“....and I almost didn't stay!”

Holiday Inn Express La Jolla
Ranked #18 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Hyattsville, Maryland
“....and I almost didn't stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

We arrived at this pretty, not large motel. The desk clerk was not very happy to see us, though. We were clearly interrupting her reading. That was a big disappointment and a worry. I want people to be happy to see me when I am giving them my money! But after a long trip, we decided to take a room at least for the night.
The room was in the courtyard of a very inviting pool area. Nice landscaping, plenty of attractive pool side furniture. The room itself was spacious, had microwave and refrigerator. The décor was low key and calming. Nice window treatments without fabric. I like that. The shower was really nice, like a spa, natural colored tiles, glass panel. No shower curtain to worry about, and we all know how grody they get! Room very clean. Bed linens were fresh and did not smell like tobacco smoke as they often do. Downside, the lighting was very dim.
The beds were firm, I was at first put off by that, but slept very well for the entire stay.
The breakfast was adequate, but skip the "eggs".
Everyone else, succeeding desk clerks, maintenance, housekeeping, breakfast room lady so pleasant and helpful. Always had a greeting and a smile. No request was too much.
We were treated very well in a very nice place.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank junezelno
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear junezeino,

Thank you the review. We are so glad you decided to stay. Your account of the accommodations, facilities and our team, save reception, describe perfectly what we offer and attempt to accomplish every day. Please accept my sincere apology for the unwelcoming behavior you encountered at reception. I am grateful that you shared this experience because I may now correct the behavior and eliminate the disappointment you encountered for our future guests. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you again during your next visit to La Jolla.
Larry Clark

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Korean first
Mumbai
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Its a run down hotel right at the other end of La Jolla. Very small and basic rooms, low lighting and very few restaurants around. Its a long walk to La Jolla cove and the lively stretch of restaurants, bars and shops. Its almost impossible to get cabs around though there is a bus stop right outside the hotel. The swimming pool is small, breakfast was average and on the whole not a great experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank sk18
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear sk18,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. I apologize that our quaint hotel located 2 blocks from one of the most beautiful beaches in San Diego did not meet your expectations for location. We continually maintain the property ensuring that everything is fresh, clean and in working order. I would like to learn more regarding the condition you reported so that it may be corrected immediately.

858.454.7101
Palm Desert, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for his birthday and had a great experience. Zakia at the front desk was very sweet and helpful, since it was my husband's birthday she offered us a complimentary suite upgrade which we really appreciated :) (and gave us a late check out).
We had a great time staying at this property, the location was great, especially since it is within walking distance to the beach, and the staff was very helpful. Zakia made our stay even better by recomending good places to visit and overall being very friendly and genuinely pleasant.
We will definetly be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear SenoritaSully,
Thank you very much for sharing your Great Stay experience and for acknowledging the service you received from Zakia at the front desk. We take great pride in assuring our guests comfort and satisfaction. I know Zakia will be delighted to hear how her effort had such an impact on your visit. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to your return.
Odenton, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Room was small. The most disappointing thing was the pillows. I have never seen such terrible pillows. I am glad we at lest had our own pillow cases with us. Lighting in the bathroom was weird. It was like a night lamp. Location was good. Very close to the beach. There is one catch though, you have to imagine the street noise as it was the waves from the ocean in order to be able to sleep. Breakfast was average, too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NefiseYavuzer
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear NefiseYavuzer,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. It is good to hear that your enjoyed our location near the beach. We certainly do not strive to be average. I am very sorry that this was your experience. I’ve taken serious note of comment regarding the pillows and we are inspecting the condition of each.

Detroit, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

This hotel was slightly disappointing. We requested two beds, but when we arrived early, we were told they only had a room with one bed. The room was small. The bed was not comfortable. The lighting in the bathroom was not sufficient. The breakfast was standard; coffee, eggs, bacon, biscuits/gravy.

On the other hand, the location is great. Its very close to downtown La Jolla; shopping, eating, drinking. Its about 2-3 blocks away from the ocean. The Point Loma Lighthouse and Cabrillo National Monument is about a 30 minute drive.

If you can handle an uncomfortable bed, the location makes up for the rest.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Megnolia07
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Dear Megnolia07,
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for sharing your experience. Please accept my sincere apology for your disappointment. From what I gather, you did not reserve a room with two beds. Please know that we attempt to honor every request. We had many families visit over the holidays enjoying our great weather and the two bedded rooms were a hit. I’d love to discus this with you further so that I may address the room issues you described as well as my assumption. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location and hope that we have an opportunity to serve you in the future.
Victoria, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

We recently arrived at this property from Palm Springs to be told rudely by Zakia at the front desk that she had cancelled our confirmed reservation and that the hotel was "sold out". I was shocked and asked for an explanation. She alternated stories between an allegation that our credit card hadn't gone through (why it would have been run before we arrived is not clear) and that we arrived too late (7pm). Our credit card is and was in fine working order. I asked why I wasn't called about any alleged issue before cancelling the reservation and Zakia stated that she had called me earlier that day on my cell phone (she had correct number). I hadn't received any calls. Still stunned as we soon had dinner reservations and no where to stay I asked for the manager's number and help finding another hotel--Zakia refused saying "we don't do that". I told her that I had never been treated like this at a Holiday Inn and then went out to the car and confirmed that my cell phone had received no calls from the hotel.

I further went online and found that there were rooms still available that night--at a much higher rate than I had booked (after being expressly told they were sold out)! I immediately called Zakia back (I had the manager's card) and said no one had called my phone and demanded to know when she had called me and then she stated that in fact she hadn't called "personally" but allegedly another staff member had. As my phone showed this was not true. Then as I started to raise the issue about rooms available she rudely hung up on me. This was outrageous as I had remained calm and polite in the manner of my interaction with her.

I believe this hotel may have a practice of cancelling reservations confirmed at lower rates (we had ours for weeks in advance) when they are close to selling out in order to maximize profit from latecomers who pay much higher rates. Buyer (or in this case Holiday Inn Express La Jolla guests) beware. Beyond this, Zakia was so incredibly rude I was left in a stunned state when I left the hotel, having never been treated so badly (including being lied to) by a front-desk attendant before. Very disappointing experience as we were looking forward to a visit to La Jolla and could only find accommodations (fortunately) elsewhere before returning home. Our short vacation was ruined.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank foliesdecognac
Larry C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express La Jolla, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear foliesdecognac,

As a fellow IHG Employee, there are many avenues available to you to voice and correct any perceived service or reservation inadequacies. Choosing a public forum to raise these issues is disappointing. However, I am grateful for the opportunity to address your warning to our future guests. It is absurd to cancel a reservation, including an employee rate, in order to resell the accommodation. We have a reservation guarantee and had we not been able to honor your reservation, we provide a complimentary night at a nearby hotel. Not only does this not increase profit, it hurts it in the future. After we sell our last room, we authorize the credit cards on the day of arrival that are used to confirm the reservations. If the credit card can not be charged, it is not reasonable to expect us to hold a room. It is our practice during this extremely rare situation to phone, assist with alternate accommodations and to remain friendly and helpful throughout. I apologize that this did not occur, and I am very disappointed with the lack of care and courtesy you received. I would love the opportunity to discuss this situation with you further and can be reached at 858.454.7101.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

On a business trip and stayed in the Holiday Inn Express La Jolla Beach. I arrived very late on a Sunday evening but no problem with check in and given water, crisps and cereal bar on arrive...which oddly after a days travel was very welcome. Room was OK in size, desk, fridge, iron etc. Bathroom had a great shower but no bath in my room.....not sure if that is common throughout hotel. There's a pool on site.....outside and small but looked OK. Breakfast was coffee and help yourself with cereal and bread etc.....nothing fancy but sets you up for the rest of the day. Hotel location was very close to the beach 5 min walk which I did in the morning before 07:00AM......and it looked fab. Big waves, surfers already out and sandy beaches. A little different to home! I paid $50 in a taxi from airport to hotel...possibly over the odds but $40 - $50 sound OK.

Room Tip: I guess some rooms might back onto the road....or you might before a room overlooking the pool.