“A Very Enjoyable Stay”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“A Very Enjoyable Stay”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

After a road trip across South Dakota and Wyoming, our 2013 holiday ended with a flight to LAX and 5 nights at Laguna Beach and we couldn't have been happier with the Art Hotel

With just a five minute walk (albeit down a rather steep hill) to a beautiful beach and a free shuttle every 20 mins to take you the mile to downtown, the location suited us perfectly. The parking garage was very convenient and we never had any problems getting a space.

Our room overlooked the pool and having a small balcony was a real bonus, we could also see the ocean. The bed was extremely comfortable and we had no issues with the cleanliness of the room. All in all very happy with the room and facilities.

The pool area was lovely, with comfortable furniture and was a quiet place to relax

Regardless of what others have said, this hotel does NOT provide breakfast, but what you can do each morning is pop into reception and pick up some fruit, small pastries or a granola bar. As we had a car our breakfast venue of choice was just up the coast road (towards Newport) and Ruby's Shake Shack - where we loved drinking our coffee and eating our eggs and toast with a wonderful view of the coastline. There is also a Stop and Go just next door to the hotel and we found this really convenient for sandwiches and cold drinks to take to the beach, plus wine and beer for a drink on the balcony before going out.

Gail the owner/manager was extremely nice and helpful, welcoming us warmly when we arrived (slightly late) and also loaning us beach chairs to take to the beach.

We actually loved Laguna Beach and the Art Hotel so much we definitely thinking of making it part of our holiday again in 2014

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Gail D, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Thank you for staying at the Art Hotel and we're happy you enjoyed your stay. We welcome you back anytime.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel is a great value in the Laguna Beach area. While it isn't located in the heart of the shopping and restaurant area, it's just a short walk to the heart of downtown Laguna. Loved the small boutique feel and the easy access to the covered parking lot. My friend and I were traveling with our dogs and the pet friendly accommodations were just perfect for our pets. Our room was close to an outdoor shower to wash off the dogs after they romped in the sand which was a nice, convenient amenity. Right across the street starts the beautiful cliff side walk and we ended up finding great cove beaches directly in front of the Art Hotel. All in all I was VERY pleased with the value and location that this property offered and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AlisonHeartAZ
Northern California
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Stayed three nights at the Art Hotel with my wife while attending the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach.

This hotel is on the far north end of town and near only one restaurant Mandarin King (see my review) but convenient to the north route of the free shuttle that runs every 20 minutes during the Pageant.

While rated 3 stars – this hotel has to be at the low end of 3 stars. Our room 203 was fine – spacious and clean, but could use some TLC.

The microwave was not plugged into the wall outlet because it is bolted to the top of the refrigerator and someone decided to move the combo farther from the outlet than the microwave cord allowed. I moved the massive dresser/TV stand and placed the combo within range of the microwave’s short cord.

There was no open outlet at the desk for my laptop, so I unplugged the table lamp.

The stopper in the bathroom sink did not open/close via the plunger.

The carpet is in need of cleaning as when I stepped into the tub/shower, the grime from the bottom of my feet after walking barefoot on the carpet was apparent in the bottom of the tub.

Breakfast is the most minimal I have seen. No coffee in the lobby, but you can ask for an extra packet and make it in your room. There is fresh fruit available – obviously purchased from the local supermarket – plums I had were tasteless, and individually wrapped mini-sweet rolls.

Upon morning checkout we discovered the office does not open until 07:30 and since the elevator is accessed via the lobby, the elevator does not operate until 07:30.

More minuses than pluses in my opinion, but my wife likes the hotel and has stayed here in the past.

I stay in hotels 30+ nights/year. The older I get the more stars I need in my hotels.

Room Tip: Locate away from the pool as there are occasionally late evening/night pool parties.
2 Thank LostLen
Thank you for staying at the Art Hotel. Yes, we're dated, family owned, and we do our best to keep things clean and comfortable. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Laguna Beach.
Laughlin, Nevada
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband spent one night in the what I would call a boutique hotel. From the first moment we steopped foot in the lobby We knew we made a good decision. Robert the manage was kind and helpful and had a nice sense of humor. The rooms were clean and quaint. My thought as we checked out the next morning was next time we will stay 2 nights. I love Laguna Beach We had never been there before and are excited to go back. Free Trolly's around town can't get any better than this!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying at the Art Hotel. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Laguna Beach.
Staten Island, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Before your stay, Gail is probably gonna call you to make sure the booking is exactly what you want. She provides personal service to make sure your stay is as pleasant as possible. Rooms are clean and have a small fridge and microwave. Pastries and fruit in the lobby in the morning. Most hotels in the area charge much more.

Room Tip: Call Gail directly
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying at the Art Hotel. We do not offer breakfast, so our small pastries and juice keep you going until breakfast can be had. We hope you enjoyed your stay in Laguna Beach.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My friend & I stayed 1 night when we were going to the Pageant of the Masters. I picked this hotel because of price, so I was expecting something basic. Most hotels were much more expensive. The location is about 10 blocks north of the Pageant, plus the free trolley picks up & drops off right across the street. It is also about 1-1/2 blocks to Crescent Bay.

The rooms were OK and clean, but had those "under the window" a/c units, so it was noisy when it kicked on. It didn't bother me, but my friend is a light sleeper. The mattresses were almost too firm, so if you want something softer, you may want to inquire if they have any in other rooms. The pillows were very disappointing. Flat as pancakes. I am used to fluffy down pillows. Next time I will bring my own.

The place is charming and reminiscent of days gone by. The pool area is nice - tables, chairs, love seats, umbrellas. There is art everywhere, thus the name. Art for sale, murals on the walls, even lapping water painted around the pool.

The owner, Gail, is fantastic. There is a small fridge in the office with water & juice. She has pastries available in the morning. If you ask her she will tell you all about which beaches to see, etc. She even let us keep our car parked there after checkout while we explored the city.

We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl S
Gail D, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you so much for your positive comment. It's wonderful guests like yourself, that has awarded us the Winner of the 2012, 2013 Trip Advisor Excellence Award. We appreciate your visit to Laguna Beach and we look forward to your next visit. Have a wonderful day!!
Monterey Park, California
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Right near the free shuttle line and a short walk to the beach, it was not just another hotel chain. The hotel is very supportive of local artists and all the art you see on the property is for sale. I like that the hotel wants to be part of the community and it shows a certain mindset that I wish that more businesses had.

Room was comfortable with a mini-fridge and microwave. Jacuzzi jetted bathtub. Everything was clean and decorated nicely. The outdoors jacuzzi and pool are a bit small but with the ocean only 3 minutes away, it's not a big deal. I would suggest this hotel if you don't want to deal with the hustle and bustle of being smack dab in the middle of town but want to be near enough to enjoy the town if you wish. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Take an older friend and get the senior rate. Go off season if you can.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
gailDC51, Public Relations Manager at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 17 July 2013
Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. As a small family owned hotel, we always support our community, it's artists, Visitor's Bureau and the Chamber of Commerce. We take pride in making our guests as comfortable as possible. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit to Laguna Beach.