“Wonderful! Yummy!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went here for breakfast with friends, and it was great! I had an incredible apple strudel, my husband had the special egg dish of the day, a 3rd had an eggplant sandwich that she pronounced was "to die for", and the 4th had the cowboy quiche. I would highly recommend this place for breakfast, lunch or an early bite to eat in the evening. Their cookies and bakery goods are superb.

1  Thank Torquay102010

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stopped here for a quick lunch prior to playing golf at Torrey Pines. My gosh, what a find. I would LOVE to have one of these down the street from my home in TX. I got a "veggie sandwich" that may be the best one I've ever eaten. I also got a cowboy cookie that was delicious. I will definitely go back there if I'm ever in the area again! Yum!

1  Thank 943lizs
Reviewed 25 February 2014

I was trying to find a quick place for lunch, and settled on this. Trying to be thrifty I thought I'd get half a sandwich and a cup of soup. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend, I should've had only the soup as my sandwich was plain and no different than one I'd make at home. It was my first time having pozole and I really enjoyed it. My server was friendly, but the whole place was nothing special. The desserts looked better than the food.

1  Thank Kristen M
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Smell the cookies ? It must be Girard's . If you get there early in the morning , the baked goods are fresh ! Friendly service and great salads to . Super fast if in a hurry ...

Reviewed 17 December 2013

We saw this little place, and we came back several times because the food--while pricey and definately NOT inspired---was good and straight forward and the lemony shortbread cookies were VERY good WHEN THEY WERE FRESH. We regretted that we didn't keep walking further down Girard where we would have found an Italian Family Deli---we saw it as we were driving out of town. We didn't eat with the Italians, but had a sample of some pasta dish at the Deli Counter and it was GREAT. As for Girard Gourmet, while the food was good and the place was clean, the staff were kind of snippity and not very hospitable. We decided that there were take-out food regulars and eat in regulars from the neighborhood and they weren't really interested in us tourists. For instance, ordering from the deli display case, there was something called "German Potato" (I think that was what it was) . . .so we asked if that meant German Potato Salad (we knew what THAT was). We were told NO. . . not German Potato Salad, simply "German Potato". When we asked. . . what does that mean?. . . they said that meant it was a German Potato. We might have continued going around in circles like this, but it felt like Abbott & Costello "Who's On First" so we gave up trying to get an answer as to what was in/on/constituted a German Potato and we just didn't order it. Clearly, the question was too much for the staff. . . all of whom were cut from the same cloth. . .a little haughty and condescending in response to practically anything we asked or any directions we gave on how we wanted our food prepared. Staff/servers were huffy and projected the attitude that they were really doing everyone a favor just to be in the same room as the diners. But, the Turkey Sandwiches were great, the bread and regular salads were great and the side salads (other than mysterious German Potato) were nice enough. However, on our next trip to La Jolla. . . we'll walk further down to the Italian Deli where we expect we'll receive that warm Mediterranean love from the staff. . . which makes any food taste better.

1  Thank foodaspoetry