“Heaven on earth!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seal Beach, California
“Heaven on earth!”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I enjoyed our stay for our 18th anniversary. The accommodations and staff were delightful and our room overlooked the ocean with a full patio. We enjoyed the wine and cheese social and gourmet breakfast. We plan to return!

Room Tip: Ocean view room with a patio.
5 Thank ultrajeanne
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
We can’t help bragging about being one of the top anniversary destinations in Southern California and we’re so pleased that untraljeanne and her husband chose Casa Laguna for their special day. Now that they’ve experienced the dedicated guest first service, superior food, and myriad amenities, we know that they, like so many others, will be making our inn their regular anniversary destination. We thank them for their patronage and their kind review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I have been to Casa Laguna about 5 times, it's really I place I like going to relax. I enjoyed my stay last time, the only thing I wasn't satisfied with was the options of breakfasts, however I have been in the past. I wish they can revert back to the brulee toast. The taste of the sausage patties and potatoes has definitely changed. The service is great.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Lilly982000
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
We want Lilly982000 to know how much we appreciate her patronage and long-term loyalty. We look forward to her next visit. Because we have so many return guests, we change our full menu four to six times each year to assure they have something new to try. We listen carefully to what our guests say and we watch what is left on the plates (although that’s usually not much) and make adjustments accordingly. From time to time we do bring back a dish by popular demand, such as the current Truffle Toast. Because our meat selection is a side dish, we tend to buy what our carnivorous guests ask for regularly which is usually either bacon or link sausage, the latter of which is what we currently serve. We will certainly take Lilly982000’s suggestions to heart. She’ll have all new dishes to try on her next visit, and if she’ll remind us when she makes her booking, maybe we can surprise her with some of her old favorites.
Orange, California
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This place really sets the tone for a peaceful and romantic getaway. We stayed in the ocean view room with the jetted tub, which is highly recommended. The price maybe a bit pricey but it's well worth it, giveN they have a wine and cheese hour plus a free gourmet breakfast! This place was amazing. We loved it!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Ycarrasc
We’re so glad Ycarrasc loved their romantic getaway at Casa Laguna and we hope they will have the opportunity to stay with us again very soon.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at the Casa Laguna for 3 nights as part of our Honeymoon tour of America. I researched the Casa Laguna so much before booking and I was so excited to stay there, however for me I felt slightly let down.

The grounds are lovely and the views are very nice, however I felt everything just fell a bit flat. There is a lot of road noise, this didn't bother us too much, but it may be an issue for some. Parking was fine, if you are a confident driver you won't be bothered by the pillars as the spaces are huge.

We stayed in a Courtyard Room, which although is their most basic room, is very expensive per night. The room lacked natural light and was very small. I know other reviews state how small the rooms are and this is true. I could deal with the size of the room but my biggest issue was the lack of natural light and it is impossible to open the blinds as there are people walking past both windows. I will say the bed and linen used were some of the softest I have slept in, very nice and cosy.

The bathroom was also more like a small en suite. Again it was fine, but sometimes there was a drainage smell coming from the sink. I did mention this to the staff when we were checking out so hopefully this can be resolved for future guests.

Breakfast was nice. I am not too sure why people are going crazy for how good the breakfasts are, yes there were nice, but nothing out of the ordinary either. We had no issues with breakfast times, we changed our time for all 3 mornings with no problems at all. The cheese and wine reception in the evening was a nice touch and a nice thing to do before heading into Laguna for dinner.

The pool area is fine, very small, only 8 sun loungers, so not much space for people to lie around the pool. WiFi was also terrible and never worked, we were told this was because a new router was being put in, but as a paying customer, I don't really care why, I just want something to work when it should.

We had a lovely couples massage and soak in the hot tub with sparkling wine, this was a lovely experience and a highlight of our stay. We did have an issue with payment for the treatment though. On 3 separate occasions, at reception, on the booking form and after a phone call to our room, we stated we wanted to pay cash, however it was still charged to our card and had to be refunded back to us, which caused an issue with using our card at the next hotel.

