“WOW”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 April 2009

What a beautiful and exotic place to get away, but still close to home. Service is outstanding and the breakfast was to die for!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Im4GodnOC
There are newer reviews for Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 14 April 2009

We stayed at the inn on our wedding night, & everything was absolutely perfect for us. We were catered to from the time that I booked the room until our checkout. The staff was very friendly & helpful. We look forward to returning to the inn for our first anniversary.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank soulmatesforlife
Reviewed 13 April 2009

After a few days in busy Los Angeles, I truly needed a night of rest. I'm so happy I selected Casa Laguna Inn.
The property is located just a mile or so off of 133 on South Coast Hwy 1 and it is just up and out of the crazy bustle of shops and restaurants. The first thing I noticed were the Inn's bright and cheerful gardens hidden behind the walls and lush foliage lining the lovely pathways. Onward to the main reception area, I was greeted by Kathryn who quickly checked me in and lead me to my Ocean View room.
I was pleased to find a quaint room with nice extras such as a CD player with a classical music CD, a refrigerator, a warm down comforter on the bed, a fireplace, a jacuzzi tub, and a basket filled with bottled water and treats!
Kathryn pointed out room features, gave helpful reminders about evening wine & cheese, and turned on soothing classical music in my room. What a nice touch!

After settling in, I went to reception area and enjoyed the wine and refreshments. The staff provided a nice assortment of veggies, crackers, cheese, dips, pate, chips & salsa and fruit . Also, there was a variety of wine to choose from (and sparkling cider).
I took my plate back to my room so I could enjoy the gorgeous sunset from the bench on my front porch. Another service offered is a DVD Movie Library so I was able to enjoy a movie before bed (without having to leave the property again).
Last, but certainly not least, was the delicious gourmet breakfast served at Casa Laguna. I selected the Butternut Squash Omelet with fresh asparagus on the side. Outstanding! I noticed so many wonderful dishes on the menu that I longed to stay a few more days.
One thing is certain, I look forward to my next visit to Laguna Beach and to staying at the lovely Casa Laguna Inn.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank Daydreamer025
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Formerly an historic home/artist colony Casa Laguna Inn is a cozy retreat situated on the east side of highway 101 overlooking the ocean (be forewarned Highway 101 is busy, and if you're looking for easy ocean access you will be disappointed). The grounds are filled with colorful foliage and are well kept. We stayed in an Ocean View Room which, originally built as an artist's studio, was a tad on the small side, but not so small as to bother. The room well decorated and featured a fireplace; fixtures (faucet, windows, etc...) were modern which made the stay more comfortable. A shared balcony gave us opportunity to interact with other guests and offers a good ocean view. A decent selection of complimentary wine, cheese, and fruit is offered in the evening and can be taken back to the balcony to share as you contemplate the beautiful pacific sunset. The staff was phenomenal from the owner to housekeeping, all were professional and friendly. The real star however is Chef Cale; their breakfast is unsurpassed. While there I enjoyed the "OC Benedict" which is eggs Benedict atop arugula and crab cake which I still think of several months later. My wife had an open faced omelet which she also enjoyed tremendously. To compliment the main course fresh orange juice (or Mimosa) and banana bread or fruits are also served. Really I can't say enough good things about the meal.

If you're a foodie and/or you're looking for a charming inn for a romantic or quite getaway Casa Laguna Inn comes highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Darrylkuhn
Reviewed 2 March 2009

We needed a getaway and decided to visit an old favorite of ours, Casa Laguna. It had been a bit more than a year since our last visit and we were thrilled to find the property looking better than ever. Attention to detail is always present and we appreciated the quality of the amenities in the bathroom (something I feel tells a lot about a hotel). As, usual, we were impressed with the variety of choices at breakfast (we felt that the options were a bit heavier than in the past but Chef Cale mentioned that this was the "winter menu" and that he was working on a spring menu that would bring back one of our all time favorite, the OC Benedict). Still, my traveling companion was delighted by the waffles. Innkeepers, as always, were welcoming and we were touched to be recognized as returning guests. To top it all, we treated ourselves to massages. In all my travels, I still find that they have some of the best therapists I ever encountered. We also appreciated the effort Casa Laguna is making to become a green hotel.It is nice, in these days, to feel that we got away from it all for a few days and that we got a great value-when you add up what this breakfast, the wine & cheese, complimentary bottles of water, fruits and cookies at the arrival, the movies we borrowed, the internet access and the parking we would have cost us elsewhere in town, the room was virtually free. We'll be back soon.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HSTraveler70
Reviewed 15 February 2009

My husband booked our 1 night stay here for Valentine weekend & our babymoon. I have checked out the hotel website before the trip, & thought the place looked beautiful. But arriving at the actual place was a little less than expected. First of all, the hotel is on the other side of Hwy 1 (not the beach side), so your view is somewhat blocked by traffic. We stayed at the Deluxe Room with View Patio, & you heard the busy traffic more than the waves of the ocean. The room itself was also smaller than expected, with a TV that had too tiny of a screen & a so called fireplace that ended up being fake! The walls also seemed thin as we heard some disturbing noises coming from our neighbor's room late at night. It's just for the price of the room, we expected better quality on everything. The service was also mediocre, nothing extraordinary, & we never could find their famous bell tower (the staff member we asked didn't seem to speak English). Now about the food: The afternoon hors d'ouvres was nothing spectacular (some cheese & crackers, pate, salsa & chips, plain salad). We definitely expected more there! The breakfast was a selection from a gourmet menu that was delicious, but the waitress seemed non-accommodating towards giving us more than 1 side. Overall, our trip didn't meet our expectations, though some good points include the complimentary gifts we received in our room upon our arrival (a teddy bear, wine glasses, chocolate covered strawberries, to name a few) & the many sitting areas around the grounds available for romantic moments. So i would rate this hotel as average... it just simply could be better.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank tarepanda07
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

We hope that tarepanda07 has had a chance to re-experience Casa Laguna since her first stay in 2009, or will do so in the near future. We took her comments very much to heart, and have made many improvements in areas she mentioned. Some furniture has been refinished and bedding has been upgraded. New flat panel TVs have been—or are being—installed in all rooms. Our evening wine and cheese reception now consists of a selection of gourmet appetizers made fresh daily by our chefs. Our wait-staff has been retrained to be more attentive to the guest’s needs, especially in regard to portioning and offering sides. We wish that she had asked our front desk staff or servers about our romantic bell tower. We could also have provided directions to nearby Victoria beach, which is just a ten minute walk away. As to our location, the many photographs on our web site make it clear that, while we have beautiful ocean views, we are not on the ocean or beach; and, our address indicates our location on Pacific Coast Highway. The drone of PCH traffic is not a problem for most of our guests, but we always suggest that those who are particularly sensitive to this type of sound take a room further back on the property. Also, while many guests enjoy our ambiance fireplaces, we do have some rooms and suites with gas fireplaces as well. We hope tarepanda07 will give us another chance to meet, and perhaps exceed her expectations.

Reviewed 5 February 2009

Our room with a fireplace for a romantic stay was rather comical. The fireplace was an animated fireplace "picture". Our room was an upgrade with a view turned out to be noisy because it was located near the stairs. The hors d'oeuvres, which have been incredible and different every night on previous stays, were the same each night and mediocre. The breakfast had several choices but they were out of some selections and were served cold. We returned to this B&B because of previous good experiences, but won't be returning soon. Sorry, but it's not what it used to be.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank azloeb

We’re sorry this couple did not experience the same enjoyment level as their previous stay. While many of our rooms have ambiance fireplaces, we also have several rooms with gas fireplaces, and we would suggest one of those should you decide to give us another chance. This would also take you away from the stair area, although we seldom get complaints about that type of noise. At our evening wine and cheese reception, we now serve a selection of gourmet hors d'oeuvres prepared by our chefs daily. We sincerely apologize for breakfast issues, which most certainly must have been due to a problem with our stove. We currently serve a hot breakfast chosen from a list of 7+ gourmet menu selections. We again apologize for falling short on your last stay, and we hope that you will return to give us another chance in the near future.