Stayed 1 night for a business trip & although I wasn't really impressed with the outer appearance of the property, I was pleasantly surprised by a few things.
1) very enthusiastic greeting by Manager Greg, immediately upon approaching front desk even though he looked like he was busy training someone.
2) room was one of the nicer ones compared to other Holiday Inns I've stayed at. Visited 2 others in the SD area in Mission Valley & also Downtown. It was clean & a little more modern than others
3) asked to change rooms due to noise in hallway area (was right next to vending machine & door to outside) & service provided by Josh was fantastic. Josh was very friendly & professional & although he did disclose there may be a possibility a room change may not be available (it was after 6 & housekeeping was gone for the day, plus they were potentially sold out) it was the way it was communicated that made the difference. He always had a smile & didn't act like this was an inconvenience as I have seen many others at other hotels convey. Most of the time how you communicate something is just as important as what you communicate. I got a room change because I hadn't really settled into my room yet & pretty much left it untouched.
4) found location is actually conveniently located to many places to eat & next to the 8 fwy. There are casual places like Chilis, Chipotle, Pick up Sticks, McDs and a breakfast restaurant across the street and El Torito & a Himalayan restaurant within .5 mile.
The hotel is a little further out from the main tourist attractions like the zoo & Sea World but about 5 minutes farther inland from the Mission Valley area & at least 50.00 less than many chain hotels in that area. May be worth the little extra drive for longer stays, if you have a car, & don't mind a little extra drive to save some money.
I would highly recommend this location for the service & value.
Tip: request a high floor room facing the rear parking lot if you are a light sleeper (the old school AC units actually provided white noise for a more restful nights sleep).
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn San Diego - La Mesa Hotel La Mesa
- La Mesa Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn La Mesa