“Good Stay - Large facility”

Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I had a good stay at this Residence Inn. As a multi-year status member with Marriott, I have 50+ nights per year in various Marriott properties. Although I was only at this property for 1 night, here was my impression:

- Large facility - you'll probably be walking on a sidewalk to breakfast. Not just down the hall.
- Parking is tight - lots of cars in small spaces. Some rooms are on the backside of buildings so you won't necessarily have your car right outside your room.
- Staff was super nice - Although the lobby is small, I was permitted to check in a bit early and use the lobby computer to print immediately.
- Room was good - King room was nice. Bathroom was clean. Not super high end but very utilitarian. I'm good with that so long as everything is clean! Bed was comfortable. No unusual smells. Kitchen is always appreciated.
- Noise - the only noise issues I had were from other residents thinking it was acceptable to have LOUD conversations while hanging out between buildings. Not the Hotel's fault. I just take it as a reminder to always be considerate even when people may not be directly in your line of vision...

overall a good stay. Thanks Residence Inn!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank glacierapm
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla

Reviewed 19 August 2014

As always, superb customer service. Dana at the front desk was excellent. Can't thank her enough for getting me into my room a little earlier than check-in time. I will only stay at this hotel in the La Jolla area and there are so many to choose from!
Room was neat and clean. Staff was very freindly and accomodating.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Adina A
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you Adina A for being a Senior Reviewer here on TripAdvisor and continuing to stay at our hotel. Your kind and commendable comments about our hotel is very appreciated. You specifically mentioned how excellent Dana has been and our team will be sure to recognize her high level of service. Look forward to your next visit, thank you again for gracious review.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed here for 3 weeks while I was doing a summer internship. The rooms were paid for by the company I was interning with, so can't comment on the price. It's located 1 mile away from UTC, a mall with every major chain, and is also right next to neighboring UCSD. The closest beach is a 30 minute walk. The best part of this hotel is their shuttle service - I used it to go to work everyday during the summer. All their staff is really friendly, and I got to know them well over the course of my stay. If you are looking for a place to stay for a few wees, and want to stay close to La Jolla, this is a pretty nice place.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room close to the pool - it gets very loud on the weekends.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel was in a good location for us, but upon arriving our room wasn't what we expected. We checked in and then went to our room. It was a queen sized bed. We had reserved a king. I went to the front desk and they said that since we requested a wheelchair accessible room, that we would have to have a queen sized bed. Now this wouldn't be a big deal, but I had my confirmation by email that said king studio with guaranteed roll in shower. They said I could change to a king room, but it wouldn't have a roll in shower. This would not work for us. It gets frustrating for me when hotels cannot have proper wheelchair accessible rooms with the amenities and preferences that everyone else gets. We decided that we would stay the night. We were tired after traveling.

The room itself was a good size. But it smelled musty and damp. Everything felt wet in the room. I know it was humid, but it was miserable. We turned the A/C on and it didn't really help. The bed was not very comfortable. The internet was TERRIBLE. There were ANTS all over the table in the kitchenette. I went to the front and the woman working said they could get someone to our room to spray, but I didn't want to deal with that smell right before going to bed. The NOISE in the room was terrible. Every move the people above us made was easily heard by us. We could hear them moving around all night. Doors to other rooms would slam and wake us up. The A/C would either freeze us or we'd be sweating hot. We barely got any sleep.

We decided one night was enough for us. We checked out the next day, two nights early. We knew we wouldn't be comfortable or get any sleep if we stayed here. We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MG_AZ
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Hello MG_AZ I hope this message finds you well. We appreciate you feedback and comments about your stay and saddened to hear it didn't meet your expectations. Our hotel takes great pride in ensuring our guests satisfaction. Accessible rooms only permit queen size beds in the suite to allow guests in wheelchairs the ability to move around without obstruction. We will take this opportunity to look into possible solutions to make sure an incident like this doesn't happen again. Please accept our apologizes and I hope you have a great day.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 August 2014

