“The Fabulous Casa Laguna”

Casa Laguna Hotel & Spa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sunnyvale, CA
“The Fabulous Casa Laguna”
Reviewed 29 August 2007

This was my second stay at the Casa Laguna Inn and I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Laguna Beach. The grounds are gorgeous and remind me of a European getaway with the winding pathways, patios and fountains. Except for the morning breakfasts or evening wine and cheese, I rarely saw other guests and felt like I was in my own private hideaway. Breakfast was spectacular with a nice buffet of assorted berries and melons in season as well as the conventional toast and bagels, but the best part is the beautifully prepared and presented chef's specialties. The breakfasts were not your usual bacon and eggs but rather interesting variations using purple potatoes and fresh vegetables like red and yellow peppers and yellow tomatoes. Imagine yourself eating outside on the patio with the Pacific right across the street, a delicious frittata or scramble beautifully presented with drizzles of lemon aioli or raspberry, a pitcher of good coffee....I didn't want to leave the Inn! The staff is friendly and seem to sincerely enjoy their work and were willing to go out of their way to ensure our comfort. This is truly a lovey, romantic, small (just the right size -about 25 rooms or suites) place to stay. I'll definitely be staying here again and again!

Stayed August 2007
6 Thank Calif0rniaGirl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Turkish first
San Diego
Reviewed 29 August 2007

Stayed at this property for 3 nights for the purpose of attending the Pageant of the Masters Gala (great event). We paid 349.00/night with AAA card. The room (#7) was suppose to be ocean view, but was really a far away sliver of the ocean with a small patio. The room was very small so if you have big suitcases there really is no where to put them. Our friends had a room w/o the patio and ocean view (#22) and it was larger so don't get room # 7 if you stay. The atmosphere is charming and very friendly. The breakfast in the morning was included and was good. The pool is small and there is no hot tub for regular use. Jacuzzi time must be "rented" and it accomodates only 2 people at a time. This didn't bother us too much because it was the middle of summer, but in the fall/winter access to a spa in the pool area is nice.
All in all, a very good option in Laguna, maybe the best for the price. We went to the Montage for lunch and it was gorgeous and had a nice beach front but it was very snobby. It's possible to stay in 5 star hotels and not have this vibe but the Montage does, so if you decide to stay there know it's a very uppity place with many LA celebrities frequenting the property. Also, had dinner at a restaurant called Ki'ya, which was very good.

• Liked — Historical value, very charming, friendly staff
  • Disliked — size of room, no hot tub, small pool
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Summerblue
Tokyo
Reviewed 18 August 2007

My husband and I have very high standards given both our backgrounds (his as a hotel owner's rep for several years in the past & myself as an international hotelier for the last 13 years). So, for us to qualify our recent stay at the Casa Laguna Inn & Spa as one of THE BEST we've ever experienced, it does count a lot for something. Its customer service and orientation exceeded our expectations. Everything we asked for and needed were made possible by their superb service staff. The best Front Office team I've ever encountered---efficient, effective, sincere and accommodating. Jeff was welcoming even before we reached the Inn (he gave us directions over the phone and was waiting by the entrance parking when we arrived!!!). Denise was always pleasant with her gorgeous smile and seem to always know what we wanted even before we asked for it! Warren is an experienced, top notch hotel associate. Gracious, warm, helpful and efficient to a tee. He would never say no even to what seems to be a daunting task. He is a real gem. Executive Chef Peter (heard he recently won an award for his breakfast!!!), his Culinary team and staff Sabrina were an excellent match to its delicious, world-class breakfast that the Inn has to offer. It's 6-star quality! And lest we forget, the Spa experience...the spa is a no non-sense, clean and relaxing place, free from all the common frills BUT who needs that when the massage is way up there! The best massages we've ever had!!!
Therapists Amy and Lily are heaven-sent! Totally blessed with the gift of touch!!! We had the couple's 90-minute deep tissue massages then we were led to our private jacuzzi overlooking the ocean sipping our champagne!!!! It was truly a wow experience!!! Amy and Lily are not only experienced therapists (both have 12 & 14 years experiences respectively) but they are caring all the way through, very professional and know exactly how to treat a guest. I've told a few other guests about them!!!

The rooms are really nice and cozy. Clean and well-maintained and the bathroom is very well put together with guests' in mind. You can tell by the little details. Amenities are nice, good sized bottles bearing a good international brand. The only thing that did not work was the VCD player, we failed to make it work and was just too tired to bother with it... But something that cannot ruin a truly perfect stay.

And oh...the GM, a lovely lady Kathryn is just the most wonderful and down-to-earth GM you'll ever meet. Very hands-on, always walking around with a smile and offering help to guests every way she can. No wonder Casa Laguna Inn and Spa is an excellent place, it has a great captain running it!

Overall, Casa Laguna Inn & Spa is a MUST-SEE. If you are looking for a perfect getaway, this is the place to be. It's not a cliche, it's not lip service. It's real and it's worth the experience...

Kudos!!!! And we will certainly visit again...and I pledge to tell every friend, colleague and hotel guests I'll meet from hereon.

ET Meyer
Tokyo, Japan

• Liked — top notch customer service & breakfast
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Spoonster
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 August 2007

My now fiance planned this vacation on his own. He suprised me with proposing in Santa Anita and afterwards we went to spend a few days in Laguna Beach. Casa Laguna Inn was the perfect place to celebrate our new engagement! The grounds are beautiful. It is private enough that you can be alone if you want, but large enough that there are people to mingle with if you choose to. We took advantage of the couples maasage with a soak in the jacuzzi overlooking the ocean afterwrds. Was a great experience. The rooms were adequate- not large, but had a fireplace and a great jacuzzi tub!

The food was amazing! It'a a B&B, so breakfast was available each morning (definately gourmet!) Coffee/tea/ice tea available all day. Wine & cheese in the evening.

The location was great- a short distance to "downtown," so far enough away to get away from the hustle & bustle! I would go back in a second!!!!!

• Liked — The Inn was beautifully manicured, many hidden areas to discover
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Christine15
lake tahoe
Reviewed 9 August 2007

My wife and I stayed two nights at this delightful inn for my birthday. We stayed one night in the cottage, and one night in an 'ocean view with patio' room. As it was my birthday, there was a complimentary iced bottle of champagne and two flutes awaiting us in our room.

We love this property. It has mission-style charm, and a delightful adobe-like main building where reception is located and where morning breakfast and afternoon wine and cheese are served. There is a nice living room with sofas and chairs and a roaring fire. The staff is courteous and professional.

Breakfast is out of this world. I had the salmon purse - sooooo good! A light, crepe-like wrap filled with tasty salmon topped with a perfect dill sauce with capers. This dish was simply excellent. The next day I had an omelette with asparagus and cheese accompanied by oven-roasted potatoes that was similarly excellent.

The evening wine tasting featured good wine and a tasty cheese and veggie plate with crackers and bread. I have come to fear the wine one is served at complimentary tastings such as these, finding it often undrinkable. But Casa Laguna served a nice (Chilean I think?) cab, eminently drinkable.

The cottage was very roomy, three rooms in addition to the bath, including a complete kitchen and wonderful ocean view patio. It is equipped with a fireplace, and the bath featured a steam shower as well as a large whirlpool tub shaped in a classic style (on feet). We enjoyed our afternoon ocean view bath after our flight into Orange County.

The patio room was more humble, a bedroom, nice bath and the patio off a sliding glass door with bistro table and two chairs. We watched the sun set from our patio - lovely! The room was accessed via a meandering path through the mission-style buildings of the property.

What I expect from 3-star properties in this price range are high-quality amenities, generous cotton towels, and properly triple-sheeted beds with high quality linens. Casa Laguna comes through with flying colors! The bath amenities are Gilchrist and Soames, we had four (maybe 6?) huge, fluffy cotton towels, and the beds were sumptuous - and triple-sheeted. The down duvet, feather bed and robes are bonus points.

The property's grounds are nicely landscaped, the pool area inviting, the property's location good - we walked into town to get our lunch sandwich and enjoyed it on our patio.

Complimentary internet connection is provided, and one can borrow a cable to hook up. There is a nice selection of CD's and DVD's to check out from the main house.

We had a couple's massage, where two masseuses simultaneously worked on my wife and I in the spa room - with lit candles, a fireplace and soothing classical music. These were the best massages we have ever had! The inn provided slippers for us to wear to and from the massage and our room.

This is a delayed review, we stayed there in January '07, but the images and memories from our time there endure. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stretchslr
St Margaret's at Cliffe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2007

My partner and I stayed for week at the fabulous Casa Laguna and could have stayed forever.

The Newport Suite was a real home from home with a wonderfully comfortable bed, plenty of space, great shower and tub, and distant views over the PCH to the ocean. Once chilled our you couldn't even notice the traffic noise.

The hotel staff were friendly, helpful, full of local knowledge and recommendations, and the breakfasts were just superb.

Cheese and wine hour was a great way to meet other guests and share Laguna Beach secrets.

Location is great as you can walk to Victoria Beach, or even downtown, and again the hotel staff are more than happy to call you cabs if you are feeling just too tired to stroll downtown in the evening.

Dizzy's as is is a great little restaurant and bar that is definitely walking distance and the sunsets over Catalina from the rooftop bar at the Casa del Camino are sublime - just get there early for a prime seat.

We would plan a trip around a stay at the Casa Laguna. One of our favourite places without question.

• Liked — The mission style architecture, the sub tropical palm court, the location and the bed!
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Conchwillow
Idaho
Reviewed 31 July 2007

My best friends and I have planned on doing a "spa" weekend to celebrate all of us turning 40! We decided to go to Laguna Beach because of the ocean location and the wonderful art community. Hotels were booking up fast and I wasn't having much luck getting a room. So, one of the gals suggested I try Casa Laguna. She has great taste, so we checked for availability and luckily they had one room left!

My best friend and I got a room with one queen sized bed because the two-bed rooms were not available. So, if you're interested in staying there know that there is a possibility of limited selection. They only have about 20 (give or take) rooms. Also, we were there during the height of the tourist season!

We were greeted with extra kind people. Everyone treated us like we were friends rather than customers. Each morning we had our complimentary breakfast: gourmet and healthy made to order meals or bagels, cream cheese, wonderul jams, fresh fruit, yogurt, yummy granola, mini muffins etc. Coffee and juice were also provided. We usually ate enought that we didn't need to eat again until happy hour! Which was at 5 until 8 which provided a red and white wine, as well as champagne, sparkling water, lovely artisan cheeses, crackers, bruschetta, and chips and salsa! We would fill our plates and glasses and relax on their quaint patio. Our days were planned around going to both of these eating opportunities!

One day we booked massages and we were so pleasantly pleased with them and their spa room. The one unfortuneate thing was that we couldn't get our friends that were staying at a private house to get a massage since their spa services are for guests only.

The beds are VERY comfortable and the food is delicious. I loved the inn and I didn't ever hear the Pacific Coast Highway while sleeping and it runs right in front of the inn. They do provide earplugs for those that need them though!

All in all, I think the inn is ran by very thoughtful and gracious people and we will definately be back!!!!

Stayed July 2007