My girlfriend and I booked a two night stay (Sat-Sun) at Casa Laguna based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and the pictures/descriptions on the Casa Laguna website.
First, the good:
1. The grounds of the inn were very nice, especially the gardens.
2. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated, although not particularly luxurious.
3. The staff were (for the most part) friendly and helpful, especially when we had problems (see the "bad" section below).
4. The food, both at the wine and cheese hour and at breakfast was very good.
5. The spa treatment (we got the couple "Togetherness" massage package) was very nice.
Now, the bad:
1. This place is WAY overpriced. Yes, I know it's Laguna Beach, and it's to be somewhat expected, but when the Ritz-Carlton is up the road a few miles and we could pay a few dollars more for a much nicer room, the bottom line is the prices for the Casa Laguna are way out whack. We paid $350 + tax for the Balboa Suite which was really a fairly basic room - not very big, and calling it a "suite" is a stretch. PLUS, we had some extra unwanted guests (see #2 below).
2. Our first room (Balboa Suite) was infested with a variety of crawling bugs - some identifiable (large roaches) and some not (weird looking bugs with several legs). I might expect that at a $60 Motel 6, not at a $350 luxury B&B style inn. To their credit, when we complained, they moved us to their most expensive room, the "Cottage." That room was truly a suite and would probably have been worth the $350 that they charged us. Unfortunately, the standard price is $700 a night! We didn't have the crawling bugs in that room, just some flying gnats.
3. Since we stayed Sunday night and we booked a spa treatment, we should have received a discount as noted here - casalaguna.com/specials.htm. But when we brought it up at checkout, we were told we had to tell them about when we booked the treatment. We were not told that upon booking and to us that frankly sounded like bs. But we were in a hurry to leave (had to get back to San Diego to deal with fires) so I didn't press the issue.
Overall, Casa Laguna is a decent place to stay but certainly not worth the high cost.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover an unforgettable ocean view getaway at our historic boutique hotel in Laguna Beach, Orange County, California. Our hotel features a wide variety of beautifully appointed guest rooms with luxurious eco-friendly linens, flat-panel smart televisions and crafted mini bar selections. A variety of soothing massage services are available in our on-site spa. Always rated among the top Laguna Beach hotels, our property is just minutes from beautiful beaches, fabulous restaurants, and Laguna's famous art galleries and summer art festivals. All rooms limited to one or two persons regardless of age or relationship. Not recommended for families/children/groups. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, Agoda, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon and Hotel.de so you can book your Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Laguna Hotel Laguna Beach
- Casa Laguna Inn And Spa
- Laguna Inn
- Casa Laguna Beach