“Noisy”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in La Mesa
Boston, Massachusetts
“Noisy”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stayed here for one night. Had a room facing the freeway, and it was loud traffic noise all night. It's a convenient location due to the freeway access, friendly staff, decent room with coffee maker, fridge, adequate bathroom. Did not have breakfast because we got there too late, but our traveling companions said it wad good. Other than the traffic noise I would recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego, responded to this review, 6 June 2012
Dear jd068,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry your stay was disturbed by the ambient noise surrounding the hotel. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I choose this hotel when traveling to San Diego to visit family due to a death. Seems a bit tired, a little maintance is needed. Staff was friendly and efficient. Probably wouldn't come back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Chad M,

Thank you for your review and for your stay. I am sorry that we fell below your expectations. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
D.C.
Reviewed 26 February 2012

I was there for several days and it's location is great for getting around San Diego. Easy freeway access. Rooms are clean and reasonably spacious. Staff was helpful. The computer in the lobby was great for checking emails and making plane reservations. Complimentary breakfast was good, although wish they had more items for those watching their weight, i.e. hard boiled eggs, and unsweetened ice tea. I like cold beverages in the morning and orange juice/ lemonade/ apple juice all have sugar.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are probably about the same. It is close to the highway so there is road nois...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Fredericton
Reviewed 2 January 2012

The hotel is old with single glazed windows that open all the way with no screens. I could have jumped out of my 3rd floor window had I felt so inclined.

Despite being at the back of the hotel we had a lot of freeway noise in the night and several fire alarms had us out of bed after 2 am.

Service by staff was passable, however someone did respond to my fire alarm complaint on twitter so that says something.

If you want a great HIX in San Deigo go with the Downtown/Old Town one.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank zedsmummy
southern california
Reviewed 31 October 2011

The hotel is fairly nice. Room seemed clean, loved having firm + soft pillows on the bed. The breakfast was fine (scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits & gravey, toast, bagels, fresh cinnamon rolls. There were also some pancakes.
The windows were not sound proof enough. Heard cars on freeway all night.
There is a great Anthony's seafood restaurant just across the parking lot.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank carlysgran
San Diego, California
Reviewed 8 October 2011

The quality of this hotel is well below average. For the price I paid I expected a hotel slightly above average but this Holiday Inn seemed closer to motel standards. I'm used to high quality hotels, so maybe I'm just being biased, but this place looked like a dump in many ways. The TV didn't have movie-purchase ability, it was just a regular TV so that was my first hint that something wasn't quite on the mark. Overall, I guess this hotel would've been okay if it had cost half as much. But for that price... It was a rip off.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bec h
happyteam11, Manager at Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego, responded to this review, 14 October 2011
It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. Unfortunately, we do not have movie purchasing ability, however it is something we are looking into. Typically Express hotels do not have the movie purchasing feature, however full service Holiday Inns do. We hope to be able to provide this option in the near future.
Once again, we appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us. We look forward to accommodating your future travel needs.

Tanaja Potts
AGM
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stayed at the HI Express - La Mesa for four nights while I was on a business trip. Maybe I was the last person to check-in for the single queen-sized bedroom. Regardless, I got the WORST room, which overlooked I-8. The hotel might as well be sitting in the middle of highway because the traffic buzzing by was incredibly loud. They really should invest in sound-proof windows. Anyway, the second I walked into my room, the loud noises were apparent. I called the front desk to see if I could switch right away. "I didn't touch anything, I promise!" I pleaded. She said everything was booked but she'd make a note of it and get me into another room as soon as possible. She gave me a sound machine, so my sleepless night was filled with sounds of ocean waves, then drizzling rain, and gear-changing trucks. The next day, I asked for another room, but once again everything was booked and the front desk lady said she'd make a note of it. I bought ear plugs at the nearby Walmart - that helped a little bit. Then, finally, the morning of my third day I was able to switch to a fourth floor room toward the back of the hotel. The front desk held my bags the whole day while I was on assignment and placed them in my new room for me - that was a nice touch. The paint might have been peeling a little bit but - thank goodness - I could sleep soundly! Once I switched rooms, everything else was great. Maria was very helpful in making my room switch happen.
The breakfast was yummy (warm cinnamon rolls and pancakes), the rooms were a little musty, and it's definitely not worth the price they charge. The hotel is owned and operated by Happy Team, Inc. Not sure if that's why it's not the new and clean HI Express that I'm used to, but their staff sure are happy...and some of them are even helpful!
Good luck if you book a room here. It's like a lottery system, and if they say your room number is 204, don't take the keys and run far, far away! You're better off sleeping under a highway bridge - at least that's free!

Room Tip: Check-in early and request a room that doesn't face the highway
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Best Western Continental Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
Best Western Courtesy Inn
#3 of 15 in El Cajon

Been to Best Western Plus La Mesa San Diego? Share your experiences!