“Fabulous setting and Service”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sonoma, California
“Fabulous setting and Service”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We were two couples traveling the coast and stumbled onto Casa Laguna!! We like the ambiance of luxury hotels in a smaller setting. This fit the bill perfectly. The beautiful surroundings were only exceeded by over the top service by virtually every staff member. They were genuinely welcoming, always made eye contact, and went out of their way to see that every need was taken care of. Special thanks to Nick, Zamen, Cathy, and Chef Michelle. Around every corner was a photo op. It's on a hillside so you could imagine being at a small luxury inn in Positano. Wonderful pool area. Very delicious gourmet breakfast and wine/cheese in the evening. The only caution would be to avoid rooms directly looking over Hwy 1 because of road noise. We had interior courtyard rooms that were very quiet and beautifully appointed - large Jacuzzi tub. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
One of the best things we like about TripAdvisor reviews is when a satisfied guest singles out employees for exceptional service. Our staff works hard to assure that each guest’s stay is the best that it can be, and getting kudos for their efforts from a guest is a very special reward. We thank Peter F for taking the time to tell others how much he and his party enjoyed their time with us, and we cannot wait to spoil him again in the very near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We just returned from a wonderful 4 night stay at Casa Laguna, where we celebrated our 5 year anniversary. We stayed in a Deluxe Room with View Patio which was perfect. Jacuzzi tub big enough for two and our own patio to enjoy a bottle of champagne with an ocean view. We highly recommend the side by side Swedish Massage, which we enjoyed on our first day & helped us to relieve any tension we brought with us from home. Where the real value comes is from the amazing breakfast each morning which was enough food that we only needed a light lunch afterward. That combined with the daily wine/cheese/appetizer happy hour made the nightly rate well worth it. The heated pool and lounge chairs were great for relaxing during the day and even though I believe the hotel was fully booked during our stay, the grounds were incredibly quiet and peaceful. The staff was very friendly and helpful in answering any of our questions, whether it be about a restaurant or helping me to arrange "breakfast inn bed" (which was a great way to kick off our anniversary!). The hotel is about a mile and a half from the center of town but we thoroughly enjoyed the walk while checking out the beautiful homes in the neighborhood and the shops along the way. The free shuttle during festival season was great when we didn't feel like walking & even if it wasn't festival season I can't imagine a cab costing too much. We were thrilled with our stay and will be recommending Casa Laguna to friends & family. We look forward to returning in the future!

• Stayed August 2013
It’s clear this couple was a perfect match for Casa Laguna, from the romantic reason for their stay through a full appreciation of our location, food, services, staff, and wide-ranging amenities. We thank them for their review and we look forward to helping them celebrate many anniversaries to come.
California
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I celebrated out 21st wedding anniversary here in January. We have celebrated our anniversary throughout the west coast (and Texas) and have never stayed in the same place twice during this special weekend.

The grounds were very nice. Lots of beautiful plants and flowers. Our room was on the top and at the farthest end of the deck. We shared the deck with other guests, but since we were the farthest from stairs, it was fine. We had a nice view of the ocean. Our room was very small and clean, but the bed was exceptionally comfortable and jacuzzi tub was very nice. The fireplace was a faux fireplace. Kind of funny!

We enjoyed the evening wine and cheese. The wine wasn't awesome, but the cheese plates were very good. They also offered a variety of yummy Hors d'oeuvres as well. We took our plates and wine glasses and watched the awesome sunset from our balcony. Breakfast was the highlight for me. The location of the dining area was nice and the food was exceptional. Great menu! I enjoyed a massage too! It was very nice.

I mistakenly booked our room online. I discovered I should have called for the best price. Once I figured this out I called and asked if I could get the phone price, but I was told no because the service charge was already paid to the online company. The timing was beyond the cancellation period, so she told me she'd be sure we got a "special" treat in our room, (acting as though arrival baskets aren't the norm) It turns out we didn't get anything different from all the other guests. It was a small bottle of champagne and some other amenities. It was definitely a nice touch, but the lady made it seem like we'd get something more than the typical gift, Not really a big deal, but I think worth mentioning.

FYI: Definitely bring earplugs. I've read other reviews about the "ambient" noise. Seriously, ambient noise to me is the sound of waves crashing on the beach or a waterfall. I've never thought about the sound of loud cars driving by as ambient noise, but to each his own. We eventually got used to it, but it doesn't ease up at night. So earplugs were necessary at night for us. Also, I assume trash day is every Monday. The trash truck came early and was very loud!

Overall, we had a very nice time. Casa Laguna was relaxing and romantic. The restaurants in the area are very good and the beaches are beautiful. It's great place to visit.

