“Bland, bland, bland!”

Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Valley View
Description: Welcome to North Woods Inn of San Gabriel, La Mirada and Covina! Come for juicy steaks, fresh seafood, enormous salads and our signature cheese bread. Whether you are in the mood for a quiet dinner for two, want to bring the office for lunch, or celebrate your next family milestone, our restaurant is the place for memorable meals. The warm woodsy atmosphere is very unique and features stained glass, oil paintings, & period lamps. We are just minutes away with locations in L.A. and Orange County. Enjoy abundant lunches and dinners at all 3 locations.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

This restaurant got some good reviews on Google (found it on my Android app), so I figured that I'd give it a shot. Their menu includes mostly beef and seafood items, and each is served with ungodly portions of side dishes -- two salads (green with blue cheese dressing and red cabbage with a warm dressing), rice pilaf, baked potato, and cheese bread. If you don't want that much food, you can order a smaller portion, that includes small green salad, small portion of red cabbage, rice pilaf, and cheese bread, which is what I did. I ordered the broiled Mahi Mahi, and I further arranged with my server to give me a larger green salad instead of the rice pilaf (no choice of dressing, blue cheese is what you get, or at least I wasn't offered a choice).

First the green salad -- iceberg lettuce with blue cheese dressing. Are you kidding me! Seriously, lettuce alone does not a salad make. Even a single crouton would have been a vast improvement. Whoever is in charge of the kitchen ought to be sent to the nearest High School Home Econ class! Ever heard of red onion, peppers, radish, or a bit of shredded carrot? Furthermore, even the dressing barely tasted anywhere in the neighborhood of blue cheese.

I must admit that the warm red cabbage salad served on the plate had some flavor, but was way too oily. The fish was seasoned well, but slightly overcooked. And lastly, the cheese bread was a joke! Since many of the glowing recommendations mentioned the cheese bread, I thought that this might be worth something. Hey folks, if you want to make it at home, buy yourselves a loaf of Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Bread, slather with butter, sprinkle Kraft Parmesan on top, stick it under the broiler until brown and bubbly, and you're there.

Note to the cook (there's no way a trained chef has entered this kitchen): seasoning (there's this stuff called salt and pepper; it works nicely with most food) and variety on a plate go miles towards any decent meal. For God's sake, you're in the LA Basin! There's definitely good bread and produce to be found! Use it!

Judging from the menu and the clientele (I felt slim at my 5' 11" and 205 lbs), most folks go there for the portions. Eat up America! Let's not lose our place at the top of the obesity rankings!

1  Thank George P

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Food is very expensive here, but we always look at it like we are getting two meals considering all the left overs. Meals include two different types of salads and the absolute best parmesan garlic bread ever. I've had the lumberjack steak the last two times we've been there and they have been average considering the price. The filet was good and worth the price. My wife loves their scallops. Finally, you get a huge baked potato with fantastic cheese butter. We always have enough left over for a light meal later. The setting is in a log cabin and they give you peanuts and you can throw the shells on the floor.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stopped in just to have an appetizer and drink as we were staying in a hotel across the road. They had a male piano playing/singing person here when we went and he was awesome. You eat peanuts here and throw your shells on the floor. The appetizer was good and the drinks were okay.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The atmosphere is that of a mountain lodge and is priceless in the middle of the LA basin. The seafood and steak that we had were wonderful. The food here is not cheap, but neither is the quality. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. We would highly recommend this restaurant for a pleasant evening with a very special atmosphere that is difficult to find in the LA area.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I have been going to this location since 1988. My husband and i would share a steak (good size...charge for sharing :<(...)Their salads are unique. One is just lettuce w/blue cheese dressing which the waiter mixes at your table. The other is red cabbage in like a vinegar dressing. This may sound grosd but we mix them together so yummy. They also have cheese bread hot out of the oven this is to die for. Also you can get your potato with chesse sauce also heavenly. It is a little bit on the pricey side but well worth it. It looks like a huge beautiful log cabin mansion inside.