“Worth every penny - Amazing”
Review of The Pearl Laguna

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Laguna Beach
The Pearl Laguna
San Francisco
“Worth every penny - Amazing”
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Worth every penny. It is hard to put into words how wonderful The Pearl Laguna truly is - the people, the location, the experience - all are amazing. You exercise (yoga and hiking), eat healthy delicious meals (although prepare to not eat very much!), and relax in the beautiful setting of Geo and Ketrisha's paradise in laguna beach. I recommend going for the whole week (sunday to saturday) for best results - it really is a true detox. No caffeine, no alcohol, no processed foods. Positive energy every day and you really get to focus on yourself and your well-being. Every person has a different reason for going and you meet very interesting and inspiring people along the way. And of course, not to forget, you also get an amazing massage every day. I recently went back for a second time and enjoyed it even more. The owners and staff are truly wonderful and inspirational.

Room Tip: there is a separate cabana that you can request if available - it has a beautiful sundeck.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I recently spent a week at the Pearl and had a truly transformative experience. I felt depleted from my son's deployments and my pro bono work and needed help regaining balance in my life, but I never expected the abundance of gifts I received. Everyone and everything was integral and I hope to return whenever I can.

Although the program is certainly challenging, it’s whatever you need it to be. I gained strength, flexibility and balance in Geo’s exhilarating yoga sessions, which I’m trying to follow at home courtesy of his DVD; I gained strength and lost weight (8 pounds) from scenic and strenuous hikes tailored to meet our individual needs and from daily strength training. The cuisine was delicious and I was never hungry. And Katresha’s skin products were simply amazing. (I was able to bring them home with me but am still trying to replicate the delicious meals). Most of all, I miss the people of The Pearl: Katresha and Geo and their extraordinary staff who were unfailingly positive and supportive to all of us. I felt at home at The Pearl and plan to send people I love so they can be touched by its magic, too.
Julie

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The Pearl is a place better experienced than described, but here is my story:

I entered the Pearl on June 18, 2012 at age 58, and left a week later with a lightness of being I had not felt since age 17. As a result of this feeling of joy and happiness I resolved to make permanent life-changes that are still working for me seven months later.

Whether this was attributable to the cleansing diet, my spiritual connection with the program, or the combination thereof is unknown, but it certainly was not the 13 pounds I lost during the week – since I still weighed in at over 260 pounds.

10 days later I had a life insurance physical examination, and my health numbers had plummeted. My resting heart rate was down to 58 BPM from 83. And my cholesterol had decreased to 220 from 250, and my fasting blood sugar fell to 70 from 107.

It is now December 31, 2012, and I weighed in this morning at 200 pounds, a 83 pound weight loss in seven months.

My body/fat ratio is now 15%, my resting heart rate 52 BPM, my cholesterol 190, and I look and feel 20 years younger. Every objective and subjective measurement of fitness and health in my life is now optimal. Even my intraocular eye pressure, which prior to the Pearl was “borderline for Glaucoma” has fallen (as of my last eye exam in September of 2012) 20% to well within normal limits. I am truly healthy for the first time in my 59 year old life.

I walk up and down hills for a minimum of one to two hours a day, seven days a week, and have eliminated processed foods, cow dairy, bread, processed sugar, alcohol, and coffee from my life (but eat everything else, including pasta, the occasional 16 oz ribeye steak and French-fries).
These life changes were inspired and facilitated by my experience at the Pearl.

While the Pearl downplays the spiritual aspects of the program, I credit my spiritual “unblocking” during my stay there with my ability to embrace and implement these lifestyle changes; That and experiencing life for a week without the numbing effects of alcohol, caffeine, processed foods and chemicals while getting back in touch with my authentic self.

A few more comments: I had never done ANY Yoga before the Pearl, I had not exercised at any fitness level for over two years, and if I could undertake and complete this program you can as well. I spent two hours a day on a Yoga matt next to some VERY fit people (and a beginner or two as well), and everyone – fellow guests and staff - was friendly, nurturing and supportive. (I still correspond with many of my fellow Pearl guests.)

If you are looking for a way to jumpstart spiritual, health, and/or physical changes in your life, the Pearl is a wonderful place to start.

There is a large portrait of one of the co-owners of the Pearl, Geo Moskios, hanging in the sun porch/massage waiting area of the Pearl. I looked at a catalog of the artist’s work and Geo’s portrait is entitled “Healer”. The painting could not be more aptly named.

--Stephen Gianelli, San Francisco, California

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank StephenGianelli
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Then here is my answer!
I recently traveled across the world from Perth, Western Australia and spent an amazing two weeks at the beautiful and peaceful retreat called The Pearl Laguna, Hiking and Yoga Spa. This fabulous spa was founded by Geo and Katresha Moskios, two of the worlds most renowned yoga teachers and also two of the most caring and motivating people you will ever meet.
The Pearl Laguna is an intimate retreat nestled amongst trees in the Laguna Canyon and has twelve beautiful bedrooms all with marble bathrooms. Even the New York Times rated this five star Spa the best!
Laguna Beach itself is a quaint seaside village full of fabulous art galleries and about an hours drive south of LA and an hour from San Diego. So easily accessible especially from Orange County Airport.
From the moment I stepped into the very spacious Zen living room, complete with its cheerful open fire, I was greeted by the wonderful warm staff of The Pearl Laguna. From then on I didn’t have to think about a thing for two weeks!
No watch, computer or mobile phone. It was bliss just being completely cared for.
The day begins with Geo’s Signature Power Yoga, followed by a delicious breakfast and hiking in the beautiful Laguna Hills.
One day we hiked 11 miles to the beach and enjoyed a delicious lunch in a gorgeous park overlooking the ocean. I must say it was great to get those hiking boots off and soak my feet in the ocean.
Everyday I had a first class massage. They were all heavenly. Then it was off to the sauna and jacuzzi, before taking time to rest. Most evenings began with a fireside chat, then yoga, sometimes with the inspirational Katresha, then a beautiful dinner and a different herb tea and then that wonderful bed with its gorgeous crisp white linen and then a well earned sleep.
We were served the most delicious vegetarian meals, beautifully and stylishly presented. I can’t wait for Katresha’s new cookbook to be published.
So thank you to all of the wonderful staff at The Pearl Laguna. I feel nurtured and nourished and have continued to keep up what I learnt! In fact I am so inspired to keep up my exercise that I am training to do a Cape to Cape walk here in Western Australia along our beautiful beaches.
I will be back!

Room Tip: They are all different and beautifully clean and private!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Bozeman, Montana
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I recently spent a wonderful week at The Pearl. The best reasons to go to there, based on my experience, are that their program works, the setting is aesthetically delightful, and the people who work there are unfailingly helpful as you go through a week of what is essentially diet and rigorous exercise. One of the first things that the staff does is to weigh you and measure you, so that you can really see the results at the end of the week. I lost over 5 pounds and took 1.75 inches off of my waist and 3 inches off of my hips. I also left with a rejuvenated attitude about my health and the next steps in my life.

The program is strenuous, but flexible enough to fit personal fitness. I was a strong hiker before going, and indeed the hiking component was an important part of my decision to go there. The hiking guides were great and the scenery along the trails beautiful even in winter. I’ve neglected my yoga practice over the last few years so I was concerned that I would not be able to keep up with those classes. Geo, yogi and lead teacher, was fabulous, enriching my whole understanding of yoga while helping me find good form. He and all of the guides and teachers challenged me physically while being tremendously supportive.

Mornings – yoga, hiking, gym workouts—were tough. But the afternoons were a delight. They included time in an infrared sauna, a very professional massage followed by time in the outdoor Jacuzzi, a different face mask each day, and then well-earned rest and quiet time. Evening yoga classes were less intense than the morning classes and included time for meditation. One night there was an introduction to Tai Chi.

The cleansing diet was better than I had expected. The food was very tasty and the presentation exquisite. Plus, the table settings, different every meal, with fresh flowers and the imaginative arrangements of shells etc., made the number of greens I ate seem gourmet fare. Katresha, co-owner and nutritional expert, as well as a yoga teacher herself, made sure that I understood the principles of what I was eating and what would be a healthy diet when I returned home.

I should have some critique as well as praise for The Pearl. Twice rain made the trails too muddy to hike so those days I had to walk on the beach. But that was a pleasure rather than a hardship. Walking up steep sidewalks to get my heart rate up on those days was challenging but understandable. I have to say that I was hungry and tired on Tuesday and had fairly depressing thoughts about getting through the rest of the week. By Thursday, though, I was feeling lighter and stronger. When I left on Saturday, I felt energized and very satisfied with my experience. I definitely plan to return.

Michelle M, Bozeman, MT

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank michelle m
Babylon, New York, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I was at work one day thinking how did I get this fat and miserable!!! I sit at my desk all day with no time for lunch so I was grabbing snacks, cookies...etc. I finally said, ENOUGH and reached out to a friend who recommended "The Pearl." I called, booked a week and got on the plane. I had no time to think about what was to come and boy was I surprised! I knew I would be working out BUT nothing like this (probably a good thing). I was exhausted day one after my first hike and yoga class. I had never excercised like that before in my life (yes plenty of sweat and tears). It was the hardest most challenging day yet I don't think I have ever been more proud than that night when I finally put my head on the pillow. Truth be told I never would have made it through the week if it wasn't for every single person who works at the pearl. I absolutely loved everyone and they truly know how to take care of you, when to push you or just let you be. I LOST 12lbs and 25 inches AND know I will be back for a refresh!!! AND I have most definitely brought home some key learnings.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Eileen D
Texas
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Don't kid yourself, this is a boot camp, but what a boot camp it is. Geo and Katresha are indredible hosts with immense knowledge, and take a deep interest in the well-being and success of each guest. If you buy into the program, you will detox, get in much, much better shape, and lose a shocking amount of weight but do it in a healthy fashion. We particularly enjoyed hiking with guides Derrick and Conrad, who will help you 'get your mind right' for the challenging hills. The Blue Pearl location is both restful and unique in a good way, the hiking trails are staggeringly beautiful, and the climate is the best in the world. If you're serious about changing your approach to eating, fitness and your overall health and attitude, i can't recommend Blue Pearl highly enough. If you can imagine the seemingly contradictory nature of a new age boot camp run by a Marine, you'll 'get' this place and be proud of yourself for spending the week there...it's not all boot camp, the food is delicious and healthy, the massages are first-rate, and the hosts and the entire staff from driver/guides/cooks are incredibly nice and supportive but they're there to work you and not coddle your bad habits. I wish I could have stayed another week. One warning...cut down on the coffee before you go and you'll thank yourself.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple