“If looking for something cheap this is the place”
Review of Motel 6 La Mesa CA

Motel 6 La Mesa CA
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Montreal, Canada
“If looking for something cheap this is the place”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Almost everything was perfect, the room, the mattress, no bad smell all clean and quiet. The only bad thing was the continental breakfast, there was nothing to eat beside buns, and the juice machine was out of order.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Super8SanDiego, General Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you very much for allowing us to serve you on your recent trip to San Diego/ La Mesa. We do apologize for the quality of the towels and the limited selection of items for our continental breakfast. You are correct we are currently expanding our facilities to accomodate a larger selection of breakfast items. Unfortunately, until that time we are only allowed to serve pre-package items. We will be offering up to 8 individual items in our new expanded Super Start Breakfast. It is our hope you will give us another oppurtunity to serve your lodging needs.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
north georgia
Reviewed 8 March 2012

very nice place and friendly people. the towels could be improved. Continental breakfast was no more than a honey bun, coffee and juice. I think they are working on improving that.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We found our very cheap, but conveniently located room at the Super 8 surprisingly nice; updated with granite counter at the sink, a mini-fridge and microwave in the room, new, comfy beds with nice linens, very clean. There were some interesting characters at night in the parking lot, but the night manager was out there keeping an eye on everything. A manager is on the premises 24/7 and we found security to be excellent. Everyone we encountered on the staff was pleasant and helpful. Don't look for breakfast, but just down the street is Shirley's Diner, a famiy-run place that serves very good food with friendly service.

Room Tip: The back corner rooms, while quieter, have poorer quality internet access,which the manager told us...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
I am pleased our night auditor did his duty and made you feel safe at our location. Our goal is to simply provide a clean, quiet, and safe location for our guests and to provide them with superior servie. Thank you for your kind words, they are much appriciated and will serve as motivation for our team!
Big Stone City
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I read the other reviews on this hotel and they are spot on accurate. The rooms are clean, pretty quite ( traffic noise in the morning) and they use black out curtains so I was still asleep at 11am which was amazing. Showers had plenty of hot water, and the towels while a little worn worked great even soaked up the water on the floor from not closing the curtain all the way. I read the one review stating the towels ripped after the first use, thats a bunch of bull pucky! I'm a big man and they held up to me just fine, they're probably one of those " I want everything perfect but I don't want to pay for it" kind of families.

The man at the front desk was nice, I had called him and informed him I would be arriving late he said not to worry that he would be there till very early in the morning to help me check-in....and he was sitting at the desk at 3 in the morning when I finally got to the hotel.

Room Tip: Food Tip: Never eat at the mexican place down on the corner called Oscar's. The food tasted ok b...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank HammerSD
Allow me to thank you for your kind words about our hotel they are greatly appreciated. We apologize for the street noise. We at Super 8 La Mesa strive to make every stay for every guets as memorable as possible, and we are very pleased that your experience was pleasurable. We look forward to your next visit to San Diego.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The price is great and it is clean. Convenient location, great tv, and free parking and budget breakfast.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Super8SanDiego, Front Office Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Lady Stephana, first allow me to sincerely thank you for choosing Super 8 La Mesa for your travel needs. We are glade that you are finding everything accommodating. We are also in the process of upgrading our Continental Breakfast to include waffles and or pancakes, chocolate milk and other breakfast delights.
Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Planned a last minute visit to SD at the end of Comic-Con. With few reasonable rooms available downtown, I chose to stay further out. I was very pleased with the hotel room. Bed was comfortable, lots of room in fridge for stocking drinks and snacks, with a grocery store just down the street. Downside was having to do more driving, but highway access is easy. Front desk staff was very helpful with driving directions.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Snurful
I am thrilled that we were able to exceed the expectations of a valued guest. I am humbled by the fact that we are your first review. I have to give full credit to our team memebers who genuinely care about every guest who stays at our facility. I will share you kind words with my team to ensure their efforts are not going unnoticed by our valued guests and to serve as motivation to exceed the expectations of every guest, every time. Once again, we are very greatful you took the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community and we look forward to seeing you again!
Sacramento, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Great place - see all the other reviews as they are absolutely correct. Comfy bed, safe feeling in parking lot and neighborhood, clean, beautiful rooms, very helpful and friendly staff. If there was traffic noise we didn't notice because we kept the fan on overnight and it completely drowned out any street noise.

Amenities: Microfridge/microwave in room. Hair dryer and coffee maker with coffee, free wifi (great signal), some covered parking, pillowtop beds, desk, lg flat screen tv. In the bathroom great little high class soaps and shampoos. Feels very fancy ;-)

I'm a budget traveler - I feel that if you pay more than $35 a night for a stopover you are paying too much. Now, I realize this is becoming more unreasonable as we get farther from the 1990's ;-) However, I still try to keep my hotel bills under $50 a night or feel i better be getting something good for it. I have started to realize that in some big cities and some neighborhoods if you go under $80-90 a night you run the risk of having neighbors who also spend time in the local jail on their off-nights. That said, after reading reviews for another hotel (motel) in this area with comparable rates, I was nervous about staying in this area if a place that had $60 rates. I was pleasantly surprised by this property and the staff. Clean, spacious and safe feeling. Newly remodeled so you feel you are in a 3 or 4 star hotel. This is my first review but I felt so appreciative that there are business owners who seem to understand how to do business that I had to speak up and add my praise to what is already the #1 hotel in this area. Stay here. You won't regret it.

PS Yes, the review about the towels (the only negative review -and read the manager's response - I thought he answered their concerns fully) is correct only in that the towels are thin and seem worn (not dirty - just worn). However, they are perfectly satisfactory, clean and absorb a lot of water. If this is one of the concessions the owners make to save money on rates, it is well worth it! They are typical motel towels - nothing unusual.

Room Tip: Small property in a 'U' shape facing the road so it really doesn't matter where your ro...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Days Inn & Suites San Diego SDSU
Rodeway Inn San Diego Near Qualcomm Stadium
Howard Johnson Inn San Diego State University Area

Been to Motel 6 La Mesa CA? Share your experiences!