any other Marriott hotel with great service and comfortable rooms. We got a ground floor studio suite and at first were somewhat concerned because we saw that the family above us had several kids running around but we hardly heard a thing except for Christmas morning, which is certainly understandable. The breakfast was the best complimentary hotel breakfast I've had at any of the dozens of hotels I've stayed at and the complimentary weeknight dinners were also a plus. If you plan on vacationing in La Jolla with a family I can see how the Residence Inn would pay itself off in just the complimentary food they offer.

The room was well decorated with an extremely comfortable bed that made you not want to have to leave. While many people have complained about the $12/night parking fee, we just asked the front desk if we could park on the street for free which they said would be just fine. The spot we found to park at on the street was actually closer to our room than the nearest parking space in the lot we could have find.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon I hope this message finds you well. I want to take this opportunity to thank you for coming on to TripAdvisor to share your past experience her at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed and indulged in our complimentary meal options... everyone loves it! Hope everything else was pleasant during your holiday trip and hope to see you and your wife again, thank you very much again for your time.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We found out a very cozy and well maintained apartment hotel in La Jolla, very close to the UCSD, with comfortable apartments and wonderful personel. High recomend it. Keep the good job ! Congratulations.

Room Tip: Leave it to the front desk with your preferences.
1 Thank HerbertA830
Thank you for reviewing and rating our hotel. We appreciate the time you took to do so and glad you had a positive experience with us. Everyone here invites you back on your next trip to the area. Again thank you!
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed 23 June 2012

The employees are all very nice and helpful, and the location is really convenient. They need to dump the $12 parking, or at least allow one free parking per room. Given the overall cost of visiting the area its not a big deal, but it feels, well, cheap.

That goes along with the feel of the place, which is solid but could definitely use some renovation. More plugs, a proper workspace like newer Marriott properties have, better bath, fix some fading and peeling paint, that sort of thing. Some of the outside areas were pretty nice but the spa is a little underwhelming. Excellent breakfast bar and very generous dinners Mon-Wed nights.

While the loft is neat, I would rather have a door and privacy in the room upstairs.

1 Thank EllicottDiner
, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Hello and thank you for your recent TripAdvisor review of our hotel. Being one of the first Residence Inns makes us a very unique property. Having the layout of the property more like an apartment/condo complex makes it feel more like you aren't in a hotel and that's something we and others love about it. You get the room to relax and be productive like at home with the added benefit of having a dedicated staff to take care of any needs you may have. We had a recent hotel renovation in late 2009 with all the updated new decor that you would see in new Residence Inns. Having four spa/Jacuzzis on property allow all our guests to enjoy them. Taking your feedback we will see what we can do to make it more inviting. Again we appreciate the time you took to give us your opinions, we do hope to improve from them.
reno
Reviewed 21 June 2012

free breakfast, close to ucsd, charged $12/d parking. congested area, not near beaches, but near movies, restaurants, and stores. Nothing fancy or unique for price.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of our hotel we very much appreciate your feedback. As with most hotels in San Diego and specially La Jolla, this is at peak season for summer travel and unfortunately congestion can be an issue. We make every effort to have a proactive approach at all times but especially during the summer. Having a complimentary buffet breakfast is one amenity that sets us apart from most hotels and our guests utilize it fully. To try to aide in the "breakfast traffic" we let guests know when busy times happen and also suggest coming down to grab breakfast to enjoy back in the spacious suite they have. I hope we do get to see your family here again, thank you for your time.