“Friendly local spot”

China Chef
Ranked #187 of 1,241 Restaurants in La Jolla
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Friendly local spot”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Almost hole-in-the-wall small, this friendly little Chinese restaurant has reliably good food, always welcomes us, and never hurries us out the door. We're "regulars" and salt-and-pepper shrimp is our perennial favorite -- sometimes I just crave it. We also love many of the vegetable dishes (especially szechuan string beans and broccoli, snow peas & black mushrooms). Portion size is good and prices are reasonable. Contrary to one reviewer's experience, we've always been served quickly. I can't say that I'd travel across town to dine here, but I'm very glad to have it in the neighborhood -- and the way we're welcomed, China Chef adds to our sense of neighborhood.

• Visited January 2014

San Francisco, California
“Terrible Experience”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We chose China Chef because we were under a little time pressure and thought a Chinese restaurant would be quick. China Chef wasn’t; it took 25 minutes for our food to arrive after we ordered. To top it all off, one of our two orders was the wrong dish.

It wasn’t hard to see the reason for the chaotic service: the restaurant staff was spending all its time on take-out orders, while ignoring the customers seated at tables.

The food itself was mediocre.

• Visited July 2013
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Rhonda and I had lunch here today and was able to sit in the "private" dining room that is in an area facing Pearl with nice furniture. Food was delicious (and made when ordered) and the service was outstanding.

• Visited July 2013
Rancho Santa Fe, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“crave it!”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

I own a house in LJ and used to live there (rent it out now). I initially ordered from China Chef because they delivered. After the first time, I ordered it weekly!! LOVE their food. No MSG and the veggies are always crispy and fresh - perfectly cooked and beautiful. Their Wor Wonton Soup is to die for and I actually crave it! Their sweet and sour chicken is another favorite, as well as their veggie fried rice. We've had many dishes from this restaurant and I have never had anything that wasn't delicious! Now that we've moved to Rancho Santa Fe, I can't find anything even remotely comparable. We still do take out from China Chef at least once a month. Note to China Chef - please open another restaurant in our area or expand the delivery area!!!!! We love your food!!!

• Visited May 2013
“Fried Rice different”
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We ordered a Family A dinner and a Family B dinner on May 6, 2013 and since we live two blocks away just walked there to pick it up, to feed us and another couple we had been spending some time with that day. The food was good and we will go back. The fried rice does not have all the stuff I usually see in fried rice but it was OK.

• Visited May 2013