“Needs some improvements”

Lake Cahuilla Recreation Area
Ranked #4 of 16 things to do in La Quinta
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We have been camping here every year for the last 5 years. Some issues I have are with the park itself, and a few for the area.
1. Our grey water fills much faster than our black, and that is with conserving. Without sewer hookups it is stupid to cart grey water every few days to the dump station. There is evidence that next to every water spout is a grey waste dump, but they have all become completely filled with dirt and rendered useless. If the park does not want to add sewer hook-ups, dig out the holes already there and/or at least allow people a better option to dump grey water. Yes, they offer showers, which would make less grey water for us, but it cost money (.75?) for 3 minutes. Ummmm, no. I am paying to stay here, I am not going to pay for a shower.
2. The sites have become nothing but 3 inches of fluffy dirt that fills shoes and flip-flops. I can't even imagine the muddy mess this would be if it ever rains.
3. Speaking of rain, California is in a drought, and this park is watering a center "grassy" area 3 times per day. plus other non-essential "grassy" areas as well, while only offering a dirt/rock area along the road as a dog walk. Most grass areas are off limits to dogs. Why not make the center area sand so people can set up volleyball or horseshoes, or some other activity, and save a ton of water? Dogs cannot go there anyway, and it is useless as is. While doing that, they could fence off a 3 foot area surrounding the center area and use that as a dog walk. People here are really very good about picking up after their pets.

As for the surrounding area: The nearby gun range is busy most days, and it used to be only a couple of days per week. In the two weeks we were here, we had two days of quiet. This is not the parks fault, but the county's. You can't even imagine the annoyance of near-constant "popping/booming" of hours of gunfire.

The access road leading to the camp has deteriorated horribly since we first came here. Time for the county to redo the asphalt.

We still enjoy this park, even with its faults, and it still is an affordable option near Palm Springs, but there will come a time when we will try to find some other place if this park continues on its downward trend.

5  Thank Sophia170
"desert"
in 8 reviews
"shoes"

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

A lake in the middle of a dessert next to a golf course. Hike around the lake or back in the valley. Gets extremely hot in the summer bring lots of water.

1  Thank matman5
Reviewed 18 February 2013

I can not imagine camping in this location in the heat of the summer. Very few trees, picnic
tables. It is unfortunate this park has not been maintained and cared for. Lost opportunity
in beautiful surroundings.

1  Thank seven7up
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This man made lake and camp ground are very quiet and out of the way. We visited in Jan 2013 and drove around the lake.
Many are fishing in the stocked lake (trout). Kids under the age of 12 don't need a fishing licence if they're with an adult who has a valid one.

This would not be my type of camping as it seems barren to me. There are many motor homes and even tents all set up but not a lot of trees or shelter.

The lake is obviously man made as it sits in the middle of the desert. The mountains are bordering the lake and there are hiking trails visible from the driveway. Would be very handy to hike and explore.

The mountains serve as some shade or relief from the hot sun in the summer but in Jan it just seems grey and boring.

We did pick up a brochure and the prices are very reasonable.

So please be aware, I toured the Rec Area but I didn't stay overnight...that may offer a different experience.

Good luck.