“Liars”

Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles
“Liars”
Reviewed 18 July 2008

This hotel purposely overbooks, then lies to guests about cancelling rooms upon arrival. The lie takes this form:

guest: Hi, I have a room reserved.
hotel employee: You called and cancelled it last night.
guest: No I didn't. Why would I do that then show up for my room?
hotel employee: I'm sorry. Someone cancelled your room.
guest: Who? Can I get another room?
Hotel employee: I don't know who cancelled. It wasn't my shift. We are totally booked. There are no more rooms.

It happened to myself and others with reservations. This is a common unethical behavior among less reputable hotels. It's dishonest, but assures the hotel is fully booked every weekend. It's sad because it seemed like a good location :(

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The fact that they cancelled my reservation and I never stayed there.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20 Thank TravellingPerson12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Rooms are hideous... Employees are less than helpful, and upon check-in I watched them deny 5 people that had confirmed reservations telling them that they should look somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The service and overall experience
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jeloo

Travellers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I've been going to The Hotel since I was a little girl and love it so much I'm planning my wedding there next month. It is a small, intimate hotel, lovely and romantic. While I admit the food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced (it's Laguna), the staff are helpful and pleasant when they are treated with respect. The Village Rooms are noisy, avoid them if you can. My advice is to do your research well before deciding where to stay in Laguna and know what you want. The beach club is wonderful, one of the main reasons we stay there is so we don't have to worry about lugging around towels, coolers and chairs. It's Laguna, it's beautiful, and if you are looking for some ambiance and romance, I highly recommend you stay at the Hotel. It has never let me down.

• Liked — The beach, the ambiance
  • Disliked — Ovepriced food and drinks
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Laguna for a wedding on the beach. It was absolutely breathtaking! I highly recommend this place for anyone considering a beach wedding. Apparently, it is one of the most affordable beachfront properties available for weddings in southern California. The wedding reception was in the Laguna room and the views were lovely. Our original hotel room was double booked, so they had to put us in the Bogart suite. From what I understand, Humphrey Bogart actually stayed in that room a long time ago. Anyway, the room was cramped. I actually don't understand why it was called a "suite" except for the fact that it had a very large walk-in closet. I would say that the room was average but the hotel was fantastic. It is in a PRIME location, right next to many cute little beachfront shops. There is a playground and public beach area next door.

Stayed April 2008
CA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

My best friend and I stayed at the Hotel Laguna for a "girls weekend," the big draw of this hotel was the "private beach." When we arrived, the lobby was lovely, but it smelled like a gas station bathroom that had just been cleaned, and the smell lasted for our entire visit. The elevator up to our room was a little scary (we chose to take the stairs for the remainder of the visit). When we saw the hallway to our room we both said, "Oh my gosh, it's like the hotel in The Shining!" and when we walked into our room all we could do was laugh...it was bare, and not worth the price we paid. The bathroom was also TERRIBLE, I felt like I had to put my shoes on every time I went in. We didn't let anything get us down because we had a nice view of the beach and downtown and we were looking forward to lounging on the private beach. When we arrived on the private beach the next day we got an even bigger laugh...it is literally 12 feet wide and about 24 feet long, and you have to climb over a rope and take a small walk to get to the water. It was nice to have everything set up for you though (chairs and an umbrella), and the cocktails and delicious lunch really make the whole hotel experience easier to swallow. Be prepared to PAY for the lunch and cocktails...2 sandwiches and 2 drinks cost $64- WOW!!
Important information about the Hotel Laguna:
- Make sure that you give yourself enough time to cancel your reservation (they make you cancel 72 hours in advance...I got stuck)
- The continental breakfast is very sparse...only muffins, juice, and coffee
- If you really want to stay here mention LagunaBeach.com, I got a $30 discount, so paying a little less made the stay slightly less painful

*I would not stay here again, then again, it looks as if it may collapse any day, so it may not be around for a return visit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Accommodations
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
4 Thank coopsprincess
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 31 May 2008

Don't do it! There's NO air conditioning. Can you believe that? Southern California, and no air conditioning! We waited about 15 minutes to be served at check-in. The lobby staff were very dismissive and took their sweet time getting to us. Once checked in, we went up to our room. Our room was VERY tiny. It fit the bed, and two end tables. There was a corner cabinet with the TV, but there was only enough room to squeeze by to get to the right side of the bed. Extremely uncomfortable bed that was extremely old. Since there was no air conditioning, I flicked the switch to turn the ceiling fan on to try and get some air moving. The ceiling fan was loose, and shook and rattled all over the place. So much for that! So, I contact the staff and ask for them to bring a table fan up. Thankfully, they had one available to us. There wasn't a single chair in the room.

Honestly, this hotel was old and very unaccommodating to their guests. What good is being on the beach if you don't have a comfortable room to come back to after a long day in the sun? I don't expect a lot, but a decently comfortable bed and air conditioning is a must. This hotel had neither. I'll never, NEVER stay there again.

• Liked — It was on the beach
  • Disliked — TERRIBLY uncomfortably hot and EXTREMELY uncomfortable rooms.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Carrieberryca
laguna, ca
Reviewed 11 May 2008

Hotel Laguna patrons actually suffer because of the great beach location of the property. Because the Hotel management are all too aware that people are lined up to get in, they know they don't have to try as hard. If one person doesn't like the amenities, someone else will quickly take their place. This "taking things for granted" attitude was evident at a recent wedding I attended there.

If you're not aware, parking in Laguna can be horrific. The Hotel, which has limited parking, had promised a parking spot to one of the wedding entertainers to facilitate loading and unloading his equipment. The entertainer even had it written into his contact with his clients who confirmed it with hotel management.

On the day of the wedding, the promised parking spot was nowhere to be found. The wedding couple, who were about to take their vows, felt terrible and the entertainer had to leave his vehicle obstructing traffic while he unloaded and performed for the ceremony. The Hotel Laguna catering manager was unapologetic, even calling the entertainer a "crybaby" in front of several members of the wedding party and the Bride's father.

The reception, which started at around 7:15, took place in the Laguna Room, which boasts a waterfront view. Meal service wasn't completed until 9:30. The filet was exceptional and almost worth the long wait. Unfortunately, after such a long wait, many of the wedding guests didn't have time to stay for the cake cutting. They missed out on a tasty treat.

The Laguna Room is situated directly below Claes, the hotel's intimate dining spot. When the wedding dancing finally started, the DJ was asked repeatedly by Hotel staff to turn down the music as it was bothering the upstairs patrons. This was up to around 11:00 pm when the wedding party should have been in full swing. Keeping the music low put a damper on the celebration.

The Hotel claims the Laguna Room has a capacity of 150. At around 110, things become extremely tight and getting from one side of the room to the other becomes a bit of a challenge.

I cannot recommend Hotel Laguna for weddings. The hotel management is inhospitable if not downright rude, the reception rooms are congested and taking two hours to complete a two course meal service for a hundred people is unacceptable.

A great wedding alternative to Laguna is one of the many facilities offered in Dana Point, just a few miles south.

• Liked — Proximity to the beach and downtown
  • Disliked — congestion, density and noise
  • Stayed May 2008