For $229 (plus taxes and parking fees-Friday price) for a studio, I expect more. Marriott needs to pay attention to this hotel. The check in area is small and unappealing. I felt like I was walking into a motel 6 not a Marriott property. The units are very spread out, pool and hot tubs are not near each other, some areas need landscaping (missing wood chips, cracked sidewalks, seems run down). The basketball hoop couldn't be used because it is situated over parking spaces and cars were parked there. Our room-3013. We had 2 adults in the king bed, sofa bed for our teen. Pillows are foam and very hard and uncomfortable, multiple scratches on the cabinetry in the bathroom and cracks at the bottom of the bathroom door. Neither the TV nor the light over the sofa bed were plugged in (we had to lift the couch to get at the plug), so not sure when this room was used last. One large TV, one chair which was the desk chair. The desk is situated between the kitchen area and the sofa sleeper which I guess is supposed to substitute for the eating table. The kitchen is nicely equipped, stainless appliances, full refrig and nice décor. If you want to cook, there is no place to sit down and eat (unless you are alone), everyone shares the desk chair or you sit on the couch and eat without a table. Why not put extra chairs and a small table in the corner of the room to use or put some folding chairs in the closet? Wifi sometimes went in and out, and I did not always get cell reception.. No problem with cell reception when I stepped outside onto the small patio (no furniture to sit on either). Our room overlooked an office building and was quiet-except for the people upstairs. The breakfast area was crowded but we found tables available either inside or outside (about 9:30am) Food is standard buffet fare, with some nice hot items like bacon, sausage, pancakes, oatmeal, scrambled eggs. I believe the complimentary evening meal/wine is only Monday-Wednesday, nothing on weekends. .the best thing about this property is the location, close to many restaurants and stores and close to I-5.. About 10-15 minutes to La Jolla Village and Torrey Pines State park where we were going. I have to say, I prefer the Embassy suites on La Jolla village Drive over this property and embassy suites is cheaper...probably won't come back and I'm pretty loyal to Marriott..my husband also said he wouldn't come back and he rarely complains.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue T

Hello Sue T I hope this message finds you well. The hotel and I are saddened and disappointed to hear about your less than satisfactory experience. Our goal is to give each guest a pleasant and relaxing stay each and every time. You've brought up a few specific details and we will be looking into the issues. You should expect a lot at a Marriott, we have high expectations and standards striving to always be the #1 choice for hotel accommodations. Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your time.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

This hotel follows the standard Residence Inn formula with a large studio with an adjoining kitchen. No dining room table but they have a desk with plenty of plugs. It is a good setup for a business worker or couple but slightly less optimal for a family if you want to put the kids to bed early because there isn't a separate bedroom. They are a little scuffed up but nothing serious. They were clean and everything worked. The couch is a pull out bed.

The front staff put our two rooms together as requested in the reservation and were friendly efficient and courteous.

The location is great for North San Diego, UCSD just a couple minutes away, Miramar and La Jolla. The site is quiet with little street noise.

There is a series of buildings, two stories tall so you are either on the ground floor or one floor up. No elevators so if you have trouble carrying your luggage upstairs, ask for a ground floor place. Parking can be tight in the evenings but we found a place without much trouble.

The breakfast is nice for a standard buffet. Hot food includes waffles, bacon, sausages, potatoes and eggs. Seating can be a little tough at peak times.

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Patricia O, Manager at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Good Morning MacroSeattle_WA,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to hear that we were able to honor your request for side by side rooms and you were able to enjoy our complimentary breakfast but we aredisappointed that you didn't find the room type perfect for your family needs. We do offer different room types which you may find more accomodating on your next visit to La Jolla.
Thank you again for staying with us.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Residence Inn facilities are similar in many places across US. But being in La Jolla, a very nice beach suburb, I was thinking tha hotel could provide a plus for the zoning (and the pricing)
For all the rest, this is a regular Residence Inn, with great functionality and well located.
Light dinner and breakfast was great, and the employees servicing guests (and late arrivals like us) were always very friendly and willing to go the extra mile.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms at the end of the complex. They are too far from the main house.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Denis K
Morgan S, Guest Care Supervisor at Residence Inn San Diego La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very happy to see that you found our staff very friendly and went the extra mile to make your stay a great one. Most of our guests when reviewing our hotel mention how great the value is, I'm sorry that you didn't not have this same feeling. We do hope that you would choose to stay with us again if you came back to the area. Again thank you for the time you took to write this review.

Warm Regards,