“Unprofessional”

Art Hotel - Laguna Beach
Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I made a reservation online...Gail called me asking when I might arrive when I had made the reservation for a date 2 weeks in the future. Then I called back 2 days later to cancel and received confirmation. I just got another call from Gail confirming my reservation when I received a confirmation regarding the cancellation. She said she was "leaning on [me]" because SHE hadn't properly cancelled the reservation in her own records. When I told her that was unprofessional and that she had wasted my time (it took me over 30 min to finally get through b/c the line was repeatedly busy), she said it was my own fault that I let someone "steal [my] joy," and that I shouldn't have been stressed about a possible $200 charge for a room I didn't want/need.

I rarely give ratings based on service alone, but the service here was so atrocious that it is well deserved!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JYKK
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2013

I thank this guest for helping me realize how "important" the words we speak are.
There was never a conversation about being charged a penny after the guest was sent a
cancellation email. (easy to track.)
The call was triggered the day of arrival because I had not cancelled the hardcopy paperwork,
when I cancelled the computer reservation.
I would rather communicate more often with the guest, when something is is question than not.
In this case, it caused to much anxiety for the guest; This was never the intent.
When I get up in the morning, I hope to offer to my guests "Peace & Rest", and the relationship begins with the reservation. I am a strong believer that "No one steals Your Joy" no matter the
situation (you have to allow it yourself); but "My words" were misunderstood this time: I apologixe for any mis-understanding. Everyone has enough going on....I am open to improve my communication skills. You have made me & and Art Hotel a better place! Thank you.

Reviewed 22 January 2013

I JUST LOVED THIS PLACE.

Checking in itself was a rewarding gift. As I arrived and was greeted by the gentlemen at the desk I realized he had many books from Joel Olsteen as well as others. As we began to converse about books as he says happy birthday and gives me an inspirational book. Which I haven't yet finished but is extremely good. Off the bat I knew it was going to be a great birthday weekend for me.

Room was clean, and very well decorated. I loved the patio and all the art around the hotel as well as all the statues of bears around. My kids and husband felt very comfortable.

The location was very convenient as well. I had the best morning walk, literally almost right across from the beach, 20 min walk from downtown stores and shopping.

Maintenance was very courteous and on top of things.

Looking forward to returning in the near future, THANKS AGAIN FOR THE BEST BIRTHDAY!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Irma D
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for your kind words! Hope you finish the book; it is a great view of our purpose!
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 10 January 2013

Stayed here in Sept 2012 and it was a great place to end a 2 week holiday in California. The room was very clean and a small balcony which is nice. There was a problem with our A/C but once we notified the front desk, the problem was rectified that day.
The busy pacific highway runs right beside the hotel but this was not a big problem for us. It is located a good 15 min walk from the main drag of Laguna but if you cross the PCH, there's a nice stroll along the shore to the town.There is also a really nice secluded beach across the road from the hotel just 2 min walk.
As we had a hire car and parking charges can be an issue with some hotels, it was great to stay here where off street underground parking was provided
But my major praise must go to the staff of this hotel because about 30 min after we had checked out of the hotel we realized our camera had been left behind in the room. So we returned to the hotel and the thankfully the owner had it at the front desk.
For the location this hotel is excellent value for those on a budget and very comfortable.

Room Tip: Any room on the upper level away from the highway.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you for your kind words!
Gail Duncan

Reviewed 13 December 2012

My husband and I decided to southern California for our honeymoon. Prior to arriving, we hadn't booked any hotels yet as we were going for the adventurous side of things and wanted to live by the moment with no plans. After the first night staying close to the airport for convenience, we drove to Laguna Beach on the search for a good hotel. We came across the Art Hotel, located literally across the street from the beach. The Hotel was decorated so cute and unique, I really wanted to stay there. Gail, the hotel owner, was so kind to us and made us feel really welcome. We stayed a couple nights- spent the days on the beach and wandering beautiful Laguna- then left to continue our adventure in Santa Monica. Towards the end of our honeymoon I told my husband I really wanted to go back to the Art Hotel because it was my favorite hotel since being in California. We went back for our last 2 days/nights and Gail treated us to (what we thought) was her nicest room there. It was an ocean view with a cute patio. The prices are extremely affordable and we couldn't have been happier with the staff. If you're driving through Laguna Beach or flying there to stay a while, be sure to stay at the Art Hotel. You will not be sorry and you will love the view and beach front feel without the high prices.

Room Tip: We stayed in a couple different rooms and we loved them all! They are all individually decorated wit...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2012

Thank you for your kind words!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

We stayed here with our whole wedding party! It was very clean and the owner was amazing and accommodating! You cannot beat the price at all! By far one of the best places we've stayed small and cute feels like home! Thank you so much!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Damian M
Reviewed 16 October 2012

This was the most individual of the hotels we stayed in during our road trip, found through internet hotel booking site. As others have said, it would benefit from some updating, but it it served our needs well. We were tired from much driving, so were happy to just 'blob out' by the pool for a couple of days - even though its next to the main road, there wasn't as much noise as we feared. Pool has several seating options for those wishing to bake and those wishing for shade - which was nice. The owner kindly accommodated a slightly later checkout for us.
Our only negative was the so-called breakfast included in the price. A piece of fruit, cling-filmed small Danish pastry and a cereal bar, with a small bottle of OJ or water - wasn't really breakfast. The gentleman who booked us in described it more accurately as something to keep you going until the next meal.
Definitely an interesting alternative to the usual chain hotels and motels.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jockette
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We found the Art Hotel through an internet search. Telephoned and spoke to owner. We travel with a pet and needed accommodations. Could not believe that the room was only $99 and have NO pet fees. This wonderfully designed hotel is noted for locate art work on building and in rooms (check it's web site). While located at the north coast highway, it is an easy walk 1 mile to center of all Laguna Beach activity. Along the walk are restaurants, shops, and art galleries. There is a wonderful outlook to the ocean across the street and many by-passes to the beach. When you reach the center beach access is easy to the boardwalk. If you want something light for breakfast, you can get fruit and pastries in the lobby. Some coffee in the room. We recommend going out if you want breakfast. The Cottage Restaurant a few blocks south is great! Ate there each morning. The hotel has parking and heated swimming pool (but you have the ocean). The room is clean, however we noticed that it did need some minor maintenance in the bathroom. We loved it. Our kitty loved it. We would return.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple