“What a meal!”

Morgan's in the Desert
Reserve with OpenTable
Morgan's in the Desert is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 120 Restaurants in La Quinta
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Morgan’s in the desert, by James Beard Award winning Chef Jimmy Schmidt, welcomes guests for dinner with Contemporary American Cuisine, boutique new world wines, crafted vintage cocktails, and live entertainment. Join us at the piano bar, in the hacienda dining room or on the fire-lit courtyard. Join us for a relaxed yet refined dining or cocktail experience.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have been to the Desert 6 or 7 times for week long trips with my wife and friends. We go out each night. Have never been to Morgan's before and I am not sure why. It is easily one of the best five restaurants in the entire area.

1  Thank BradBRcckville

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great wine list. Went for the artichoke apps and wine, but were told that the apps were out of season. Really bummed! Great service!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My husband and I came in to enjoy an anniversary dinner. The restaurant was beautiful. Our server was really friendly. We ordered drinks, and I was still in awe of the ambience as it was very vintage 1920's. Then I noticed a moth on the wall behind my husbands head. No big deal, but as it got my attention I also noticed something brown and lumpy on the wood trim of the booth. I flicked it and it ran along the edge of our booth by my husbands arm. A cockroach! The busser came over and said "what is that?", my husband said "a cockroach you need to kill it!" Then the busser said "what is that?!" pointing to the moth. (The moth was never removed and I kept staring at it throughout our meal.) He clearly was grossed out too and a little nervous to touch it. We were a little stunned as this is a very nice restaurant. The head waiter came over and said they were going to comp our entire meal. Also something about the date palm trees being the cause of this. Really not okay. We were not offered a new place to sit in the restaurant. Still shocked and feeling a little weird, the waiter came over and thanked us for not creating a scene. Mind you we were still in shock. He mentioned that most people would scream and jump around. He said that we will not talk about it from this moment on as to not disturb the other guests. I found that a little odd as if we were being bribed to not speak about this. More drinks were offered and the sommelier was pairing wine with my dish. Then another man came by in a turtleneck and jacket offering a tour of the kitchen and another apology. Nice but at this point we felt like we were on display and the whole staff was talking about us. Ate our dinner, and our anniversary dessert. Upon finishing my wine, I noticed that there was an extreme amount of sediment in my glass. Gross again. Our waiter said it was a good thing. Not so much. Maybe any other night, but not at this point.
Loved the outside grounds, and the live music. But will only remember our anniversary dinner only as our first fine dining cockroach experience.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good solid food offerings served in a romantic setting. Typical California cuisine offerings prepared well. Service is attentive and professional, drinks are mixed well.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Morgan's in the Desert is the signature restaurant of the historic La Quinta Resort. The dining room is gorgeous - understated elegance with many private nooks and crannies where one can enjoy a relaxing dinner. The menu is not extensive but has just enough choices to satisfy most tastes with a heavy emphasis on fish & seafood and meat (there are two pasta choices). I particularly enjoyed the grilled Baha shrimp appetizer and the black cod was perfectly cooked and nicely flavored. The wine list is decent though a little on the pricey side and it's worth saving room for dessert (go for the Buttered Popcorn Ice Cram Parfait).

If it's not too hot enjoy an after dinner drink at the outdoor terrace by the resort main building - a perfect way to end your meal.