Overall it was a nice stay but for us, it didn't live up to expectations.

6 Thank abimh87
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We always hesitate to quibble with a 3-star review and we certainly respect everyone’s right to an opinion. But for the benefit of prospective guests reading this forum we do need to address some of the negatives listed that are so very untypical when compared to the majority of our reviews. As we have said so many times, we readily admit that we are not a perfect fit for everyone and clearly this couple would have preferred a larger, full-service resort instead of a small boutique inn. Many of the things they complained about (or were indifferent about) are the exact things most of our many fans love about our inn. Our grounds fell a bit flat: Visitors from around the world compare our grounds to the finest terraced gardens of Spain and Italy. Courtyard room is expensive: Compared to local hotels and resorts it is not only inexpensive, it also includes amenities you would pay for at other hotels in the form of resort fees, including a breakfast nearly every guest raves about. The two main windows in each Courtyard rooms are 3x4 feet and look out on a bright cheery garden terrace. Breakfasts ordinary: We know of no hotel in all of California, nor the parts of England we’ve been to, that provides a menu of 6 gourmet entrees, plus sides and fruit and pastry and a drink bar at absolutely no additional charge. We call that extraordinary, and so do the majority of our guests. Pool area small: Our pool area is actually very large for a 22-room boutique hotel. Only family-oriented bustling big-box resorts have larger pools. WiFi temporarily down: All the money in the world can’t buy a WiFi system that never fails. Paying in cash: In the United States and many parts of the world, nearly all hotels require a credit card at check-in for incidentals. It is understood that services not paid for at the time of service will be charged to the card. Most guests find this a convenience and almost no one pays with cash—although we do make every effort to make that happen on those occasions where the guest lets us know in advance and does not later change their mind. We have previously mentioned a hotel/restaurant phenomenon called “following the leader,” where patrons pick an establishment because of its customer ranking, without truly looking at all the photos and descriptions on the website to see if the rooms, services, food, etc. are truly the type they are looking for. Then they sometimes arrive only to find that what everyone else loved does not live up to their expectations.
Henderson, NV
Reviewed 2 June 2014

From the evening reception, to the personalized welcome letter at check in, the pool, and the view; this place was perfect all the way around. The waffles at breakfast were to die for. Parking was a little tricky, but other than that no complaints.

1 Thank Marcos R
We love the combination of words, Perfect Romantic Getaway. We’re thrilled that Casa Laguna was able to provide this couple with a perfect stay, and we hope they will have the opportunity to return very soon.
Laguna Beach, CA
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had toured the Casa Laguna Inn last summer for an article I wrote for a local newspaper. When I was in need of a place to park my mom at Christmas time, I thought this would be a place she would enjoy. Sure enough she loved it.
The staff are very personable and attended to her needs like a 5 star hotel.
The room, while on the small side and a bit cramped with the King bed (that should really have a Queen bed) was very quiet.
She only had one breakfast at the Inn and said it was very good. She liked the choices of entrees offered that vary for different tastes.
She also enjoyed (briefly, due to our time constraints) the wine reception in the evening.
Lastly, she enjoyed the Inn's gardens and pool area . She did not go in the pool but did some reading poolside. She said it was very peaceful and pretty.
She would stay at the Casa again. If the Inn wasn't down the street from my house, I would stay there too. I love this place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Hotel-Designer
We are honored that Hotel-Designer chose our inn as a place for their mother to stay and we’re so glad she enjoyed her visit with us. We thank Hotel-Designer taking the time to let others know about their experience with Casa Laguna.
san diego, california
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Celebrating turning 60 with my best friend, we couldn't have chosen a nicer place. I spent lots of time researching where to stay and finally settled on Casa Laguna. So glad I did! Lovely gardens, charming interiors, BEST bed pillows ever. The wine and appetizer evening reception and the all day beverage bars are lovely extras. Breakfast was delightful. We would love to be able to take home that delicious granola. I will definitely come back with my husband.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
We’re so pleased that this guest enjoyed their birthday celebration at Casa Laguna and we thank them for this lovely review. We look forward to their return.