“HOTEL LAGUNA IS MY NEW FAV!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Laguna

Hotel Laguna
Ranked #19 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
L.I. N.Y.
“HOTEL LAGUNA IS MY NEW FAV!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I am a travel writer. I am a New Yorker, I have been to Laguna Beach on several occasions for different occasions, work as well as pleasure. This hotel popped up on my phone as a special deal on a website that offers promotional values for travel. I took advantage of the promotion because I had a previous reservation that was not being honored at another area hotel and I was extremely distressed. I contacted Hotel Laguna directly and the person that I spoke with was understanding and honored the price that was offered as a special phone deal only. I booked the hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. The lovely manager Jannessa, was there to greet my fiancé and I upon arrival and after greeting us, we were shown to a lovely quaint and clean partial ocean view room. This historic hotel was tastefully decorated and very well kept and the linens and décor was simple and pretty. The grounds at Hotel Laguna are gorgeous. My fiancé so impressed at the delicious and reasonable menu that guests are offered and given a generous discount on, yum. I had my 21 year old daughter as a guest for two nights in my room and the roll a way bed that was provided was clean and very comfortable. The toiletries that are provided are very high end, in fact I am a esthetician as well as a travel writer and I must say their facial soap was so good that I actually contacted the company that makes it so that my daughter and I may order some more! We were booked at the Hotel Laguna for 10 days and for the first time my fiancé said he was sorry to leave after such a long visit. The beachfront location is ideal because you may valet park your car at the hotel lot upon arrival, and walk to everything in town from this hotels location. (best happy hour deal in town directly across the street.) The parking by the way was superb in the sense that it was very fast and smiles and have a nice day wishes were given often. The Hotel Laguna has a wonderful menu and great service for all types of affairs. I would not cancel them out for my own, (hon are you reading this). The only reason I am hesitant about writing this revue is that the hotel will probably be booked solid and I am dying to go back ,in fact I am planning a family reunion there as soon as we can pull it together. I recently found out that Jannessa is no longer the manager, however, I am sure the new manager George Menaldo is just as nice, and I am very much looking forward to meeting him. I can smell the beach already!

Room Tip: We had a partial view and it was perfect, I am sure the full ocean are gorgeous
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Moorpark, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

We spent two nights here celebrating my husbands 65th birthday. He has been coming to Laguna since he was very young and loves this hotel. I am a little more picky.

You can't beat the location. We parked the car when we arrived and didn't use it again until we left. We had a king room on floor 1 facing main beach. We opened both windows (no screens) and turned on the ceiling fan and the room cooled down nicely. The noise from the beach and street subsided around 10PM save for the occasional motorcycle or loud truck. The bathroom was small and dated. No counter space to speak of except a small shelf behind the door. Water temp fluxuated during shower if your neighbor turned on their water. The place seemed clean enough but the bleach smell was kind of strong.

We ate at the restaurant three times, 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts. The food was fine but a bit pricey. But not too bad. The breakfast voucher they give you when you check in gives you 25% off of your breakfast. Servers are friendly but slow. But the view makes you forget all that.

We spent both days at the Beach Club. They have lounge chairs with pads and umbrellas which are supplied at no charge. This was nice. We went down before breakfast and reserved our lounges. Enjoyed a leisurely meal not worrying about if we would get a chair or not.

What bothered me most is:
1) No refridgerator or coffee maker in room.
2) We were told by the valet we could not bring our ice chest up to our room. We thought it was a strange rule but we didn't make a stink because we didn't want to ruin our getaway. We just went back to the car that night and brought it in anyway. Saw several people who had done the same. Sorry, but I didn't want to pay $3.00 for a bottle of their water when I had brought my own. When we checked out we brazenly carried our ice chest out and nobody said anything. I wonder if the Valet was misinformed...

Room Tip: Never take a street facing room. Very noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Beaconsfield, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The first hotel in Laguna - and right on the beach. This is an historic property with all the original woodwork. Great location in the heart of Laguna Beach. Breakfast on the balcony overlooking the beach is a morning ritual. Surrounded by shops, excellent restaurants and great beach.

Room Tip: Pacific ocean and beach view is a real bonus. Street view looks to the beautiful Laguna hills.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dan V
Grapevine, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

Service is wonderful BUT the rooms are nasty, smelly and not air conditioned. The bathrooms are gross, old and dingy, no light in the shower, hairdryer on wall had nothing covering the element, almost caught my hair in it. It looked like the bathroom tile had been patched by a 4 year old. Last time I had stayed there was 20 years ago and it was shabby then, they need to remodel desperately. There are a lot of other hotels on the beach for the same amount of money that are much nicer. Next year we are going to one of them.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Andrea S

Travellers are raving about these Laguna Beach hotels

Finland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were here on honeymoon and wanted to stay at the beach. After one night we had to leave, I had not realized that there really was no air con and the beach club was really a dirty, crowded little area with very old chairs.

The place smells like urine all over. Bathroom is a joke and the windows let thru ever sound from the street. So could not sleep very well.

Their beach club is just some old chairs on a public beach and a very small deck. The beach itself is the dirtiest one I've ever seen (funny, the "same" beach around Newport and Huntington is cleaned properly).

I like historic hotels, but this is just run down. Did not test their restaurant: they told us we could'nt reserve a table (what???) and the terrasse is non-smoking. Still we saw people smoking there. Across the street there is a very nice mexican restaurant, called The Tortilla Republic, that was the only good thing about staying at Laguna Hotel.

Room Tip: I you must stay here, book oceanside.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Silakka
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I was worried because of some of the reviews but we loved this hotel! If you're an IKEA type that likes new and modern PLEASE go somewhere else (preferably far from me)! If you like quaint, historic, and beautiful old buildings then you will love this treasure! No AC was not an issue with cool ocean breezes, location is perfect, food was pricey but worth it! No pool or spa but you're at the ocean! Room was clean and roomy! Ours had a walk-in closet that came in handy for changing when the bathroom was occupied! I did not think it needed updating. The people that think that would also remodel Mount Vernon! The carpets were clean, furniture was beautiful and I loved the hallway chandeliers! The staff all over the property were very professional, helpful, and kind. Definitely returning!

Room Tip: We went as a group of four friends so we loved the room with the walk-in closet for changing. You ch...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Vicki R
Pasadena, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Historic hotels are wonderful, and I've stayed in them all over the world......this does not hit the mark. The place is dingy and run down, cheap furnishings, no air dingy , bed fixed with duct tape around thee base. The bathroom has cracked tile, toilet and dingy as all heck. My mother in law couldn't get out of the bathroom, and the phone didn't work. Location is great, but that's all it has going for it. Over $300 per night , and overpriced food and drinks, dingy dirty rooms... I've stayed at plenty of motel 6's for 1/8th of the price. Historic is one thing, poorly maintained and overpriced is just robbery! Stay elsewhere you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family