“They are not even trying” 2 of 5 bubbles

Sushi Laguna
Ranked #85 of 169 Restaurants in Laguna Beach
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly
“They are not even trying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

Went for lunch. There were only four tables with people and the waitress kept excusing herself for being supposed to take care of "everything". Waited 5 minutes to be seated (even though the place was empty),15 minutes until we could order and 15 more to get the food. At that point the just-average sushi we were served was not enough to save a ruined lunch.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

“BBQ sauce on the menu???”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

The place smelled like a frying pan. The menu had BBQ sauce on the rolls. When we asked the waiter what they meant by BBQ sauce he explained that they call eel sauce BBQ sauce. I really did not get it since some of the rolls listed both sauces. We ran away from there and I'm not going back.

London, United Kingdom
“Chilled relaxed eating environment”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was sooooo reasonably priced. Just wished we had sushi like this in the uk. The portion were big too.

Visited August 2013
Marion, Illinois
“Sushi is always better right off the PCH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Wow. As a Midwesterner I am always looking for a good seafood place while on the coast and this place definitely fit the bill. We wanted a table fresco style because let's face it this place is right near the beach where you can eat sushi and enjoy that fresh ocean breeze.

I love getting soup at Japanese restaurants and this place had an amazing "Special Miso" with the catch of the day as it were. It was like drinking in the ocean. But a warning: you can probably share this very large bowl of soup with a companion if you want to save some room for the fabulous sushi to follow because this soup is so good you cannot stop eating and then BAM! no room for sushi which would definitely be sad because it is so delicious.

If my husband and I had the time we would have came back time and again trying different rolls because the menu is so extensive.

The staff made us feel welcome. It was like West Coast meets Southern Charm. I cannot say enough about how lovely my romantic night was at this place right near the beach.

• Visited October 2012
San Jose, CA
“Excellent sushi at a reasonable price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Ate here twice - at the sushi bar - during a recent trip to Laguna Beach. I would describe this place as having excellent sushi where the fish portions are a bit on the smaller side. Hence the price per serving is not as high as other sushi places I have visited. I prefer it this way as it allows to me to order more dishes and eat a more diverse array of sushi.

The maguro, hamachi, salmon, and the unagi were all excellent. Special mention to the unagi, cucumber and avocado roll which I think was one of the best examples of this dish I have ever eaten. Had it each time I visited.

The decor is nothing to write home about and the location is tucked away on a side street. But the place is friendly and the atmosphere is inviting. Recommended !

• Visited July 2013