“Bad Food, bad experience”

Karl Strauss Brewing Company
Ranked #20 of 1,236 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We had a business dinner here one night. The food was terriable, but the beer was good. The bad experience came from when the waitress accidently taped two people in our group on the heads with plates. The manager came, out and appoligized, gave the two people free beers, and then proceeded to tell them they could not leave the resturant until they signed a waiver removing the resturant from any liability. The small hits on the head were very minor and we laughed about it at the time. This place must be run by a lawyer.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our waiter was great, the food was very good, and the beer was excellent. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have one of their "feature beers" in stock, but otherwise, I was very pleased.

We sat outside and the atmosphere was just to our liking. I'd make this a regular place, were I to move to La Jolla!

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Enjoyed eating at this friendly place. Waitress provided my wife and I with lots of craft beer samples before we decided on a glass. Some were too light/watery for our taste but we liked the pilsener beer and the amber ale. My wife chose a chopped cashew chicken salad while I had the crunchy BBQ chicken salad. Both were excellent with lots of fresh veggies. I would definitely eat here again and recommend it to family and friends.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

If you are in the mood to try flights of beers, this is a good place to get an assortment of different beer options. I prefer my beer a little more hoppy and saturated, but the assorted tastes were very satisfying on a busy day of shopping. The nachos are enormous and plenty for 2 for lunch. I tried the melon and quinoa salad, which was very California and inventive. Our waiter was full of personality and made us feel welcomed from the moment we sat down. The waiter brought us a sample (gratis) of a raspberry beer and another of a chocolate-ish beer which were interesting and fun. Karl Strauss has brewery/restaurants in Carlsbad, Temecula, and a few other locations, as well. Worth the visit. Fun!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Great variety of food. The steak salad is great. They bring you a selection of their beers complimentary.