“If you're going for the beach, go here.”
Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“If you're going for the beach, go here.”
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We booked our second stay here because of the beach access. That's all. We booked the ocean view. When we decided to go a day early, we could only get the partial ocean view and found out what others wrote regarding the traffic noise. When we moved to our ocean view room, nights were much better. This place has character and location, but is still pricey for the size of the room. If you want the convenience of walking a few flights of stairs to get to your room, this is nice. If you are looking to save money, this is not the place. Beach food service is significantly marked up with a 20% tip already included.
Internet access is practically non-existent and you probably have to go to the lobby to connect to their wireless (I did), even though it is detected in the room. When I did connect in the lobby, it only lasted for 30 minutes then I spent another 30 minutes trying to re-connect, with no luck!
Because of the beach location, the place does feel a little grungy (carpets). Does anyone know of another place this close to the beach with larger rooms and a/c?
To save a few bucks, go down a few blocks to the Village Mart or better still, to Whole Foods on Broadway to get your snacks and water and do not use the beach food service. You're better off taking a break from the beach and going to lunch, then coming back to your space on the hotel's "private area" of the beach. There are a lot of nearby choices for food.
I don't know if it was because of the time of the year, but the nearby area seemed more family friendly during this visit. There were more families at the beach playground.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Value, amenities, business services
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank nyee1961

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Escondido,CA
Reviewed 27 July 2008

The positives things about the Hotel Laguna:
Historical building, small private beach, located in the heart of town.
Not so positive:
No ac, so when it is July you must open the window for cool air but the noise from the street below is horrible!!! The noise lasted ALL night! In our Village room the bed was hard as a rock and small.
The continental breakfast was small; coffee, juice and muffins; that's it!
You must pay $10.00 per night for parking.
We love the idea of staying a hotel with historic significance but I did not get much sleep and $178.00 is a lot of money to spend and be exhausted the next day.
Perhaps, a more expensive oceanview/front room would have been a better way to go. Avoid the Village front rooms at all cost!!!!

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — noise
1 Thank lisak56

Travellers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Los Angeles
Reviewed 18 July 2008

This hotel purposely overbooks, then lies to guests about cancelling rooms upon arrival. The lie takes this form:

guest: Hi, I have a room reserved.
hotel employee: You called and cancelled it last night.
guest: No I didn't. Why would I do that then show up for my room?
hotel employee: I'm sorry. Someone cancelled your room.
guest: Who? Can I get another room?
Hotel employee: I don't know who cancelled. It wasn't my shift. We are totally booked. There are no more rooms.

It happened to myself and others with reservations. This is a common unethical behavior among less reputable hotels. It's dishonest, but assures the hotel is fully booked every weekend. It's sad because it seemed like a good location :(

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The fact that they cancelled my reservation and I never stayed there.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
20 Thank TravellingPerson12
Los Angeles
Reviewed 14 July 2008

Rooms are hideous... Employees are less than helpful, and upon check-in I watched them deny 5 people that had confirmed reservations telling them that they should look somewhere else.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The service and overall experience
2 Thank Jeloo
Las Vegas
Reviewed 11 July 2008

I've been going to The Hotel since I was a little girl and love it so much I'm planning my wedding there next month. It is a small, intimate hotel, lovely and romantic. While I admit the food and drinks are ridiculously overpriced (it's Laguna), the staff are helpful and pleasant when they are treated with respect. The Village Rooms are noisy, avoid them if you can. My advice is to do your research well before deciding where to stay in Laguna and know what you want. The beach club is wonderful, one of the main reasons we stay there is so we don't have to worry about lugging around towels, coolers and chairs. It's Laguna, it's beautiful, and if you are looking for some ambiance and romance, I highly recommend you stay at the Hotel. It has never let me down.

• Liked — The beach, the ambiance
  • Disliked — Ovepriced food and drinks
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at the Hotel Laguna for a wedding on the beach. It was absolutely breathtaking! I highly recommend this place for anyone considering a beach wedding. Apparently, it is one of the most affordable beachfront properties available for weddings in southern California. The wedding reception was in the Laguna room and the views were lovely. Our original hotel room was double booked, so they had to put us in the Bogart suite. From what I understand, Humphrey Bogart actually stayed in that room a long time ago. Anyway, the room was cramped. I actually don't understand why it was called a "suite" except for the fact that it had a very large walk-in closet. I would say that the room was average but the hotel was fantastic. It is in a PRIME location, right next to many cute little beachfront shops. There is a playground and public beach area next door.

Stayed April 2008
CA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

My best friend and I stayed at the Hotel Laguna for a "girls weekend," the big draw of this hotel was the "private beach." When we arrived, the lobby was lovely, but it smelled like a gas station bathroom that had just been cleaned, and the smell lasted for our entire visit. The elevator up to our room was a little scary (we chose to take the stairs for the remainder of the visit). When we saw the hallway to our room we both said, "Oh my gosh, it's like the hotel in The Shining!" and when we walked into our room all we could do was laugh...it was bare, and not worth the price we paid. The bathroom was also TERRIBLE, I felt like I had to put my shoes on every time I went in. We didn't let anything get us down because we had a nice view of the beach and downtown and we were looking forward to lounging on the private beach. When we arrived on the private beach the next day we got an even bigger laugh...it is literally 12 feet wide and about 24 feet long, and you have to climb over a rope and take a small walk to get to the water. It was nice to have everything set up for you though (chairs and an umbrella), and the cocktails and delicious lunch really make the whole hotel experience easier to swallow. Be prepared to PAY for the lunch and cocktails...2 sandwiches and 2 drinks cost $64- WOW!!
Important information about the Hotel Laguna:
- Make sure that you give yourself enough time to cancel your reservation (they make you cancel 72 hours in advance...I got stuck)
- The continental breakfast is very sparse...only muffins, juice, and coffee
- If you really want to stay here mention LagunaBeach.com, I got a $30 discount, so paying a little less made the stay slightly less painful

*I would not stay here again, then again, it looks as if it may collapse any day, so it may not be around for a return visit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Accommodations
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends