“Paul is great!”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles
“Paul is great!”
Reviewed 4 May 2011

To be honest, we didn't end up staying here. I know...I know...why am I writing a review then? Well, let me explain. We had thought about booking a room here at the last minute, but decided on a larger suite w/ a living room in Newport Beach. I wanted to quickly mention my experience talking over the phone with Paul (the owner, I believe.) He was so kind to hold the room for us while we talked it over and when I called him back letting him know that we decided against it, he was so very kind and wished us a wonderful weekend in Laguna Beach. That might not seem like a big deal, but in my experiences, I have found that more and more, as soon as people in "customer service" realize they're not going to get any money from you, they become rude, or even hang up without another word. Paul is the exact opposite and I must say it was such a pleasant surprise. That in itself sold us on checking this place out very soon. We look forward to our first stay at this lovely inn in the very near future! Thanks again Paul!

Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
New Haven
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Best value for the location and there is an amazing park within walking distance from the hotel. Ask the owner when you check in as she will be able to give you pinpoint directions as well as great info regarding places to visit and dine while staying.

Room Tip: Check the Internet for the best rate.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
IL
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I found the art hotel to be amazing!!!!!! I was supposed to stay for 2 nights and then head to malibu. However I ended up staying for 3 more nights. I loved laguna beach as well as this hotel. There's a beach right across the street (cresent bay) where I would go to watch the sun rise and set. You can't beat this hotel or this town. The town is a mile away which could easily be walked to. There's a little convenience store next door to the hotel to get soda, water, or food.

It's a very quiet area. In fact it's right next door to actual homes. So you are really inside the laguna beach neighborhood and not far way in a tourist hotel area. The service is top notch. I honestly would compare it with the service you would receive at a ritzy high end hotel. There's a little balcony where you can sit and get a suntan or chat on a cell phone in private. The first two nights I had the ocean view room which granted it wasn't on the ocean but the view was amazing non the less. I also loved the hot tub. It gives you a perfect view of the ocean from the deck. You can even change the temperature of it and the speed of the jets. The pool was heated at a very comfortable temperature.

I really loved my time here. The hotel owners were so nice and accommodating. They were always so friendly and recommended great places to go. What impressed me the most was on my first day of arrival, the owner Paul gave us a overview of Laguna Beach and showed us on a map the most scenic places to go and see. I didn't even ask about what places are good, he just asked if I had a few minutes so he could give me a summary of the town and the best places to go.

The hotel offers a light continental breakfast. Such as fruit bars and muffins. For a bigger breakfast there are so many quaint restaurants where you can go to eat.. I tried Picayo which is only a few blocks away. They also have very friendly staff there. The Art Hotel has a little fridge in the lobby where you can get water and sunny d juice throughout the day. There's also a computer where you can check e-mail or google places to go. In every room there's a Laguna attraction guide which comes in handy.

Parking is free which you can't say the same about other hotels in Laguna. Also, there's murals everywhere and paintings which really makes the hotel unique. I felt so at home here and relaxed. It's a small hotel so there aren't a lot of people running around everywhere which is nice. I kind of felt like it was like a private apartment. Every day I had the pool to myself or the hot tub. There's really cozy padded lawn chairs with pillows. It was so relaxing. The rooms are decent size. Beds were comfortable and the rooms always smelled so good. The tv offered lots of channels. In the ocean view rooms they have plasma tvs and the king bed was massive. The non ocean view rooms beds were queen but so comfortable. Bathrooms were a good size. The coffee was amazing. I brewed so much coffee there that the maid started putting extra coffee packets in the room.

I highly recommend this hotel you won't be disappointed. The next time I'm in Laguna Beach I'm only staying at the Art Hotel!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abigail101
HAMPTON IOWA
Reviewed 31 March 2011

Paul and Gayle were great host and hostess for a middle age woman on her very own EAT LOVE PRAY journey while attending a class in Laguna Beach from Hampton, Iowa. Paul drove me to the classes every morning so I would arrive on time. Another, guest and myself even shared a beer one evening together. Gayle was very attentive to all of the guests arriving and departing ! GREAT ROOM RATE and very clean! OCTA BUS STOP is right by the hotel ! Beach and park across the street !!! It was a great stay ! I enjoyed the artwork that is featured and the art work that is being painted on the outside of the hotel as well...It is an ART HOTEL in the making !!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
framingham
Reviewed 19 February 2011

The hotel is phenomenonal. The staff go out of their way to tell you about the area, SO friendly. !!!!
The rooms are big & clean. You can see the ocean from most of the rooms, or right outside your room. I had a room toward the back and could not hear the road even though it is conveniently right on Pacific Coast Hwy. Walking distance to ocean - A BEAUTIFUL Beach and parking there too. Downtown is 8/10 mile. And Laguna is a wonderful town.
Parking right under the rooms, it is so close to take your luggage up! I LOVED This place. !! There is a little pool and it is sparkling clean - NO ONE in it! You can see the ocean from the pool , and theres a little jacuzzi on like a little private ledge on the top roof. I can't tell you how great this place was. Maybe not for a family of 4 because of the busy road. but single or couples it is great.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My husband and I stayed one night on the way from the LA area to San Diego. The room was standard with a large bathroom. Bed could have been more comfortable, but other than that everything was great. Gail was very helpful and gave us some great recommendations of where to watch the sunset. We were very close to all the restaurants and shops in downtown Laguna Beach. Very affordable option in Laguna.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I'm sitting by the pool writing this. This place is great. Fantastic rates for Laguna and lovely spacious rooms. The hostess is lovely and very helpful with tips for dining and other activities. Yes, it is on the Highway, but most of the hotels are. So, expect a little traffic noise....but really - this is one of the nicest places we've stayed during our three weeks in California.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple