“the ceiling fans were the last straw.”

Capri Laguna On The Beach
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Los Angeles, California
“the ceiling fans were the last straw.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I'll just keep it simple.

Bed: the floor was more comfortable.

Pillows: Straight out of a 1990's airliner

Shower: sudden loss of hot water...probably some odd plumbing issue

TV: It worked, but only after I had to re-wire the cable box back to the tv itself. Small thing, but a thing that should have been taken care of, I feel.

A/C: didn't work. It was one of those stand alone units in the room and the only button that worked on it was the on/off switch. Couldn't turn on the A/C so we were beholden to whatever the temperature was outside...provided we could get the fans to work. Speaking of fans

Ceiling fans: Since we had no a/c in the room, we opened up a window and thought we'd just let the fans stir in some sea air at night. Problem is they only work if the ceiling LIGHTS are turned on, leaving us with that A/C unit which would blow air alright, but nothing cool.

Yes, it was clean. Yes it has beach access. Yes it even has free wifi. Despite the fact that it was close to where we wanted to be and it was "a deal," I'll be shelling out the extra cash to stay elsewhere. Cheap, in this case, meant cheap.

I anticipate the manager of the Capri will add a note below regretting our poor stay, but it'll be too little too late. We're not coming back unless the hotel does a complete room overhaul.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CJacobsonLA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Fullerton, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We had a wonderful stay at Capri Laguna. The staff was friendly. Especially Ronna, the manager Fred and the young men manning the chairs and umbrellas on the beach. We especially enjoyed the many spots to sit and lay out and enjoy the ocean breeze, the ocean view, and maybe a picnic all around the hotel without having to go on the sand. Expedia had made a mistake and only reserved us 1 room when we had reserved and paid for 2. Fred, at the hotel, took good care of us. He ended up upgrading us to a better room at no charge. The rooms are a bit on the older side and the beds weren't the most comfortable but nothing that messed with our time there. The continental breakfast had several items, but most importantly, a waffle maker, which my kids loved. They also had great coffee. Although, if you want a special coffee treat go across the street to Koffee Klatch. They have the best chai tea and coffee drinks and the prices are very reasonable. We were there over 4th of July and we were able to watch 3 fireworks shows. It was beautiful. Laguna Beach is a beautiful town to walk around in with lots of shops and restaurants. The "main beach" where the boardwalk is located is about a mile from Capri Laguna but it is a beautiful walk, either on the beach or on the street side, and during the summer months they have a free trolly that goes all through the town. All in all Capri Laguna was a a great experience and a great location with restaurants and shops out the front door and the beach out the back. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I was delighted to see that you had such an enjoyable stay and that your accommodations exceeded your expectations. Our Team is here to serve all of our guests and it is nice to receive such positive feedback that I can share with them. We appreciate your business very much and look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in the Laguna Beach area.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I live local in southern california. I came here with my family and loved it. The views are spectacular the customer service is top notch, Fred and everyone at the front desk was so helpful with everything. The prices are so good compared to other hotels and you have a ocean view room too. I also liked the little backyard to have a picnic with the family. The beach supplies and the pool.I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are ocean view but room 104 have the access to the little back yard. Loved it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Melodie s
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was a nice hotel in a great location. Our room, 102, was beachside with a balcony, table, chairs and chaises. It was clean and updated. We were close to downtown Laguna Beach and walked to three very nice restuarants. The hotel offered chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated one? Beachside rooms do have the surf sound ALL the time, but it did not affect...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bonsai9slc
Fred S, General Manager at Capri Laguna On The Beach, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this awesome review! It really means a lot to our team members to get mentioned by name, so thank you for making a point to recognize them individually! I'm so glad you were so impressed with the guest service...We definitely aim to please! We want our guests to feel like this is their home away from home while on the road, so I'm thrilled that you left with that impression. I truly hope that we will be your first choice if your travels bring you back to the area.
. Thanks for sharing such wonderful feedback about your stay!

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

You have to weigh your options when you limit your preferences to beach front. I had a private patio in room 713- the front desk said it was shared, but the hotel construction worked in my favor! The room adjacent to mine was under renovation;). I did get a sewer smell when my room was closed up -----

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Christine H
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry to hear of your poor experience.
We do thank you for your comments and your feedback. Clearly, that is the only way we really know how we did and where our weaknesses and strengths are. I regret that we dropped the ball so many times during your stay.

I've shared your review with our Housekeeping Dept.and Chief Engineer and have asked for their immediate corrective actions to ensure your experience isn't duplicated. We pride ourselves in our ability to provide excellent experiences, but in this case it seems we've failed. For this we are truly sorry!!!
We hope you'll give us another opportunity to regain your trust. We wish you all the best in your travels.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

We loved our stay at laguna beach! This hotel is a bit older, but the rooms on the beach front are awesome! Nick was great and accommodated us with a room switch witch was terrific! The continental breakfast was great too! As soon as you walk on the beach they're there to greet you with chairs and umbellas or whatever you may need. Restaurant options are good and in walking distance.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Thanks for sharing such wonderful feedback about your stay!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel last year with my boyfriend and some friends. It's located on the beach, which we decided we were willing to pay a little more for.
The place is charming on the outside; the outside is white and has staggered rooms with stairs leading up and down the hotel - it reminded me of Greece. However, the parking situation is tight and there aren't many spaces to choose from (they have an additional lot away from the hotel). When we checked in, our room wasn't booked or there was a problem. Either way,they upgraded both our room and our friend's, so we appreciated that.
The new rooms were closer to the beach with hotel access to the water. However, I think the hotel in general is way overpriced. You are paying for the proximity to the ocean, that's for sure.
The rooms were white and very beachy, but were extremely worn and old. Our window didn't lock, the bathroom was very tiny, and the room needed some TLC. When you're that close to the beach, though, that's usually what you get.
All in all, it wasn't an amazing hotel, but it was nice. The upgraded room closer to the beach was what really made our trip. However, I would not stay here again because it was extremely expensive for even the smaller of rooms.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple