“Over the top service. A+”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Very convienient location, close to transportation and hiways. Near by groceries drug store resterants and movie theaters. Although I was here on buisness I would gladly come back with family for vacations. Near by beaches and sights are a plus, but the best thing about this place is the staff. From the check in counter to the very caring and hard working staff that make it all happen. The food served was excellent, and the services were provided with a caring attitude. Well Done, and Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Robert G
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Hello Robert G from Oklahoma City, thank you so very much for your fantastic rating and review of our hotel. Knowing that we've made such a great impression on you, enough to make you want to come back, is so gratifying to all of us. You said you were here on business and would bring the family on vacation, we'll we would love to have all of you here! Hopefully we get to have you back soon and again thank you very much for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

The place is easy to find, close enough to I-5, and it will take you about 10' to downtown La Jolla and 15' to Balboa Park, San Diego. Our suite was clean and well taken care off. The "free" breakfast was well supplied and extensive; the breakfast area is roomy and you can even sit outside. Thursday evening they offered a complimentary barbecue dinner. Access to free internet is provided. There is a pool and more than one jacuzzi. Everybody on staff was very friendly and helpful. Special service issues were immediately addressed. This is a great place if you have a car, want to stay several days, have kids or are in a group, and/or want to keep an eye on your expenses.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nemak

Hello and thank you for your recent review of our hotel. We appreciate the time you took to let us and the travelers that visit this site of the great location and service you experienced. We take great pride in knowing we meet and exceed the expectations of all that stay with us. Again thank you and we hope you get to visit us again soon!

Reviewed 12 July 2012

The hotel is located close to UCSD and the La Jolla Village shops. Good for those who need to be close to the university. It's about a 20 min drive to San Diego downtown / Old town areas and about 15 mins to La Jolla Shores / Cove. There's a Sheraton and Hyatt nearby as well and Residence Inn would rank 2nd amongst this group, with Hyatt at the top and Sheraton the least favorite for me. The studios come equipped with a mini-kitchen which is useful when traveling with family / kids. Good place for extended stays - i.e., more than 3 days. Daily breakfast and eveing snacks on M/T/W are decent. Parking is a bit hard to find in the evening but the hotel uses the lot of an adjacent commercial building at night for overnight parking. It's an old property with the room interiors and kitchens updated. The bathroom and vanity areas were clean but could be modernized.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NTS_2011
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us. It seems you enjoyed and like your experience here but hold a competitor in a higher regard. We would hope that our home touch feeling and personal “guests come first" approach would set us apart from them as we are very different. As you described many of our complimentary amenities we provide to you are either non existent or at a cost to you the guest to have at our neighboring hotel competitors. Hopefully we get another chance to wow you more and show that we are a notch above the rest. Again thank you for review and business!

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Pros: Spacious, clean rooms. All the comforts of home with a small kitchen. Good service. Close drive to shops and La Jolla shores. Bathroom is a little small. Free breakfast was very filling and complete -- waffles, fruits, juice, eggs, juice. Strong signal for free wi-fi.

Cons: Parking tends to fill up at night. If you stay on lower level, footsteps and noise can be heard from the above level. Room had an odor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

I would like to thank you personally for the time you took to share your recent experience at our hotel. Thank you for recognizing how we offer spacious suites that include fully equip kitchens, "good service", hearty breakfast, and free Wi-Fi; recently upgraded to meet our guests high speed demands. We apologize that you experienced noise from the neighboring room and the odor you said the room had. Whenever a guest is having any type of inconvenience we always want them to let us know so we may rectify it immediately and ensure our standards are meet. Thank you and have a great and wonderful day.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

I stayed here with my family and was blown-away by the service and value for the money. The Residence Inn La Jolla provided excellent service—better than many 5-Star Marriott’s I’ve stayed in, and I'm a Platinum Elite. The GM Ricki Smith sets the tone by going out of her way to accommodate guests. On my first day I asked to speak to her, and she was helping a customer by carrying their breakfast tray to the guest room. When I asked for help with my room, Ricki went out of her way to make it possible to stay there. Her hospitality kept me loyal to the Marriott chain when many in the corporate Marriott organization displayed apathy. Ricki's customer-first attitude permeates throughout her hotel staff, as everyone at the hotel goes out of their way to help any way possible. This is an excellent value—Ritz service for Residence Inn prices!!! Breakfasts are an excellent value, and every night there is a courtyard fire to huddle around.

Room Tip: breakfasts are great, parking tight
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Thank you so very much for your phenomenal review of your recent stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on having top notch quality service but to be compared to Ritz Carlton is very humbling. Being such a well traveled guest, a Platinum Elite member, you know what great service is because you practically live at our hotels! You've made us all proud of the accomplishments we've made toward delivering Marriott world class service. We hope to have you stay with us again very soon and thank you for sharing your experience!

Reviewed 30 June 2012

We were going to a concert at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and wanted to stay near by. We had accumulated reward points that residence in. Would redeem. I made our reservations a month prior to arrival. The morning of our arrival I called to confirm our reservation. Everything was on track. When we arrived to check in the gal that greeted us fumbled around (I thought she must have been new) she got Lorraine to help us. Lorraine announced "oh I was just getting g ready to call you" (we were there at 3 pm) "we have relocated you to the residence inn in the gas lamp district" (30 minutes away without traffic). I told her no thank you we wanted to stay at her site because it was close to the fairgrounds. She told me we couldn't because they were sold out. I asked how could this be when I had a reservation & went so far as to confirm it that morning. Lorraine treated us like we were being unreasonable for not jumping on her offer to relocate. She said there was nothing else available. We went around and around and then she found a room at the Del Mar Marriott. Next thing I know the mgr, Ricki, comes out and says "since you weren't willing to relocate & take the 20,000 reward points we offered (this was the 1st we heard of this offer) than we have a room here for you. Ricki was hostile & annoyed. I tried to ask how suddenly they had a room when before I was told there was absolute nothing & she abruptly told me not to worry about it. We took the room & as should be expected tad bit agitated at how we were treated. The room was clean, but small, dated & stuffy. It was not very appealing. It was not to Marriott's caliber of rooms. After the experience with check in & going to this mediocre room my husband called the nearby Hyatt and took a room there. We went back to the office to notify Ricki that we were going elsewhere. FINlALLY Ricki showed some concern & was more pleasant. She apologized for how her staff handled things, and tried to convince us to stay. Her attempts were a tad too late. The Hyatt was wonderful. The staff was courteous & the room was lovely. Residence Inn La Jolla blew it & they will never get my business again.

• Stayed: June 2012
5  Thank tbird--fan
Management response:Responded 12 July 2012

Good afternoon I hope this message finds you well. I want to take this first opportunity to express my deep gratitude of being a Marriott Rewards member. Secondly to apologize for the experience you had when trying to stay with us. Handling situations of this kind take delicate planning and proper delivery for it to be received well, unfortunately it wasn't and there was a miscommunication in how we were to approach this. We immediately took it as an opportunity to train our staff and took preventative measures to try to not have it happen again. I understand the frustrations you had and sincerely apologize for them. We hope you give Marriott the opportunity to change your tarnished view and possibly let us be that hotel. We appreciate all reviews good and bad; from them we learn and improve. Thank you.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

I recommend this place if you want more space than the average hotel room, a kitchenette, breakfast, a place to sleep, but not luxury. Rooms were clean at least. This is an older (mid-80s) hotel that is renovated but still showing its age and every Residence Inn of this vintage looks exactly the same as if they were stamped out of the same factory. However, it did the trick. The staff is good plus helpful-- initially they put me in a room directly facing the pool and I protested due to the screaming kids and they moved me to a quieter location. Free wifi in rooms, which worked well most of the time. And yes, the $12 per day parking is ridiculous as others here have said. C'mon Marriott HQ please get rid of the parking fee. This property seemed to be a busy place with a lot of families and people coming and going. Served a better breakfast with more variety than other Residence Inns I've stayed at. Area was nice with pretty landscaping and plants, and this is a convenient walking distance to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and other shopping. Convenient with a car to UCSD, Scripps, and other La Jolla Institutions too. About a 10-15 minute drive to the beach in La Jolla. Like mostly anywhere in southern California, traffic is awful, so plan on adding additional time to your travel plans for getting to where you need to go.

Room Tip: Get a top floor away from the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

The hotel and I appreciate the time you took to write a review regarding a recent stay with us. We are very happy to here that for the most part it was a positive and enjoyable experience. Offering many amenities you would either have to pay for or not have at other hotels we have all at your fingertips, complimentary. Specifically one to mention is our Wifi connections through out our hotel. For the most part it seemed the ease of use was good but not all the time. We are currently upgrading our internet network to meet the increasing demand that wireless devices and smart phones have posed in our hotel(s). Thank you again for recognizing our great staff service and feedback on areas of opportunity for us.