Room Tip: Book your room on the phone and not through the website.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stilly09
We want to thank Stilly09 for their detailed and balanced review and we are so pleased that this couple enjoyed their stay at Casa Laguna despite a few minor caveats. We sincerely appreciate Stilly09’s mention that guests will usually get the best value by booking directly with the hotel. Casa Laguna does not discount its rooms to anyone other than our guests. However, we suggest that travelers always employ the “best practice” of doing a little online research with booking sites before you book any hotel, just to be sure. Wine preference is subjective and, thankfully, the majority of our guests love our wine selection—some even requesting to purchase wine to take home, for which, unfortunately, we are not licensed. We do not include champagne in our standard arrival baskets and we do consider it a special treat that is appreciated by a limited number of guests who receive a bottle as part of a package or as a gift from management. Regarding ambient sound: The word ambient, by definition, means “in the surrounding area,” which would include historic Pacific Coast Highway (PCH), which is the only way one can reach Southern California coastal hotels and luxury homes by automobile. We have always been honest in admitting that those who are particularly anxious about road sounds might not want to stay in any hotel that sits on PCH—which, unfortunately, would be the majority of South Coast hotels. But a sampling of our reviews—and those of other PCH-adjacent accommodations--will confirm that hundreds of coastal guests do not find it a significant problem. Yes, unfortunately Stilly09 was here on Monday, which is trash day in our neighborhood. The resulting unavoidable noise is something that Casa Laguna, along with several hundred owners of nearby multi-million-dollar homes, just has to accept. We can only apologize for what is usually a brief interruption to Casa’s typically tranquil mornings. We are so thankful that what this couple saw as some negative issues were not significant enough to keep them from thoroughly enjoying their stay at our award-winning inn.
Burbank, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My husband and I recently spent two glorious days in Laguna celebrating our 35th anniversary! The staff at Casa Laguna was wonderful and attentive, even greeting us with a split of champagne upon our arrival. The deluxe courtyard room was comfortable and quiet with a gorgeous bed and jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. The Casa is a historical property with lush and well maintained landscaping, a beautiful pool and lovely views of the ocean. There is a shuttle stop just outside their front door to take you to town. And the breakfast?? Outdoors or in, the choices are delicious and perfect. We will definitely want to stay here again, perhaps even making it our traditional summer getaway.

Room Tip: I would skip the ocean side due to noise from PCH. Interior courtyard rooms are quiet, with lovely...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so pleased this couple chose our award-winning inn for their special anniversary getaway, and we love that they are already thinking about their next stay. We cannot thank them enough for their patronage and for their kind review.
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Laguna beach is a wonderful relaxing place and Casa Laguna the best place to stay to enjoy it. I stayed a few nights on my way down to San Diego and enjoyed every second of my staying in Casa Laguna. My room was small but with an extremely confortable bed. Everything was clean and well arranged. Breakfast is one strong point, every day you can choose from a "a la carte" menu with fresh ingredients cooked in front of you. The swimming pool is a plus and very useful after a day at the beach. Staff is friendly and always ready to help. Cheese and other refreshments is available in the afternoon for guests, this is a treat! Finally, a wonderful experience, fully satisfied.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
We sincerely appreciate this lovely review from our new Parisian friend. Casa Laguna is proud to have a strong international following, and we are so pleased that paris-traveller2013 chose our inn for their Laguna Beach respite. We hope that paris-traveller2013 will have the opportunity to visit our inn again in the not-too-distant future.
Winnetka, California, United States
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Having stayed in Laguna several times before I was looking for a quiet romantic getaway for my guest and I. The Casa Laguna Inn is that and more. I was a little concerned when I first saw it because it looked really small from the outside but as soon as we entered the gates I was pleasantly surprised. The grounds are beautiful and the staff was very friendly and professional. The food was excellent and the bedding was so comfortable it was hard to get out of bed. The room was very clean and had everything we needed. Some of the rooms are on the small side so I would suggest upgrading to one of the suites as we did if you want to stretch out a little more, but that's a personal preference.The location was great because you didn't feel like you were in the middle of all the city traffic. There were great ocean views and the afternoon wine and cheese was a nice touch. Parking is limited but worked out for us. I highly recommend giving them a try. My guest was very pleased and said she would definitely stay there again so in my book that's a win win!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so pleased this couple discovered our award-wining romantic hideaway and had an enjoyable romantic retreat. We appreciate their kind and comprehensive review and recommendation, and we are so pleased to see that they are planning a return stay. We want them to know that they can always expect the same friendly helpful service, excellent food, and attention to detail, on every visit.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My husband and I just returned from a two day stay at Casa Laguna. We live local and didn't want to go far to celebrate our anniversary. After reading all of the positive reviews we decided to try a "bed and breakfast" instead of going to one of the "popular & pricey" hotels in Orange County. For the most part, we were not disappointed. The grounds were absolutely charming! The service was good. We loved the gourmet breakfast and the wine and cheese that was served in the evening. Such a nice touch! We sat by the pool for an afternoon and just loved it. We were the only ones there and it was so peaceful. We could even see the ocean from the pool! The only thing that I wasn't sold on were the rooms. We stayed in the Newport Suite. It was clean, but I just never felt completely relaxed in it. It was small, but I don't think that was it. It did sit on PCH, but the noise didn't bother us at all. It smelled like room freshener when we walked in, which wasn't refreshing at all. It had a counter top electric stove, with plates and cutlery which I thought was kind of strange. It was overly warm even though the thermostat was set at 69 degrees and it was very nice and cool outside. My advice is maybe try a different room? Otherwise, we thouroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We are so glad Gina556 enjoyed Casa Laguna’s dedicated guest-first service, award-winning food, and beautiful ocean-view patios and terraced gardens. Casa Laguna has 10 different room types, ranging from full suites to quant little “artist” rooms. Our returning guests tend to stick with a favorite, and for some that would be the Newport and Balboa “junior” suites, due primarily to the larger overall space compared to a standard room, including a sitting area, and a king bed. We are at a loss to understand why the room would have been warm with the AC set to 69 degrees. This is not something we’ve experienced, nor received previous complaints about. Every room is thoroughly cleaned and refreshed between guests, and that includes the use of an eco-friendly “odor suppressor.” Our experience has been that any related odor goes away in a matter of minutes. It is possible that the room had residual odor from some product used by the previous guest. If this was the case, we certainly dropped the boat in not identifying the odor and taking care of it. Fewer and fewer guests are using the remaining in-room kitchen facilities that are still available in only three of our suites. It is highly likely that we will be eliminating them in the not-to-distant future. We want Gina556 to know how much we appreciate her input, and we have already taken all of her comments under advisement. We are pleased that this couple enjoyed their stay, and we hope that they will have the opportunity to return.