“Not sure about this”

Ranked #141 of 206 Restaurants in La Mesa
Philomath, Oregon
“Not sure about this”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I ordered the filet mignon, garlic mashed and a start of the seafood bisque. I am not sure about how any of this is going to sit in my stomach. The seafood bisque was lukewarm, not hot at all. I ate it because I was very hungry. I hope I don't regret it later. The filet was ok. It was cooked as I ordered and it was tender. Luckily it was the only hot thing that was served. My veggies and mashed were not hot. Overall, not impressed. I really wanted to be since I haven't had steak in quite awhile. If I lived here, I probably would not visit again. It's next door to the hotel and the restaurant on the other side looked weird.

• Visited December 2013

California
“Great prime rib”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

This was our first trip to the Charcoal House. It has a homey pub feel with red leather booths and soft lighting. We got a great waitress named Mary Jane who was warm and friendly and made us feel welcome. We both decided to have the prime rib special. What a bargain. We each had a one pound slab of juicy prime rib with warm rolls and a great house salad and fresh vegetables. It was a great deal. My prime rib was cooked perfectly as were the vegetables. I heard the waitress saying they had Creme Brule and Cherry Cobbler. Next time for sure. i I really enjoyed my dinner and will be back again. They also have a $16.99 steak special on Saturday nights.

• Visited August 2013
San Diego
“Old Fashioned Steak House”
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Not the fanciest, not the newest, but dependable GOOD food. The Prime Rib is excellent, and the Petite cut is large enough for anyone. Great, friendly service, and usually some outstanding dinner specials. Give them a Try.

• Visited June 2013
San Diego, California
“Great Waiter Service But Food is Mediocre”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This is near our neck of the woods and I would normally not go here for a family meal as the structure itself seems kind of unfriendly. (Almost comes off like a biker bar because there are no windows. There was a recent groupon deal so I bought it figuring why not take a chance on a local restaurant and see how it is ? Surprisingly, there is alot of seating within and there is even a kids menu.

We had a wonderful waiter that attended to us regularly but I would have to say that the food is mediocre at best. The couple next to us had steak options and I heard the gentleman tell the waitress his steak was almost all grizzle. I ordered a fish sandwich and my husband got a pastrami sandwich. Kids got the hamburger and grilled cheese. Everything was just "eh". I got a good deal $ wise but would my experience lead me into coming here again ? Maybe to hang out at the bar. The bar scene looked pretty happening for the La Mesa scene.

• Visited April 2013
Santee, California
“Great Food!”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

This place is alittle old fashion but the up side it still has some old fashion food...which is really, really good!
Great steaks...and great sauces to accomany them.
A little Pricey!!
Lots of promo nights so need to call ahead to see what is going on before arriving!

Visited August 2012