“The Bates Hotel”
Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I travel frequently, and write reviews. I do not believe I have ever stayed in a more gastly hotel. Lets' see where to begin, snarly valet was a preview. Desk clerk didn't know what floor the ice ws on or where ice buckets were. Our room was simply awful. The carpet was so filthy we had to keep our shoes on to walk. The walls and door to our room for paper thin. We were not interested in hearing others conversations, especially not in that place. We are still recovering from our sleep experience. Rather like an "I Love Lucy" episode, bed literally sank to the center. The comforter must have been army surplus and non too clean. The linens were thin and probably from the 30s, as was the meager furniture in the room. However, the real special was the closet and bathroom. The closet had some hooks and one 2 ft. bar to hang clothes. There was no luggage rack to place a suitcase. The bathroom, oh my, the tiles on the floor were filthy, the commode and sink also from the 30s (bought with the linens on sale then?) and the mirror was falling off the wall. We were going to stay two nights, but checked out as early as possible on the second day. We were out of our room, but the car was in the lot as we attended a function. They nicked us $20.00 for being an hour over, and the valet again, would win the Scrooge award of valets. Miserable experience in such a pretty little beach town.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael1952_26

Reviewed 23 March 2014

I won't repeat what is written in other reviews but will state simply that this hotel is a historical landmark. That means that it is over 100 years old and is built of wood. The last true renovations happened over 30 years ago and it is "a challenge" according to the manager, to get approval for and to pay for upgrades on a historical building like this.

That being said, you take your chances with room assignment and level of noise here. I was lucky enough to get a "garden view" room that was away from the noisy elevator and stair wells. Even so, the walls are pretty thin and during busy times like Spring Break, you will hear the partying college kids and teens running up and down the halls at night. The decor is definitely dated and despite what the manager was telling me, they could stand to upgrade simply things like sinks, tiles, doors and even old chipped paint.

The good is that the beach is right out the back door and down the stairs. There is a small private area with padded lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas. Kyle was the awesome waiter/cabana Dude who took care of everything for you. The restaurant is a step up in quality from the rooms. It isn't fine dining but the service is excellent and the price fairly reasonable considering the million dollar views and decent decor. Sit outside on the deck for dinner and you are rewarded with beautiful sunsets and the even provide portable heaters for you during chilly evenings.

You are considered downtown Laguna Beach which means that most of the art galleries, fine dining, and shopping is literally right across the street. Head a few blocks South down the PCH and you are in the "Village" area which is more trendy and has a few cool deck top bars.

Overall, this was a good stay and worth the deal I got from Expedia. Be careful in the shower as people flushing toilets in other rooms can affect the flow of the water and turn warm into hot!

I've already given the owners feedback that they need to "suck it up" and consider going through the approval process (from City of Laguna Beach & other Historic groups) to get approval and pay for a good upgrade of this hotel. It would be well worth it.

Room Tip: Pay for the "garden view" upgrade and ask politely if they have anything on 3rd floor away...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We got a great deal on our room at Hotel Laguna and now I know why it was so cheap! Horrible beds, uncomfortable mattresses and dirty linens. The room was the noisiest room I've ever stayed in starting with the street noise and finishing off with noisy guests in the adjacent room. The service at the beach club was far less than stellar, we put up our umbrellas most days and were kicked off our chairs just before sunset even with a sleeping three year old. The bathroom is in shambles and the only staff I have anything great to say about is the valet. Other than that the location is amazing if you desire to be on Main Beach in Laguna. It is within walking distance of great restaurants. If you are looking for a one or two night stay and can sleep on a board then you can't beat it! I'm just glad we didn't pay full price for this teenie tiny room...

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Hotel Laguna is supposed to be a 'historic boutique hotel'.
Historic yes but boutique definitely not.
Service/staff is really friendly and the location is excellent, its right at the beach and in the middle of the town center of Laguna Beach with many nice places to eat and drink nearby.
About the room, beds are comfortable and that is most important. Views are great depending on the room. But what a pity that the hotel feels old and dated. Rooms are worn out and the carpet might be the only thing they have refurbished within the last 20 years. The shower seriously lacks pressure and the bathroom is so small. Through the floors and walls one can hear the neighbors cell phone ringing, sneezing or baby crying. I got a special rate on a major website that made it a good deal, however the standard rates published are too high. Also the price for self-parking is outrageous; it makes sense during high season, but better park your car in the streets in off-season. I am sad to give a bad rating but the hardware is just not good enough, the smell in public areas too bad and I dont feel they are trying hard enough to keep up.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sveenz
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We loved the simplicity of this hotel located right on the sand and centrally located to town. The staff is warm and attentive, which made the stay even more wonderful. The hotel doesn't have the latest décor, but that was fine by us as most of the beachfront hotels that do are overpriced!

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on Pacific Coast Highway, because they will be noisy. All others are good rooms and...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Hi

This hotel is older but the LOCATION couldn't be better.

Room
Very old and should be updated but it was clean which is what is most important. Furniture and TV were very old school and motel like, not necessarily a charming.
The bed was great and did not have a complaint.
I left my window open and was able to hear the waves!
I thought it was fine if you just need a place to sleep.

Hotel
This was a hotel that old Hollywood used to go, so it had a certain charm. Service was ok.
You will have to pay $20 a night for parking.
I found the hotel very safe and quiet.
There is a restaurant with view on the ocean which is great with affordable price. It was great to have breakfast on the terrasse.

Beach
You are right on the beach. There is a pool boy that will help you with lounge chairs and towels.

Location
You are right in the middle of Laguna with great restaurants, bars, shops only minutes away.
I strongly recommend this Mexican restaurant called Carlitas near-by.

I was there mid-jan and paid about $120 which I thought was really fair for what I got.

I would send friends to this hotel.

Thanks!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KCho19
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel before and were a bit disappointed by the facility which was run down. We gave it a try again last week end and were impressed. The hotel was partially remodeled and the cosmetic improvements did wonders. The room (215) has an ample ocean view, the décor is acceptable and the bed is actually very comfortable. We were waken up by the surf and a beautiful sunshine. Additional improvements are necessary, especially in the bathroom and the windows may need replacement. The restaurant has a very good menu and we patronized it for both dinner and breakfast. The hotel has not received great reviews in the past, but if one keeps in mind the room rate and the service rendered, the value is noticeable. Located just in front of the park and the beach, this facility has a rich history and a pleasant reminder of times gone by. It has character and charm. I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the Pacific Coast Highway. The noise starts early.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple