“Quintessential SoCal at Casa Laguna”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My partner and I stayed for week at the fabulous Casa Laguna and could have stayed forever.

The Newport Suite was a real home from home with a wonderfully comfortable bed, plenty of space, great shower and tub, and distant views over the PCH to the ocean. Once chilled our you couldn't even notice the traffic noise.

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful, full of local knowledge and recommendations, and the breakfasts were just superb.

Cheese and wine hour was a great way to meet other guests and share Laguna Beach secrets.

Location is great as you can walk to Victoria Beach, or even downtown, and again the hotel staff are more than happy to call you cabs if you are feeling just too tired to stroll downtown in the evening.

Dizzy's as is is a great little restaurant and bar that is definitely walking distance and the sunsets over Catalina from the rooftop bar at the Casa del Camino are sublime - just get there early for a prime seat.

We would plan a trip around a stay at the Casa Laguna. One of our favourite places without question.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Conchwillow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,122)

Reviewed 31 July 2007

My best friends and I have planned on doing a "spa" weekend to celebrate all of us turning 40! We decided to go to Laguna Beach because of the ocean location and the wonderful art community. Hotels were booking up fast and I wasn't having much luck getting a room. So, one of the gals suggested I try Casa Laguna. She has great taste, so we checked for availability and luckily they had one room left!

My best friend and I got a room with one queen sized bed because the two-bed rooms were not available. So, if you're interested in staying there know that there is a possibility of limited selection. They only have about 20 (give or take) rooms. Also, we were there during the height of the tourist season!

We were greeted with extra kind people. Everyone treated us like we were friends rather than customers. Each morning we had our complimentary breakfast: gourmet and healthy made to order meals or bagels, cream cheese, wonderul jams, fresh fruit, yogurt, yummy granola, mini muffins etc. Coffee and juice were also provided. We usually ate enought that we didn't need to eat again until happy hour! Which was at 5 until 8 which provided a red and white wine, as well as champagne, sparkling water, lovely artisan cheeses, crackers, bruschetta, and chips and salsa! We would fill our plates and glasses and relax on their quaint patio. Our days were planned around going to both of these eating opportunities!

One day we booked massages and we were so pleasantly pleased with them and their spa room. The one unfortuneate thing was that we couldn't get our friends that were staying at a private house to get a massage since their spa services are for guests only.

The beds are VERY comfortable and the food is delicious. I loved the inn and I didn't ever hear the Pacific Coast Highway while sleeping and it runs right in front of the inn. They do provide earplugs for those that need them though!

All in all, I think the inn is ran by very thoughtful and gracious people and we will definately be back!!!!

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank raubski
Reviewed 19 July 2007

What a wonderful getaway, the only downfall to my stay was that it was too short. The charming courtyard with all the beautiful flowers lead me to the reception where I was greeted by friendly staff who took me to my room. The wine and cheese was delicious and a nice time to enjoy meeting other guests of the inn. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud and breakfast the next morning was exquiste. The gourmet menu the chef prepared was delicious and the presentation beautiful. I got to enjoy a massage at the SPA, Pavla was incredible and it was the most relaxing massage. Everything was very clean and much attention was paid to detail. I came out of there feeling relaxed and rejuvanated, I cannot wait to go back!

Stayed: July 2007
5  Thank carodaren
Reviewed 11 July 2007

I just got back from a weekend at the Casa Laguna Inn.
I have to say for the price of over $700 for two nights I just expected more. Perhaps my expectations were too high. The gentleman that checked us in....just didn't seem happy to be here/he had a very cool manner. Again for the rate I would expect top notch customer service(service with a smile). One morning at breakfast, after arriving at 9:45am, we were told to order quickly since they were about to close for the day. The sign on the wall said breakfast served until 10:30am. I guess if we had arrived at 10:15am I would have understood the request. The other morning, breakfast in bed order didn't include milk for the tea and coffee that was ordered. Omelette was suppose to be egg white and it came regular.Once again, the subtle things you looked for from a higher end place didn't seem to be there completely.
Now, on the positive side the gentleman that took care of the afternoon wine/snack-I believe his name was Bill. He was exactly what I expected-friendly, greeted us first, asked how our day was-those subtle things that make you feel welcome and make a HUGE difference. The spa services were very good, professional-no complaints there.
The patios on the ocean view rooms aren't private but the room was actually very nice. I'm from NYC so the size didn't bother me, but they were on the smaller side. The inn is so beautiful, I just wish that the customer service was better (or perhaps cheaper so expectations weren't so high).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank missbigcee
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

We sincerely apologize that we did not meet this couple’s expectations. Many things have changed at Casa Laguna since 2007, addressing nearly all of missbigcee’s criticisms. We have instituted guest-first training for all of our staff, and our current staff has been chosen for their likability, efficiency, and dedication to customer satisfaction. I am at a loss to understand why missbigcee was told that they needed to order quickly. I encourage all of our guests to ask for me, the General Manager, when such situations arise. It is important that I know when an employee has strayed from the guest-first concept. Our many thanks to missbigcee for their otherwise kind words about out property, and I hope they will return again in the near future so that we can provide them with the best possible experience.

Reviewed 3 July 2007

I do not know if it was who we were or where we came from that caused the staff at this facility to give ussuch lnferior treatment and products. Our one night stay there cost a total of 475.00.We booked a oceanview room with a private patio. Because it ws our anniversary, we also selected the devotion package and breakfast to be delivered to our room the next morning. First the package: the chocolate covered fruit was stale, the champagne gave me a stomach ache and the breakfast was a very greasy omelette with overcooked ( burnt) potatoes and a glass of oj. What happen to this yummy breakfast other reviews raved about! And if this breakfast was suppose to be complimentary, why did we paid extra for an incomplete-left over breakfast? Okay now the room: very small motel feel,old building smell,mirrors hanging on light fixtures,broken desk,noisy and not so private patio-we could see directly into the patio in front of us, and they could see us-had to view drying swim suits and cigar butts etc...Also people residing in apartment next to the inn stared at us as we attempted to eat our not so delicious breakfast on our not so private patio. I know prices have increased in all industries, but almost 500.00 for night should give you a little more quality than this. If they were trying to discourage us from ever visiting their property again-they did a very good job. Oh I forgot about the parking-please do not drive a nice or big car there. The parking stalls are extremely small and dirty. Also the staff -no greetings,smiles or concern.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
8  Thank QUALITYQUEST
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2011

When we receive such a highly disappointing review at a time when all of our other guests are raving about the quality of our service and breakfast, we can only assume that we were just not the proper fit for this guest. Devotion packages are freshly made within 24 hours of the guest’s arrival and are refrigerated to assure freshness. The champagne is of high quality and always receives compliments, as do our award winning breakfasts. No guest is ever charged for breakfast unless they order the Breakfast Inn Bed package, which is delivered to their room. In the rare case where a meal is incomplete or not to the guest’s liking, the guest needs only to contact our front desk, and a correction would be quickly made. As to our patio rooms, they are adjacent to one another, as are most hotel rooms with patios. If we blocked the patio to make it totally private, there would be no ocean view. As to parking, we are pleased to provide our guests with off-street parking. Yes, the slots are small and inappropriate for some large vehicles, although we have one guest who regularly—and carefully—parks his Hummer there without harm. And finally, our web site and promotions make it clear that we are an historic inn with some smaller rooms decorated with antique furnishings. Our rooms are cleaned and refreshed daily and repairs are made between stays, as is the standard of the industry. Our prices are competitive with most similar accommodations in the area, and more reasonable than many that have not attained our superior level of customer satisfaction. Occasionally, we find that a guest actually prefers a bustling, modern hotel or resort. In such a case, we are always happy to help that guest find local accommodations that better fit their criteria.

Reviewed 1 July 2007

My husband and I just returned from Laguna Beach for our honeymoon. We chose the Casa Laguna Inn, becuase it had such good reviews and everything about it said 'ocean view this, ocean view that'.

Well, let me tell you, its very misleading. The rooms are big enough to fit JUST a bed in it, no joke. We had to put our luggage in the closet and bathroom. It said that we had a private balcony, which we did, but it was overlooked by other guests balconies. We were also told that it was one of the best views of the ocean from the hotel, and it had a beautiful sunset view, the pool had an oceanview as well. Yea, I suppose you could see a little bit of the ocean, from accross the street and through some trees. Which is fine for some. But we were looking to relax on our honeymoon, and just lay around the beach. The pool was big enough for about 5 people, and we did walk up and accross the street to find the beach, after we walked between people's houses.

All in all, the staff was very very nice, and they were very understanding when we explained what we were looking for, and we ended up leaving the first night and staying at the Surf and Sand Resort, which I would reccomend to anyone. It just wasn't what we expected, after being mislead by the reviews, and the hotel website. Go stay at the Surf and Sand if you're looking for an awesome view, excellent service, and a gorgeous beach.

Stayed: June 2007
4  Thank blondy3088
CasaGirl, General Manager at Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2011

Honeymooners love Casa Laguna, and we’re so sad that this couple was apparently a rare exception. Unfortunately, their description sounds like another place. We are a historic property that was once an artist colony. Thus, we boast magnificent architecture and beautifully terraced gardens. Some of our rooms are small. Others are not. We encourage prospective guests to carefully peruse our web site to learn more about our room types and their location on the property. If you have any questions or concerns, give us a call, and we’ll help you decide whether or not we meet your criteria. We have many repeat guests who specifically request the smaller, cozy rooms, which are an excellent value. In regard to the ocean view, with few exceptions, the beautiful Pacific can be seen from gardens, patios, and terraces throughout our property, and from numerous windows of almost every room. The patio room this guest occupied is adjacent to other patio rooms, as are most hotel rooms with patios. A clear view of both the ocean and magnificent Catalina sunsets can be enjoyed from the patio of each of these rooms.

Finally, I’m not sure what pool this guest was visiting or how much room the average person requires in a swimming pool, but our pool is 12 X 47 feet and holds 17,000 gallons of water. As Blondy3088 states, we are always happy to recommend one of Laguna Beach’s active, bustling, beach-front tourist-oriented resorts, for those who prefer that type of atmosphere.

Reviewed 27 June 2007

My husband and I went there for our anniversary last year and we absolutely loved it. While it was different than what we expected, our expectations were exceeded in many ways. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the chef's food was excellent, our room was set up with a card and a few welcome goodies as well. The atmosphere felt like "home" to us. We were very comfortable there. The place was charming and very affordable, much better than we could have gotten at any hotel and a bit more private than a typical B &B.
We have told EVERYONE about it. And we will be back this year!

OH! And the sunset was beautiful from our room.

• Stayed: June 2007