“Great people,Great experience!”

Ranked #15 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
St.Louis, MO
“Great people,Great experience!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2010

We were just looking for an affordable place too stay near the beach after our cruise and visit too Disneland. This place was perfect...Nothing fancy, but quiet and clean and close too the beach. We just crossed the street and took the sidewalks that led right down too a beautiful beach..There was a big rock coming out of the ocean with sealions basking in the sun...Lots of tide pools that my daughter loved exploring. The pool at the hotel was clean and refreshing. The owners were a delight...So helpful and full of advice on the best places too eat..They sent us down too Dana Point and we ate a restaurant right on the pier..It was it was like the Fishermans wharf or something close too that. We sat on outside and it was spectacular...We had long island ice teas and ordered just some appetizers and salad it was wonderful..The sunset was so beautiful and the surfers were all out in the water....After eating we walked too the end of the pier and got cotton candy and for us Midwesterners it was heaven....Just as I dreamed California would be....It was a wonderufl trip and the drive too Dana Points was so breathtaking. It was a brief stay at the Art Hotel and Laguna beach, but one I will always remember..I do hope too come back someday for a longer stay....

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Korean first
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2010

We stayed during the busy presidents day weekend. We got a great rate - you're a block away from one of the best sunset spots ever. The owner was very sweet and took great care of us. If you're looking to save some bucks and are ok with a basic, clean, motel room (our room had a refrigerator and a microwave) this is the place for you. There is some street noise - but they double pained the windows so it's not that bad.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank beachloverandfamily
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2009

We got disappointed when we saw that the art hotel was covered by another hotel across the street with an ocean view. The bed was squeaky. It seemed that they remodeled their lobby which was nice. Although, they should remodel their rooms too and change their comforters to modernize the room. The ocean view rooms are more like partial view. On the other hand, they have a pool and a jacuzzi which can be used anytime as long as you'll be quiet, the owner said. I called almost all the hotels around the area and all of them were way more expensive. This is the cheapest rate that we got for $89 for a monday night and she upgraded our room with a balcony ocean view. That was nice but still, I think it was a bit pricey for a Monday night and the room was small. They definitely need to change their blow dryer in the bathroom. It was so old school that when my boyfriend and I saw it, we didn't know what it was and when I picked it up, we both got scared because air blew so hard and it sounded like a vacuum cleaner. Overall, it was okay but compare to all the hotels and inns that we've been to, art hotel is on our bottom list. If you're on budget, you really have no choice but to get what you pay for plus it's the location that makes it expensive.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dntnid2knwmuah
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 20 October 2009
This guest was not the person who made the reservation, and was disappointed to be in an economy hotel. I always email the confirmation and I have no recent record of this email address, so I assume the partner made the reservation because our rates were attractive. Upgrading rooms with the talent of Laguna artists is in our off season plans for the Art Hotel - Laguna Beach. These guests gave me no feedback during their stay, more often guests give feedback in helping us keep the rooms in tip/top shape. The neighborhood of North Laguna is beyond belief with Crescent Bay Park by Seal Rock and Cresecent Bay Beach. I am honored to be an economy hotel in this neighborhood.
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2009

as a forty year visitor to laguna beach, i've stayed in many hotels ranging from the montage and surf and sand (two of the most expensive hotels) to the smaller, independently owned hotels. when i needed a room during the height of this past season, my regular hotel was sold out and i was referred to the art hotel. i called and reserved their last room and was quoted a very comptetive price. i was pleasantly surprised when i checked in. the hotel has been refurbished and is very clean and the service is excellent. the owners go the extra mile to make sure their guests are taken care of. i don't know of another hotel in laguna that is better for the price and the north laguna convenience. i would stronly recommend the art hotel to any traveler not needing the expensive, on the beach, accommodations.

Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank lalive
gailDC51, Owner at Art Hotel - Laguna Beach, responded to this review, 16 September 2009
Thank you for your kind words.
portland, oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

you are close to crescent beach.
you are on the free trolley line.
you are near many fine restaurants.

nice outdoors corridors, open spaces with sitting areas.

very friendly hosts, accomodating & warm.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
south wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

We really enjoyed our recent stay at The Art Hotel and this was largely due to the warmth of the manager, Gail Duncan. She was so helpful and friendly that we felt as if we were staying with a friend. Mrs Duncan is keen to give the Hotel a character all its own (she and her husband have only recently taken over) and to that end there are interesting paintings around the hotel - an artist was at work on a fabulous mural while we were there.
Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean with a very large bathroom with jacuzzi bath. Room facilities included a coffee maker, fridge and microwave so it was easy to make breakfast ad other light meals. Fruit, pastries and juice are provided at front desk. There's a shop next door while places like Madison Square and The Cottage are an easy walk if you fancy being pampered at breakfast time.
The Art Hotel is ideally placed for Laguna and the surrounding area. There's a free bus to town that stops just across the road, while the buses for Newport and Long Beach to the North and Dana Point and San Clemente in the South stop outside the hotel (the fare is $1.50 and you can travel for miles) Beaches and a park with wonderful ocean views are a very short walk away. The centre of town is a ten - fifteen minute flat walk.
Although the hotel is on the main Pacific Coast Highway, noise is not really a problem and, anyway, The Art is a motel so it's placed to be convenient and noticeable for motorists. Also, don't expect the gracious public rooms and grounds of a 5 star hotel. However, if you're after comfortable, clean accommodation with an owner who makes you feel at home, then this is for you. We had a great time there and, if we visit Laguna again, we will definitely stay at The Art. Thank you, Mrs Duncan.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank jimmycraig86
hb
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2009

Let me first say that I had planned a beach retreat for my family whom included myself, my husband, my children, my mom , my grandma, my 2 aunts as well as my niece and nephew. I was looking for something on a budget since this would be a 2 night stay for 3 rooms. Let me tell you, I couldn't find a more perfect place then The Art Hotel. I requested for myself and my children an ocean view room, and for my grandma and aunts, a ground level handicapped accessible room (since my grandma is quite frail) and for my mom, niece and nephew a room next to grandmas. Gail, who manages the hotel along with her husband, was more then accomodating. Gail went above and beyond. I did get all the rooms that I requested. The rooms were very clean, not frilly, clean bathrooms, coffee maker, microwave, and a small refrigerater. The children were so excited about the pool, on the day of arrival they went swimming the second they got there. The pool was just perfect (and heated). The very next morning, we had fresh coffee with pasteries on our patio overlooking the ocean and decided to take a short drive to the beach and took the children to see the tidepools. Upon our return, the children decided to go swim again. Afterwards we had some lunch and ate it on our patio. Gail even came by to see how everything was. And the staff was just as great, very friendly, social and accomodating. That evening we went out to eat ( walking distance). My husband even had some time to take in a fishing session (walking distance) while we were there. We all had such a wonderful time & couldn't have had a more perfect family bonding time, Thanks Art Hotel Laguna Beach for making this time to be remembered soo special.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family