“A little heaven up in the mountains”

Chenrezig Institute
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Eudlo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chenrezig Institute is a centre for Buddhist study, meditation, retreat, and practice nestled in the foothills of the Sunshine Coast Hinterland in Queensland, Australia. Established in 1974 Chenrezig Institute was one of the first Tibetan Buddhist centre in the Western World and remains one of the largest.Today, the Institute is home to a Tibetan Lama, a large community of Sangha (monks and nuns), students, residents, volunteers, retreatants, and guests. Apart from the formal study programmes, Chenrezig Institute is a peaceful, calm and relaxing place to spend a few hours, days or weeks. Stroll along the bush paths, wander in the formal garden, sip espresso in the café,have a vegetarian meal, drop in for a meditation class or teaching, or just sit and listen to life.
Sunshine Coast, Australia
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A little heaven up in the mountains”
Reviewed 17 May 2013

This place has its own charm and character. Classically Tibetian. Being set up in the mountains away from the hustle and bustle of life, one cannot but feel peaceful and tranquil when up there. This is one place I some time go to escape the rat race for half a day or so and perhaps do some meditation. The canteen offers up some good vegetarian meals but you need to book in advance.
Must admit, this is not the best of temples that I've been nor is it the most impressive that I've seen, but is nonetheless a little gem of a sanctuary.

Visited February 2013
7 Thank Jemmimah S

Sunshine Coast, QLD
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“So Peaceful”
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I love going here to grab a great Vegetarian meal....the drive up to the Institute is really tranquil and pretty and once there, the feeling of peace kinda engulfs you....the meals are great and cheap but you must ring up and book a meal or else you have to wait to see what is left over. I have done a meditation course here and it was great. The only drawback is the steps up to the institute itself .... I am not at all fit to say the least .... and they get me all the time ... lol but if you have a disability or are elderly you can drive up to the top....

Visited March 2013
4 Thank Terrorbull12
gold coast oz
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“Perfect Peace”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I wanted a place to stay so I could recharge my batteries. I did not want to go to a Spa/Resort/Bootcamp.
I stayed in a retreat hut which was self contained. I took my own food but bought lunch 2 days.
As there are Buddhist Nuns & Monks living here the food is vegetarian and I have to say some of the most delicious food I have ever had .
It felt like I was in another country & i have never felt so much peace in my life.
Questions are most welcome.
Jem

Visited March 2013
7 Thank jemGoldCoastOz
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

We drove the Chenrezig to find out where it was and we found a beautiful, peaceful retreat. Will definitely take the kids to the Dharma kids day.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Clare T
Wangaratta, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Take the time, it's worth it”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Do you want me to tell you all about it? No, you don't do you? Just go and see. It's refreshing and peaceful

Visited October 2012