“Good Food + BAD Service”

Katsuya by Starck - Laguna Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thalia Street
Description: Welcome to the beach! Katsuya by Starck’s first Orange County location pairs the talents of Master Sushi Chef Katsuya Uechi with world-renowned designer Philippe Starck. Featuring specialty cocktails, custom rolls and spectacular sushi platters, Katsuya Laguna Beach offers the best in contemporary Japanese cuisine in a dazzling indoor and outdoor setting.
Reviewed 5 March 2013

Overall the food was very good, however, the service was Pathetic. We waited about 10 minutes after being seated to find a waiter. Ordered Wine, sake and at least a dozen apps and entrees. The food tends to come out all at once - no pacing at all - this part is out of the waiter's control.

Best dishes are their signature ones including: Spicy Tuna on crispy rice, yellowtail, crab roll and miso black cod.

We ordered a second bottle of sake - waited 20 minutes and nothing. Ask the waiter to check on it, again nothing. Begged a third time and he told us: "I don't see it on the bar - so it must not be ready"... translated - the bartenders were to busy to go in back an get the bottle - and he was not suppose to get the saki for us... so - just wait. We gave up on the saki, had desert and begged once again for the check. The WORST Service at any Katsuya location EVER. Management was no where to be found.

Atmosphere: LOUD but trendy. A poor cousin of the other locations - the acoustics are terrible and the space is small - outside area is a little better.

Parking: Valet for $5 at dinner - worth it - parking is challenging on the street - unless you go behind the restaurant on a side street.

The waiter: He'll never get an acting and I don't know why he's waiting tables - it's not for the tips.

Reviewed 11 November 2012

We were craving sushi during our quick getaway to Laguna Beach and the concierge at our B&B recommended Katsuya. We are certainly glad that he did. Our waiter, Danny, was great, but the service from all the staff was outstanding. We had the Chef Tasting Menu along with some other selections and all of it was excellent.

Reviewed 23 September 2012

Went to Katsuya on a recommendation from the hotel concierge. Restaurant was easy to find and well decorated. Hostess staff was pleasant. Waiter was very aggressive and pushy. He talked so fast we had a hard time understanding him. My wife and I are not Japanese food buffs and certainly not heavy into sushi, but we like the food variety and unique flavors. The server just kept pointing to things on the menu and suggesting items repeatedly, even after we said, "we don't care for spicy tonight." I think he was also offended that we didn't want to drink this particular evening. We ended up ordering the Japanese chicken soup. What a disaster! The soup was very tasty and the presentation creative and cool. You try getting 20" long udon noodles out of a crock with chopsticks and a small almost flat ladle. We ended up laughing our way through it but holy cow. It was nearly impossible to eat and we covered the table in mess from it. The Skirt steak and shrimp robata were phenomenal. California roll was the best we've had. Overall it was an ok experience with an overbearing server.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

This was my first experience at Katsyua and last. I came here on a Sunday evening and the restaurant itself was pretty empty. Overall, my experience was good as the food was wonderful.

One of my favorite things to do is sit at the sushi bar, have a drink with the sushi chef and try new and adventurous sushi that they recommend. However, I learned that evening since this is a corporation, they were not allowed to drink with you (which is ok), and could not make any other sushi other then what was listed on the menu (I don’t know if it’s because they didn’t know how or because they weren’t allowed). With that I was a bit disappointed. I would recommend this restaurant for a place to eat good sushi and have good conversation with friends. I would not go here if you’re looking for a unique Sushi Dining Experience while trying new and exciting dishes. For that, I would recommend smaller venues such as 930 Sushi or GenKai.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The sushi was fresh but overall average taste, priced on the higher end (I think they are trying to sell an "atmosphere fee" for the privilege to dine in Katsuya). It felt very out of place for Laguna beach, the decor seemed to be a carbon copy of any other LA trendy place.

Waitstaff appeared to be very aggressive and in most case more confusing than helpful with his recommendations. Seems many others have posted here about the extremely slow service, I will say our food was delivered timely to the table, that being said, my party only ordered sushi and other related items. But overall this was likely my first and last visit here.

We passed on ordering anything from the "Liquid Kitchen" ... as prefer my beer and drinks to come from the Bar.... Thanks.