“Nicer rooms than other Holiday Inns”

Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed 1 night for a business trip & although I wasn't really impressed with the outer appearance of the property, I was pleasantly surprised by a few things.

1) very enthusiastic greeting by Manager Greg, immediately upon approaching front desk even though he looked like he was busy training someone.

2) room was one of the nicer ones compared to other Holiday Inns I've stayed at. Visited 2 others in the SD area in Mission Valley & also Downtown. It was clean & a little more modern than others

3) asked to change rooms due to noise in hallway area (was right next to vending machine & door to outside) & service provided by Josh was fantastic. Josh was very friendly & professional & although he did disclose there may be a possibility a room change may not be available (it was after 6 & housekeeping was gone for the day, plus they were potentially sold out) it was the way it was communicated that made the difference. He always had a smile & didn't act like this was an inconvenience as I have seen many others at other hotels convey. Most of the time how you communicate something is just as important as what you communicate. I got a room change because I hadn't really settled into my room yet & pretty much left it untouched.

4) found location is actually conveniently located to many places to eat & next to the 8 fwy. There are casual places like Chilis, Chipotle, Pick up Sticks, McDs and a breakfast restaurant across the street and El Torito & a Himalayan restaurant within .5 mile.

The hotel is a little further out from the main tourist attractions like the zoo & Sea World but about 5 minutes farther inland from the Mission Valley area & at least 50.00 less than many chain hotels in that area. May be worth the little extra drive for longer stays, if you have a car, & don't mind a little extra drive to save some money.

I would highly recommend this location for the service & value.

Tip: request a high floor room facing the rear parking lot if you are a light sleeper (the old school AC units actually provided white noise for a more restful nights sleep).

Room Tip: For a quieter room, request higher floor facing the back parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review as well as your kind words for me and my staff. It was a pleasure to have you as one of our guests.

I look forward in welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn La Mesa on your next trip to San Diego.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa

Reviewed 21 May 2014

They were redoing the car park while I was there so it required hanging out at the hotel until they would let you move or parking somewhere else which was inconvinient. Hotel room was clean although I was unable to get a king bed as requested. Its pretty much a bed in a room that's safe enough to leave your stuff in. If you want more go find a four star place

Room Tip: you want something near the back lift if you have a car
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan B
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. I do apologize for any inconvenience the re-slurry of our parking lot may have caused during your stay. We made sure that we picked the two slowest days of the month to avoid too much inconvenience and attempted to make sure all guests were aware what time their cars were needed to be moved by in order to make this slight renovation as easy as possible. You will be happy to know that we will not need to do this procedure for another two years now.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

My experience staying at the Holiday Inn was great! I'm usually not very impressed with Holiday Inns but this one was definitely an exception to the rule. The entire staff from the front desk to bartender at the restaurant inside the lobby was awesome. Not to mention the food was pretty tasty, too. The staff was very polite and always just seemed to be in a great mood. It's a nice to feel like there's no place that the staff would rather be than here to cater to you and because of that my stay here felt a little more like being at home. While all the amenities aren't new and top of the line, I would still definitely recommend staying here for the quality of service that was provided by all hotel personnel during my trip. This was a nice, affordable, and relaxing stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris T

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! I will be sure to pass along all of your kind words to the staff. I look forward in welcoming you back on your next trip to San Diego!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn in years and was pleasantly surprised how nice this property was! They are still doing some renovations but nothing to get me bent over. I found a killer deal on Hotwire but I would even book this place again if I couldn't find a deal on it! My room is toward the back of the building so road noise was not an issue and was VERY clean! Getting on and off the freeway is a breeze.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sid k
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review! You will be happy to know that we are finishing up our minor renovations this week so we will be ready for summer.

Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

Genuine hospitality! We stayed for 2 nights. The staff was very friendly! Even though we didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, the staff went out of their way to give us information where to find the best local restaurants. The room was clean and all amenities were in tact... which I was a little surprised. With such a cheap price I was expecting some outdated features but I was proven wrong! Would definitely stay here again!!!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Tanya V

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your 5 star review! The next time you visit, hopefully we can get you to try our Mesa Grill restaurant located right inside of the hotel.

See you then!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We have been here numerous times when visiting my daughter at SDSU but unfortunately this is probably our last visit. I don't typically write reviews but after all of our experiences here I figured it was time to finally write one.

As you can imagine with the amount of students that go to SDSU, the entire area was completely swamped with other parents visiting for graduation... needless to say, this hotel was completely booked. With that being said, my wife and I arrived late on a Thursday night after driving all day. We walked in and were immediately greeted by the front desk manager with a friendly smile. Even late on a Thursday, they were still friendly and welcoming and our check in process was smooth and quick, exactly what we needed after driving all day.

We got up to the room on the second floor and walked in to put our stuff down... the room was immaculate, which we expected based off our previous visits. Once settled, we needed to grab a quick bite to eat and a drink to relax so we called down and was recommended a couple of new places in the area that we hadn't tried before.

My daughter came back with us Friday night after dinner and was even congratulated by the front desk.. so nice!

We extended checkout by an hour on Sunday so we could sleep in for the drive which they said was no problem at all.

All in all, Holiday Inn La Mesa is a great place to stay for the weekend. Room service was great throughout the weekend, the staff is friendly, the place is very clean, beds are comfy, what else can you ask for? My wife and I recommend it to any of our friends. Sad to say though that this will be our last visit to the area!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review and congratulations on your daughter's graduation. I am so sad to see that you will not be coming back to San Diego now that your daughter has graduated. If you do decide to come back down, please know you'll always have a home at the Holiday Inn La Mesa.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

After a long drive from LA, being tired and grumpy, we arrived at the hotel. The person who greeted us and checked us in had a such a big smile on her face. She knew we had a long day and she made the process fast, but yet she managed to make us smile.

A genuine smile does make the difference! Thank you

I had interactions with the housekeepers, front desk , night audit , and security... One was nicer than the other.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg W, Manager at Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review! I will pass on your kind words to the staff and make sure each one of them is recognized.

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Mesa
Lodge Of La Mesa
#5 of 8 in La Mesa
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
SpringHill Suites San Diego Mission Valley
Mission Valley / Hotel Circle
San Diego Marriott Mission Valley

Been to Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa? Share your experiences!